Natfly 2012

cazza

After Natfly 2011, a number of people on this forum put up their hands to help for 2012. This thread is an attempt to get together a group of keen people who are willing to be responsible for an area of Natfly organisation. Here are some issues surrounding this.

1. We don't know yet who will be the Board appointed Natfly Coordinator

2. Doesn't matter who it is, once we know after the Board meeting in late september, it would be helpful to present him with a Team of People who have done some 'behind the scenes' legwork and are ready to go to make his life easier.

3. Generally the Natfly Coordinator communicates to Ops people, Council People, the Office and Me by phone and doesn't actually turn up at the Venue until a couple of days before Natfly begins. So all of the program, food, entertainment, etc has to be organised by other people anyway.

3. What if he doesn't want us? I can't imagine that happening. Both candidates live far away and one has never had any organisational experience with Natfly, so I think he'll be thrilled, especially since none of the candidates for Coordinator live in Temora, know the merchants, townspeople, helpers, hangar owners. Natfly is of the members, by the members and for the members. We are members. It's our show. We want to help make it as good as possible.

4. I have done a lot of legwork, because things have to be booked and planned. They can be cancelled, but if someone else books the venues, then we are in trouble.

5. This is a positive member initiative, like the GYFTS program. So I am asking anyone who put their hand up a few months ago, to contact me here or PM, or ring or email and let's have a conversation and be ready to go when we know who the Board Annointed Coordinator is.

Cheers Carol

[email protected]

• Like 1

Guest burbles1

We need direction from the Board on any RA-Aus activity. The Constitution states that there is scope to form a coordinating subcommittee, but that no one on that subcommittee can lead - only follow directions from the Board.

Before anyone breaks off into a "splinter group" and takes on any role regarding NatFly, there must be controlled input from the Board, otherwise we risk going off in directions, and making decisions, that may not be in the best interests of members, and which could be contrary to RA-Aus objectives.

Cazza, it is admirable that you want things to start happening - and you are a valuable contact in getting things done at Temora - but my perceptions from NatFly 2011 were that there was no overall plan of attack. One person just ran around getting little things done here and there - there was no coherent plan that would have reduced the effort involved and made more people responsible for more things.

I went to the election on the basis of taking over the coordination of NatFly, based on high-level planning and considered approaches to attracting sponsorship, etc. Several months later, I still think my ideas encapsulate the best approach to aim for in the long term so that we have effective use of resources and no one person is shouldered with onerous responsibilities. But I hope that whoever on the Board is now responsible, does take action in this direction, and very shortly. I will help where I can, but it needs to be an approach that is consistent with Board approval.

Hi Burbles1,

It would be absolutely great if things worked as you have outlined. But the Board doesn't seem to work that way, at least it didn't the years I was there.

1. There was a plan. The Council had a list of jobs they had to do, the office has a list of jobs, the Operations people look after everything to do with ops, and I had the responsibility of the program. So there was a plan of attack.

2. One problem is, that every job needs many more people to take responsibility for aspects of it. Marshalling, for example, has always been an issue with never enough people involved. Finally a resident of the airfield here put his hand up and organised the Marshalling which went well last year. He is planning on continuing and improving it regardless of who is coordinator.

3. We always put out a call for volunteers in the magazine and we get a few, but it is too little too late. Also our coordinator has a full time job, so the coordination is done by phone and when he arrives at the airfield.

4. What I am trying to do is gather keen people who are willing to take on some of the jobs I had to do, to ensure we have the expertise working on whatever aspects need to be done.

5. THe Board does not have an overall plan, the Board leaves it to the coordinator and his team (me, the council, the office, the operations people).

6. There is a Natfly Subcommittee with a charter to look after Natfly, but the charter deals with policy - not specifics.

I understand what you are saying and I think it is a great idea to wait, but venues, equipment, presenters, need to be booked now, because we need to have something in the December Magazine so that people can decide if they will spend Easter at Temora or not. The deadline for copy for the December Magazine might be in late October. Information should be put up on the website. Surely gathering bodies who want to help now is not going to be a detriment to whomever gets the title.

Natfly used to be one venue with forums. Now it is several hangars with workshops, forums, seminars which require enormous amounts of planning and execution. AV equipment, screens, spare data projectors, computers, and IT person on standby to assist presenters, locking and unlocking private hangars, getting chairs, tables, coffee urns set up, changing the program when a hangar suddenly is not available...the list goes on.

I agree we need to have someone with your skills and expertise to coordinate Natfly. It has grown beyond the point where volunteers who work full time can do the whole thing. But even then you would need willing bodies. That's what I am trying to get.

Cheers, Carol

Guest burbles1

The lack of overall coordination for NatFly is obviously highlighting a major deficiency in the Board - along with apparently so many other woes that forumites complain about. I'd like to see NatFly succeed, but direction has to come from the Board. I certainly can't see much sense running around in circles and stressing out trying to get things done. There must be an announcement at the AGM about who is the coordinator. If there isn't such an announcement, then it may be because the Board sees NatFly as a minor part of RA-Aus activities, and quite possibly expendable ("nice to have", but not necessarily "must have").

The Board can only respond to what members ask of it. If not enough members speak up to say they want to keep NatFly running, then the Board's perception might be "well, we really don't need it anymore". It seems that the Board would best respond to what members ask, rather than ideas that other Board members throw around in meetings. Maybe we need to see NatFly fail one year - then see how many complain. Only then would an apparently nonchalant Board get the message and start to bring in proper planned coordination. I don't know the internal machinations of Board politics, but I get the impression that NatFly is "just another part of business" rather than it being something that is politically expedient for RA-Aus to stay onside with CASA. As such, maybe its failure would not be detrimental to pilots' freedoms (our regulatory freedoms, afterall, is what really matters).

Personally I think the way NatFly was organised, mostly by Carol, was a great effort and was well done...I didn't think there was anything that was unorganised except offcourse and as you will always have, are the little issues that turn up on the day...well done Carol

• Like 2

I feel a bit wary of asking anyone to put in too much planning too early before the board member who is the organizer is chosen. It could be fine but based upon some of the antics I have witnessed from some board members you could get the wrong one... What happens if that board member is a control freak and... freaks! Is there any way to guarantee that the effort will be appreciated?

Thanks for bringing this up Carol... if it can be done that is great... and thanks for your previous efforts. I hope next year I will be there!!!

Guest burbles1

BR, I made an assertion that there was no overall coordination of NatFly (based on personal observations). Cazza has confirmed that she had put up plans at the Board level, which had subsequently failed. So my assertion is correct. Nothing to do with me "being at a different NatFly" - I just see more details.

Despite the outward appearances of Tizz taking notes, nothing has eventuated since - the NatFly coordinator has not even been named, so how do members know what's happening or not, unless we get information out from the Board? How can anyone be sure that things are happening in the background? This issue gets back to freer flow of information to members - it's not that difficult to achieve. What is apparent is the huge inertia when a Board deliberates on the efficacy of "will this or that work" - which is why we need a subcommittee comprised of ordinary members who are "appropriate" in the view of the Board, and who can get on with the job. But it all depends on the Board agreeing to such (and now that some secrets have been let out over the past 12 months, how could the Board be in a position to claim confidentiality as a defence for not allowing members closer to the Board by forming active subcommittees - but I digress).

One thing you raise that has considerable merit is the need for a standing sub-committee that can function over the full 12 months and be, to a great extent, independent of Board Member elections.

Something I'll be looking for clarity on is whether the NATFLY Sub-Committee should report to the CEO or the Board. Normally, Board sub-committees report to the Board and work on matters of policy. Whereas, sub-committees doing work that would otherwise be done by the CEO and his team must report to the CEO for correct functioning.

Thanks Blackrod... this is important... we don't want to be having the same discussion next year... or following the next election.

Ok folks, when deciding on a course of action and you think something bad might happen, look into the abyss! What's the worst think the could go wrong? In this case, the worst result of some early prep work is that the new boss mightn't like it and decide to do it differently, resulting in some wasted work (and some disappointed workers). All up, that's not such a bad risk to be balanced against the rewards of getting some early organisation in and not leaving everything to the last moment. So, if you think you can cope with the possibility of a bit of disappointment, dive in and go for it!

(Having said all that, I'm not in a position to do anything so I will now slink away with my tail between my legs... 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif)

Good on you for getting the discussion underway, Carol.

At one previous NatFly we could book our services as volunteers on the day. A roster allowed breaks from whatever jobs people would do. Perhaps the board could nominate a co-ordination who could post a list of the sorts of jobs, and skills needed, so that we can plan our contribution. The Co-ord might then end up with a list of helpers available well before the event.

Don and Dave,

Have you two thought this through?

Bunny hopping to Temora with a ground suport vehicle in the lead would be fun, but please, for our generation, please don't let any of the kids go with you.

'Cause sure as hell they'll want you to bring one of them IPad thingies. And when you're not looking, they'll infect it with that facebook stuff. And before you know it, with all that time on your hands, you'll be twittering too.

Keep the sunny side up,

Wayne.

• Like 3

Many of us have been very critical of the Board of Management of this Association for various reasons.

This resulted in new blood representing us, and that will produce some change.

What we should NOT do, is prove we were just a bunch of ratbags by openly telling the Board of Management what to do and how to do it.

I would never elect a representative then go to sleep believing he/she will automatically act professionally; you know I have preached watching constantly.

But what is going on in this thread undermines their own meetings and discussions, and is totally inappropriate.

Hello everyone. Thanks to all of you who have put up your hands. Dave, I think its great you want to be the king of 95.10 and 95.25. There are a few new hangars going up around the place. I will try to find your group a 'base or home base' to hang out and talk 95.10, etc.

Can I just make it clear, folks, that the Board does NOT do the program for Natfly. Everyone has input into the program, in terms of what they want, the the most powerful group are the members. I sit down and organise forums by request from members, and staff. No one from the Board in 6 years of organising the program, no one has ever complained about the program or told me not to do something. The Board does not get involved in that level of detail. They appoint a coordinator (Dave Caban is still the coordinator until September 24, and the Board may appoint him again) and the coordinator rings me up and asks "how is the program going?"

That, folks, is the extent of the Board involvement and the extent of the Coordinator involvement in the Program (forums, seminars, workshops).

There is a Natfly Subcommittee with a Subcommittee Charter. I wrote it, I got it past by the Board, and the three menbers are me, Dave Caban and the CEO and it reports to the Board, who doesn't care about the detail. They just leave it to us. Until the Board informs me that I am no longer on the Committee or no longer needed I can do one of two things: One, act like a petulant 4 year old and let Natfly fall in a heap and disappoint all the members who fly to Temora from Western Australia, Darwin, Queensland just to 'teach them a lesson', or act like an adult who has a passion for this organisation and wants to ensure that whomever gets the coordinator title has as much support as possible.

My 2 cents.

Cazza

• Like 5

....But what is going on in this thread undermines their own meetings and discussions, and is totally inappropriate.

Hi Turbo, Just to clarify a couple of things. There haven't been any meetings about Natfly. Dave C. is still the coordinator and I am still the organiser until the Board does something different on Sept 24, which is fine. I am still on the subcommittee until the Board decides otherwise. Technically I am doing my job and in a way that will support the future coordinator, whoever that might be. The Temora Council has asked me to be on their organising committee anyway to assist them in making sure this event is great.

That's why this thread is here.

Cazza

• Like 3

Good on you for getting the discussion underway, Carol.At one previous NatFly we could book our services as volunteers on the day. A roster allowed breaks from whatever jobs people would do. Perhaps the board could nominate a co-ordination who could post a list of the sorts of jobs, and skills needed, so that we can plan our contribution. The Co-ord might then end up with a list of helpers available well before the event.

Hi Koreelah, great idea. The Board won't do that, they expect the coordinator to do that. Will ask Dave to complile a list.

Carol

David, Don and Carol, 100%. I have attended NATFLY, and camped under the wing, for the last 2 years in my yellow canary and thought it was BRILLIANT!!!! 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif Remember the board work for us, we do not work for them. This organization is about (or should be) the sheer love, joy and fun of flying. Personal agendas and politics need not apply!

Just my 0.2c

Maynard

• Like 1

Carol,Rather than debate the merits of whether we will or will not have Natfly, which I personally think is an absurd issue to debate; I would like to offer to co-ordinate the attendance, display and demonstration of early 95-10 and 95-25 aircraft. This will of course be subject to Board approval of such attendance, display and demonstration even though this was raised at the post mortem meeting.

I will start by offerring my 1983, 95-10 Javelin for attendance, display and demonstration.

David

Well David it will definately get my vote.....!

Best Regards

:plane:ED

Don,If I was to fly it to Temora, from Warnervale at 35knots, do you reckon I could win the longest flight (in time) award 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

David

According to my l o n g r a n g e f o r e c a s t you will have a 25 knot head wind so you should romp it in.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan Marriette.

• 3 weeks later...

Well lads, I am working away to line up some forums and workshops. EAch year, members of this forum give me suggestions on seminars or workshops they would like to have provided. So here is your chance. What do you want? I am especially interested in rag and tube seminars. I am also looking for people to put up their hands to conduct a forum, workshop, or even a rountable discussion. I am getting hangars for the program. So I need suggestions and I need help from you. Are you willing to 'host' a hangar, that is introduce the presenter, make sure they stay on time, tell people where the loos are, shut the hangar up at the end of the day?

I also need someone who will man the PA system, be the 'voice' of Natfly so to speak. Help please.

Cheers, Cazza

Hey Don!!!!,

Will try to contact Wayne. Remember last year he was a last minute fill in for Steve Bell's Thursday session and he had to leave on Friday after a one-hour session. The fact that we discovered he is brilliant at presenting is a BONUS. Anyone else you want to recommend? Also I need an IT person to be on call in case presenters can't get their ppt to work. IT people who are coming to Natfly, please put up your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!

cazza

Crickey, Cazza, the show is on the road already!

I would love to see a hands-on session, complete with big-screen demos, of finding NOTAMs, weather briefings, etc.

A whole hour session could be filled with associated topics, so that we're sure everyone can really access all the safety info they need for a flight.

We once had a CASA/Airservices lady tell a packed house at Narromine all about flying Victor One. Perhaps they could run a session on getting to grips with the many services they offer.

Lyle

• Like 3