Brett's Helicopter Adventures

Guest iPilot

So I thought I'd put a post up here with some of my flying "adventures" while I'm hour building in the R-44. I'm just lucky I get a good rate on the helicopter! I should be able to do one or two hours most weekends that I'm home.

The family came up with me for a trip around Perth city and a run down the beach before taking a few photos of the new house we bought. Nice and close to Serpentine airfield now for some fixed wing flying!

I also had the pleasure of taking some friends to Rottnest for lunch.

So every now and then I'll post a video or two of flights I've been out on. If you're in Perth and want to come and check it out, give me a call and lets see if we can arrange something!

Awesome stuff!! Looks great... I'd love to try a heli ride one day...

Well if you're ever over this way, give me a yell! I'll take you up for sure!

Guest davidh10

Enjoyed the videos.

Only flown in a helo once. It was over the glaciers in NZ and was, for both my wife and I, the highlight of our holiday. Just magic. It cost a lot but was really worth it.

The weather wasn't great. We had to pick our way between clouds and ended up in a white-out at the first attempted landing on the snow, but the chief pilot was really good. It was the only flight of the day, after his other pilot had declined to fly and the weather closed in as we returned to base.

Hey Major! That's me mate, good to be back on for sure! Good to see things are kicking along nicely here!

Not ruda at all Hongie, I did all of my training at Heliwest in Perth, R-22 is $465 per hour and R-44 is $715 per hour. These are pre-GST as there's no GST on the CPL(H). Also, these are wet hire rates and there's no landing fee's with heli training. All up, not a lot of change out of $70,000

Hey David, I still believe it's one of the best ways of getting around, expensive it is but like you said, certainly well worth it!

I love taking people flying, it's just an awesome feeling showing people around in a helicopter. Best decision I've ever made getting a CPL(H) I reckon! Mind you, I still love flying the RAAus aircraft around as well.

Well if you're ever over this way, give me a yell! I'll take you up for sure!

Would love to! Now all I need is an excuse to go to Perth! Hmmmm..... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

R-22 is $465 per hour and R-44 is $715 per hour....... All up, not a lot of change out of $70,000

Wow.

Guest Maj Millard

Good to hear from you gain Brett...didn't think you should have ever left !!..........you've come a ways in the meantime !!....................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif :thumb_up:

Good to hear from you gain Brett...didn't think you should have ever left !!..........you've come a ways in the meantime !!....................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif :thumb_up:

I missed good conversation and fellow aviators Maj! Had to focus on studies as well!

Best answer for you Jerra, there is no limitations in the R-44 manual for winds at all. The advantage with helicopters is sideways flight and can always track or hover nose into wind. The one issue to keep in mind is loss of tail rotor effectiveness (LTE) and that's always a risk when, especially in the R-44, the wind is coming from the left side or from the tail.

This will give you a good idea of LTE

http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodynamics/loss_tail_eff/

This is how quick it can happen.

OK, now various schools around Australia have their own limitations for students and private hire pilots and they'll vary on location.

Hope that helps!

Oh and the full report on the incident can be read here

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/666073/aair200600738_001.pdf

Mag!! Good to see you mate, yeah get back in the air, get that BFR done for sure! I haven't been to Bunbury in ages, flew down there twice in the R-44 on a couple of nav's.

I'm hoping to drop down there again soon though, might do my RAAus BFR with Lloyd.