2 Choices for all users

Admin

How do you want the site to be updated  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want the site to be updated

• One big bang with every change all at once
    • Gradually over a period of time so you can get use to each little update

As you know the site is going to be updated and it is being heavily worked on at the moment in a development environment on my PC.

So as each update is completed I would like to know what you prefer...update the site in a couple of months in one big bang OR as each part is completed, apply it to this site so you can see/comment/get use to each part over that time?

If you choose over a period of time, as I implement each little change, I will make a post announcing the change for you to comment on and discuss to get that component right before the next one

Pete, send me your phone number and I will help...by PM :big_grin:

Seriously though please, and this goes for every user, give me a ring on 03 9444-8025 if you have an issue and I will always try and help you over the phone...it's no bother at all

• Like 1

Pete, send me your phone number and I will help...by PM :big_grin:Seriously though please, and this goes for every user, give me a ring on 03 9444-8025 if you have an issue and I will always try and help you over the phone...it's no bother at all

Excuse my ignorance Ian, but was is a PM?

Excuse my ignorance Ian, but was is a PM?

There is no ignorance here mate...a PM is what is commonly referred to in forums as a "Private Message". When we moved to the new and more modern software, the PM became known as a PC (Personal Conversation) but as you can assume the term PC is too common with "Personal Computer" so it can confuse some people.

The PM/PC system is what you use to converse with other site members without it being in public by being in the forums themselves and it can be accessed by clicking the word "Inbox" (registered users only) that is located on the right of the main menu...from there you can create Personal Conversations with 1 or more other users.

If another user starts a conversation with you or adds a reply to an existing conversation, a RED indicator will be displayed above the "Inbox" word of the main menu

David, let's not confuse people with RAD, Agile, 6 Sigma, PMI, Prince2, Method 1 etc all within an Itil framework...do you want to hear about each change, look at it, try it and if necessary comment on it over a period of 2 months or wait for 2 months and get everything all at once?

Guest davidh10

I voted for "Gradually". Incremental change is easier for users to digest. It also allows functionality to be fine tuned in the light of usage and feedback before releasing the next change. That also spreads the load for a developer, having small corrections or changes rather than a big list across a bunch of functionality.

"Method 1" takes me back a goodly number of years! I remember it filled a Brownbuilt, two door, full height cabinet.... and the most useful item was the "Quick reference card".003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

One new thing at a time is the least stressful way to introduce changes both for users and developers/implementers so option 2 got my vote.

I used to like the big bang approach when I was in IT though, as when the Go Live button was pushed it was adrenaline all the way especially when there was brown stuff being hurled in all directions from multiple fans.

:ah_oh: Hi Ian I vote for gradual changes. There is enough stress in life this is suspost to be enjoyable enviroment.

Keep up the good work we all appreciate you, so please be kind to yourself, and go fly 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif and enjoy 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif.

please be kind to yourself, and go fly 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif and enjoy 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif.

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif...No money, have to do a BFR, weigh 110kg so rules out cheap aircraft I can fly like Gazelle, which means Jab or CT (refer to "No Money"), so means some hrs getting use to another type of aircraft first before BFR...again refer "No Money"

There is no ignorance here mate...a PM is what is commonly referred to in forums as a "Private Message". When we moved to the new and more modern software, the PM became known as a PC (Personal Conversation) but as you can assume the term PC is too common with "Personal Computer" so it can confuse some people.The PM/PC system is what you use to converse with other site members without it being in public by being in the forums themselves and it can be accessed by clicking the word "Inbox" (registered users only) that is located on the right of the main menu...from there you can create Personal Conversations with 1 or more other users.

If another user starts a conversation with you or adds a reply to an existing conversation, a RED indicator will be displayed above the "Inbox" word of the main menu

Oh ......... phew I thought it might have been Post Mortem. Not a nice way to find out about stuff.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

• Like 1

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Sometimes us whipper snappers need time too. You're talking to someone who still refuses to have a PC with Windows 7. And I still use Office 2002... .

The Poll has only been up for 13hrs and with 41 votes so far it is showing 3:1 and has been consistently showing that ratio all day.

Actually, contrary to some thoughts, it is actually harder and more work to do sequential updates then the big bang theory although the risk is a lot less. When you add/change a component to an existing site you have to make sure that nothing clashes with existing functions which can require you to do extra work to make it work even though the other component is going to change anyway. You have to remove existing functionality first when you replace it and make sure there isn't any legacy code left behind however you may have to leave something behind to make something else work properly in the interim etc etc etc...all things you don't have to do do if developing from the ground up. But, developing from the ground up has its issues especially if you don't continually keep the users informed as you could end up on a completely off track path that when you go live you need to do major re-work for user acceptance.

The biggest issue with the sequential release approach is the continual impact on users with constant change...the only way to overcome this is communication, communication and communication

The biggest issue with the Big Bang Theory is the risk when you do let it loose on users as in this case issues can be much much harder to find and take longer to fix even to the point that the entire infrastructure could be proven to be wrong in the first place.

As the poll has continually been showing the 3:1 ratio for sequential releases I will start on that path. The two major impacts on users will be the restructure of the forums list and the move to the .com address. Other then these 2 changes everything else should be a joy to proceed through with actually knowing the changes and exploring the benefits of each one...one at a time.

Thanks for your input, it has helped a great deal in making sure that I proceed in a manner that is ok with you.

Might I suggest that all you cyber mechanics inform us ignorant users what the hell you're talking about. Ok, Ian has covered PM and PC, although PC also stands for Politically Correct. If you're talking about a computer, personal or not, call it a computer. What the hell is RAD in layman's language? If you must use 'idiotgrams' or what ever they're called, please explain them at least once.

Might I suggest that all you cyber mechanics inform us ignorant users what the hell you're talking about. Ok, Ian has covered PM and PC, although PC also stands for Politically Correct. If you're talking about a computer, personal or not, call it a computer. What the hell is RAD in layman's language? If you must use 'idiotgrams' or what ever they're called, please explain them at least once.

RAD = Rapid Application Development...used to develop on the fly so to speak and release small segments of a large project objective

Agile = Is another application development process that delivers a completed product but then often requires major change as technology or user requirements have changed whilst the development took place

6 Sigma = A quality management process that breaks down an overall objective into smaller components to achieving a project's expected outcomes

PMI = Project Management Institute framework used to deliver a project successfully and covers 7 key bodies of knowledge over each phase of a project...I have had this argument with many others in the question of whether PMI is a "Methodology" or is it a "Framework"

Prince2 = A project management methodology that tends to bog a project manager down in paperwork and applies less importance on the project schedule but regards each component of a project as a "product"

Method1 = Again a methodology that was promoted and used heavily many years ago. For memory it was either started by Andersons or one of the Big 5 Accounting Firms. It again attempted to deliver projects in a manner that was defined in a different way with the objective of ensuring due process was followed/

Itil = Is a framework of quality standards that attempts to add "Quality" measurements on every process that is undertaken to ensure the deliverables are within those desired quality objectives

The above is only a very short interpretation and doesn't go into specific detail but should be enough to answer your question Deskpilot and help to teach you not to bother asking such silly questions again 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif :imaPoser:

• Like 1

Lol .....cybernet term, at this rate we'll all be computer mechanics/programmers. Do they run courses at uni that cover computer jargon. It's a whole new world ....wel of language anyway.

Well here is a little snippet that is on my screen at the moment that I am working on...this should help Flindersflyer:

{xen:phrase likes_youve_received}{xen:helper pagenumber, $page}
{xen:phrase likes_youve_received}

{xen:raw $item.listTemplate}
                 {$item.like_date}

{xen:phrase unfortunately_none_of_your_content_has_received_any_likes_yet}

• Like 1

well you have all lost me sometimes i think

i have reached an age where i cant be bothered keeping up with all this crap

will concerntrate on the things that matter

anyway what does, lol mean, as it seems to be used a lot

??????

well you have all lost me sometimes i thinki have reached an age where i cant be bothered keeping up with all this crap

??????

lol means laugh out loud. What does ?????? mean?

Pud

well you have all lost me sometimes i thinki have reached an age where i cant be bothered keeping up with all this crap

??????

I think it can also understand to be Lots Of Love.... ROFL