door latches

raymondhallatt

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if it's ok to fly a supapup with the door open?? I wouldn't have thought so but it seems it's fine on sport cubs and some others so i wasn't sure,

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if it's ok to fly a supapup with the door open?? I wouldn't have thought so but it seems it's fine on sport cubs and some others so i wasn't sure,

I've flow a thruster with no doors, so guess it can be done with a supapup. but beware its hell on hair style and impossible to open maps and documents

Flying with no doors is a different proposition to flying with the doors open. Because the Supa Pup door is hinged at the top the door will rise up against the wing latch and stay there if opened during flight and prove to be extremely difficult to close back down. You could also experience oscilation of the door itself. I have never tried it when I owned a Supa Pup Mk4. My Supa Pup Mk2 had sliding windows which worked well and my L4 Piper Cub had the top half of the door (the window part) hinged and I used to regularly fly it with the window up however I had it supported by a bracket which held it more securely.

I wouldn't like to try removing both doors on an Aeropup.

Alan.

The standard savannah has small over centre clips that go to the leading edge of the door to the front cabin strut to keep it closed. Reg Brost does a 3 point door latch kit that solves this but I do see a lot of guys using the std latches

I can take a pic of mine they are not fitted yet if you want

Mark