Oil recovery system

old man emu

The trouble with oil separators is the oil is contaminated with water. Returning the contaminants is a false saving. Where ranging or "greasy belly' is a problem, perhaps it is justified to some exptent but I would rather not contaminate the oil in the engine. Nev.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can't see any reason why that design shouldn't work, it has sufficient baffles with sufficient clearance and oil drainage . A cyclonic one would take up less space but if it works don't knock it..

cheers

paul

• 2 weeks later...

Several (older) motorcycles that I know of have oil/air seperators consisting of a labyrinth with a 12-19mm inlet ( that would be the breater on a Jab.) a breather outlet to under the bike and a 6mm id return ( to a rocker cover I guess? on a Jab. ) . I am certain that is what the 3300 needs. The 3300 that I take care of is losing/using about 80mls per hour. I think that most of that is ending up in the bottle or under the fuse. I think the drawing shown is incomplete, The body looks right, BUT the inlet and outlet should be on the same (upper) level, seperated by the plates. A 6mm outlet should be a return to a rocker cover. Any pressure coming from the crankcase would be relieved by the (large) (19mm) outlet. Leaving the smaller pipe to collect oil to be returned to the engine. The large outlet from the tank would vent to atmosphere. The trick is to have the whole unit above the crankcase high point. Normally this oil loss would not be an issue but on a planned long flight you could easily lose a pint or two. The Main problem is the crankcase capacity is just TOO SMALL......