Cessna 170... Oh what fun!

Tomo

As the title indicates... I indulged myself to aviation today and got my tail wheel endorsement in a Cessna 170 - a mates aircraft.

Got Matt Handley (from Aerotec) to do the instructing for me - he flies all sorts of great and wonderful warbirds!

After some briefing we headed to the aircraft... Started up (pull knob starter for those that know) and taxied to the run up bay, run ups etc... did the take off, which was a fairly reasonable one for first time in large aircraft. In a sense directional control was a lot easier than a drifters! We were going to go to the training area to get me used to the aeroplane but he changed that as he said I didn't seem to have any problem adjusting to another aircraft. Around we went, base, final... I asked if he could demonstrate a landing first... so he took over late final and did a three pointer. Taking off, and around again I did my first three pointer in this aircraft, which was surprisingly comfortable, hold off and on we were. We started on the grass runway first to get me used to it. After a few more we switched to the bitumen, and did some more. Didn't seem to have any drama with three pointers, was getting pretty comfortable with the aircraft, and to be honest thoroughly enjoying it! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif I found directional control once again similar to a Drifters, so I'm glad I have that experience as I didn't have to much trouble switching over.

Headed in for a drink a bit of a break about an hour of various approaches with the three point landings. Went back out after a bit to tackle some wheelers... now I've never been real good at wheeling tail wheel aircraft, so I knew this was going to be a bit interesting! Anyway he demonstrated the first one, then it was for me to follow suit. The first one went pretty well, so I kinda thought maybe they aren't so bad after all. But the next few I wasn't very impressed at all, if you don't check it forward at the right time it's a little bit disconcerting. Had some hairy moments there for one of them but he said I handled the situation well and maintained control, so I guess that's not so bad.

After another half dozen or so wheelers I think I finally got the hang of it... did some cross wind stuff to see if I can handle that etc... Some flapless in both wheeling and three point. In the end I was enjoying myself that much I would come in on a wheeler, and keep it on it's mains and take off again, took a bit of juggling to manage that and get the flaps away whilst keeping straight, but got there after a couple. Man how fun is that!! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Nothing like feeding in power while balancing on two wheels! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

So we did just over three hours of all sorts of different things... then did the paper work... so now I'm a GA tail wheel man! Oh so fun 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Anyway enough of my waffling, here's a photo of the bird, 'tis a beauty :thumb_up:

303127_1505679178710_1736203604_771091_457049452_n.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Sounds like u had a great time Tomo, well done. You really should be proud of yourself achieving things like this at your young age. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

Well hows that, I was wondering who was in the 170 with Matt, I was listening to the radio most of the day. In fact i think I was airside at one point when you were doing circuits. Next time your around come and say G'day if you have the time, I work in the office/building right next to Al's hangar. Did you get the chance to see the 170 at the back of the Hangar? I worked on that aircraft... sanding and polishing, sanding and polishing. And no doubt you would have checked out the new T-28A at Aerotec facility

Matt is a good instructor. Actually we have a few really good instructors in Toowoomba

Cheers

Thanks guys!

Well hows that, I was wondering who was in the 170 with Matt, I was listening to the radio most of the day. In fact i think I was airside at one point when you were doing circuits. Next time your around come and say G'day if you have the time, I work in the office/building right next to Al's hangar. Did you get the chance to see the 170 at the back of the Hangar? I worked on that aircraft... sanding and polishing, sanding and polishing. And no doubt you would have checked out the new T-28A at Aerotec facilityMatt is a good instructor. Actually we have a few really good instructors in Toowoomba

Cheers

I was thinking of you today, but forgot where you worked, will pop in next time for sure. So that's you who has been polishing that 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif I use it as a mirror when I walk past... 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif Yes was checking out the new T-28, looks like a beauty. What's that, the fourth one for that hanger... not a bad collection. :thumb_up: (Tim should store it in the aeroclub hanger... wouldn't that be impressive 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Will have to get Matt to take me for a run in the Fiat some day... now that would be sweet! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Brett is right, you really should be proud of your achievements at your age ... we are proud of you mate. Don't get too big a head though will you buddy.

David

Having people to enjoy it with is what makes it all worth while, so thanks everyone for your encouragement. Thanks also for the heads up DI, encouragement is what keeps me going, but I do try and make sure it doesn't turn me zombi.

• Like 1

Well done mate, did you solo it? Your post doesn't say... There,s anew resident 170 at ycab now too.good tailwheel - equals currency!

No didn't solo it this time, I need to be put on the insurance first.

• 1 month later...

Good sort of a thing to have a go at. Funny how few people fly taildraggers using the 3-point technique these days. Hardly anyone wheeled them on in their day. There is a cessna C-34?( radial engined) and very similar to the 170 made before it was. I'm not surprised that going from the Drifter to the cessna was no big deal. I've always felt that the Drifter had very similar characteristics to the Tigermoth except that you can see out of it. Nev

To me the 170 is such a better looking machine than say a 172 and like you say heaps of fun.

Very much so!!! I reckon they are even more stable in the air, not sure if that's just a placebo affect, or without the nose wheel it's more streamline.

As the title indicates... I indulged myself to aviation today and got my tail wheel endorsement in a Cessna 170 - a mates aircraft.

Hi Tomo

Great stuff, mate... you should be feeling really chuffed with yourself. Not a terribly easy aircraft to handle and it sounds like you did it with real aplomb.

How about crosswinds?

kaz

Good sort of a thing to have a go at. Funny how few people fly taildraggers using the 3-point technique these days. Hardly anyone wheeled them on in their day. There is a cessna C-34?( radial engined) and very similar to the 170 made before it was. I'm not surprised that going from the Drifter to the cessna was no big deal. I've always felt that the Drifter had very similar characteristics to the Tigermoth except that you can see out of it. Nev

Hi Nev

I'm one of the funny ones 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I generally 3 point the Auster, especially if I am landing on a narrow airstrip or somewhere with a rough surface because I can touch down some 5 knots slower (stall it on rather than fly it on).

Many TW drivers would perhaps agree with me that the Auster is more difficult to wheel nicely because they bounce so damned easily, too. Cessnas are generally regarded as easier to wheel and a little harder to 3 point, I think.

Cheers

kaz

....I worked on that aircraft... sanding and polishing, sanding and polishing. And no doubt you would have checked out the new T-28A at Aerotec facility...

Hi ScottW

I saw your name against a photo of BYM today. Did you work on it at Archerfield when Bob Boagey had her by any chance?

kaz

How about crosswinds?

During the endorsement we didn't have any serious crosswinds, probably max at 8-10kts variable x-wind. But Matt said I handled everything right, and he'd seen me fly the Drifter in some pretty hairy winds. So was happy with it.

I found it easier to 3 point, but don't know, I've never like wheelers, but some aircraft prefer it over the three point from what I understand.

During the endorsement we didn't have any serious crosswinds, probably max at 8-10kts variable x-wind. But Matt said I handled everything right, and he'd seen me fly the Drifter in some pretty hairy winds. So was happy with it.I found it easier to 3 point, but don't know, I've never like wheelers, but some aircraft prefer it over the three point from what I understand.

That's a good effort, Tomo. 10 knots is more than the demonstrated max for the Auster!

I seem to recall DJP saying he prefers 3-pointers in the Decathlon, too... (DJP?)

kaz

Congrats Tomo, That plane looks like a lot of fun.

I'm Just back from Aldinga (3000Km round trip drive) where I done a bit over 8hrs in Sport Cubs with Alaskan bush wheels to begin my RAA Tail Wheel endorsement training.

I couldn't believe how much more I enjoyed flying those than tricycle gear planes.

I went ok for having never been in anything T.W. prior and I did the last flight solo in good conditions :) but i still need to get a handle on cross wind landings etc. That really applies to my tricycle flying too.

I think after just three days exposed to these things i've decided that stick and rudder tail wheel flying is where it's at for me...

I couldn't believe how much more I enjoyed flying those than tricycle gear planes.I went ok for having never been in anything T.W. prior and I did the last flight solo in good conditions :) but i still need to get a handle on cross wind landings etc. That really applies to my tricycle flying too.

I think after just three days exposed to these things i've decided that stick and rudder tail wheel flying is where it's at for me...

Yeah sounds like you've been bitten! It's a great way to enjoy flying, flying tricycle carriage is just to easy and so many less "whoa!" moments... which make t/w flying all the more fun! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Don't be afraid to stick it on one wheel in those cross winds, or two wheels in the case of a three pointer landing...