Inverted Spin Recovery

djpacro

From that other thread about that old USN training film about inverted spin recovery.

Work colleague just started a discussion about inverted spinning so reminded me of it. Great video - worth noting a few things:

• statement that there is no reason for confusion - simply apply rudder against the yaw - fine but the N3N inverted spin is flattish. The Decathlon for example is much steeper and the fact that it is rolling in the opposite direction to the yaw is very disorientating.

• confirm direction of yaw by looking at the turn needle - fine but modern turn co-ordinators sense both roll and yaw therefore cannot be relied upon to indicate direction of yaw.

• the N3N recovery action of applying full back stick (with full rudder) will, in the Decathlon for example, result in transition to an upright spin.

• more ready recovery from the inverted spin than the upright spin - generally true.

• Like 1

... The Decathlon for example is much steeper and the fact that it is rolling in the opposite direction to the yaw is very disorientating.

DJP, I just read that and went through in my mind what that would feel like ...

038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gifblink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif046_fear.gif.84b83182244bd664b8a3a0c1e803f021.gif

Help! I'm glad I can't invert spin!

Peter

It seems that spin recovery is as individual and subjective as landing techniques.

It seems that there is a vast difference in what is best to teach for an unintentional emergency spin or a competition or otherwise intentional spin by someone who is practiced and expecting it. Having said that, there have been some accidents where an intentional spin has resulted in unintentional aircraft state and the pilot became confused.

I was taught that if a comp spin does not recover in the expected manner, be prepared to treat it as an emergency spin and react appropriately.

Because I don't do a heck of a lot of spinning I put a lot of thought into it and expect it to go wrong... which occasionally it does :big_grin:

• 3 years later...

You will probably only get into an inverted spin if you "muckup" the recovery from a normal one. (too much forward stick) unless you are very deliberate about it when you enter it inverted A "conventional " plane with lifting section wing and a positive rigger's angle of incidence may be very difficult to spin inverted.

In a spin,the rudder is more effective when the aircraft is inverted, because it is not shielded by the elevators, BUT I (myself, Me) would revert to upright and do what I'm more used to rather than carry out a somewhat more confusing manoeuver, that I'm not in practice with..

Some of the initial "spins" are flick rolls, more than spins. Good pics.

All good grist for the mill but don't go doing this sort of thing on your own, based on a few things on line. By ALL means, do it the right way in the right plane and the right instruction. ( this should be a requirement for ALL instructors GA and RAAus). I have done it, and taught it, and would not like to do any flying career without that basic knowledge. Nev

You will probably only get into an inverted spin if you "muckup" the recovery from a normal one. (too much forward stick)

Interesting discussion point - yes, too much forward stick in recovery from an upright spin on some types will result in a cross-over to an inverted spin. However, some types require full forward stick to even recover from an upright spin despite one being happy to spin inverted from other entries.A Pitts will invariably enter a flat inverted spin from several of the basic manoeuvres if not done correctly. (Incidentally, per the flight manual - recovery is not PARE). A Decathlon is just as happy with an unintentional inverted or upright spin from a failed roll off the top.

Some of the initial "spins" are flick rolls, more than spins. Good pics.

The Cessna 15o likewise has a similar aggressive entry to a spin from those skidded turns.