Another stall and spin in a jump aircraft

Guest ozzie

Geez I must talk to Ian about a squelch control on this forum - couple of posters transmitting carrier wave only around here.

Copied from another forum, posted by the jumpmaster on that flight; anyone want to take him up on his offer? (he's 8 hours behind AEST so try not wake him:cheezy grin:)

".........see that the pilots didn't spin the aircraft on purpose - give me a call Sandman and I'll tell you what happened (074) 198 0891

Graham"

From the other forum there was a statement that the pilot thought he was in a spiral dive. In slow motion I can see the elevator still up and right aileron down as the last jumper exited. That isn't quite correct for spiral dive recovery either is it? Isn't it roll out of the spiral and then pull out of the dive?

Perhaps in panic he just did the instinctive thing and tried to pull up and roll level at the same time?

At 4-56 / 4-57 the rudder appears to be hard right (not all that clear) which is the spin direction ...

Ahh yes...looking again I think you're right. The rudder is hard right and then goes hard left just as the cameraman's left arm goes across the field of view. All the frames through 4.55 appear to show left rudder. So the recovery was started within seconds of the last jumper exiting.

Thanks David, it's fun to analyse something like this and it's rare to be able to see a spin from inside and outside the aircraft like that.