Solomon's Flight Training.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well were you planning to spend our money Guernsey?

No!! What I was saying is that if RaaUs paid for flying scholarships with our money there would be members who would complain, particularly those members who currently complain about the cost of their membership and what they are getting for it. I am not one of those people and consider what RaaUs provides for our fees is excellent value.

Perhaps I should keep my thoughts and suggestions to myself in future and just become a 'Lurker' because I always seem to be misinterpreted.

Alan.

Perhaps I should keep my thoughts and suggestions to myself in future and just become a 'Lurker' because I always seem to be misinterpreted.

Alan.

Don't do that Mr Alan!! I understood you... just some people take things a bit strangely sometimes!! compress.gif.fe2f1703f181408c4947cc1d378facee.gif

Philosophical Tomo... 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Thanks Tomo I'm not sure if they take things strangely or are just strange I even have one forumite suggesting I am a 'Money Bags' ???

Where in the wild blue yonder did that come from.

I'm going to bed, watch television and then ponder my future on this forum.

Alan Marriette.

Hey Alan, don't worry about the tags, I am sure it was tongue in cheek. Don't lurk mate, your input is valued. Not all people understand everyone all the time. I am also one of those that reckon we (raa-aus members) should be encouraging youngsters to get the chance to fly. If we get 10 out of 100 that decide to continue then surely that is a good return on the investment in $, time and the future of the sport. Those that treat edxpenditure on this sport on a profit and loss basis are going to be sad and sorry when they come to do their own books. You can't put an accounting on pleasure and involvement. The investment in time effort and $ into Solomans training by the members involved has, I am sure, been a labour of love for the sport. No books would have been kept and the JAFFA's would not have been involved.

I have no objection to the Raa-aus fee increase, I consider it a cheap investment for the pleasure I get out of flying. I would love to be known as a money bags but I don't have the resources to carry the title.

No!! What I was saying is that if RaaUs paid for flying scholarships with our money there would be members who would complain, particularly those members who currently complain about the cost of their membership and what they are getting for it. I am not one of those people and consider what RaaUs provides for our fees is excellent value.Perhaps I should keep my thoughts and suggestions to myself in future and just become a 'Lurker' because I always seem to be misinterpreted.

Alan.

Take another look at post #72 That was pretty clear, and you can only expect a reaction if you bag people.

the problem with subsidising pilot training is that you end up with a bunch of pilots who can't afford to fly. trust me the clifton club has been doing this for a while and once the free flying finishes up they are a just a memory. maybe its different for GYFTS but my overall impression of subsidisied training is that its a waste of money that could be spent on chasing real pilots.

Not the same for all cases though... I'm applying for it because I'm off to uni next year and there is no way I could finish my certificate and pay for uni at the same time as lessons would be so spread out it would take me the whole 6 years I'll be at uni to finish the cert.! If I got the scholarship and finished it though, I could easily afford the private hire sporadically and with a pax endo cost sharing comes into it too. There is a bit of a difference between being able to afford training and being able to afford to fly.

I'm totally confused here, what have I said on this topic to make you say that.Alan.

Relax Alan, it was a joke... there was a smiley thing at the end see. You were having a dig at folks complaining about the RAaus fee and suggested we could all be paying more to give some people free flight training so the inference was to lead by example! I'm with F_T and Turbo on this, it's well intentioned but probably not entirely beneficial for the organisation as a whole in the long run. Having a fund for voluntary contributions from members would be fine of course, Motz and others have done just that helping out young Solomon.

Guest davidh10

Maybe someone should actually understand what the GYFTS programme really is. There's two components of it. One part is sponsored by Airservices Australia.... no RAA money is used. The other part is funded by member donations. Again no RAA money is used.

So it does not increase fees and fee whingers are safe in the assurance that donation is optional.

While it is inevitable that not every recipient will go on with flying after the programme, there is a fairly stringent application process that includes not just a written application, but then also a panel interview. This process assures the greatest chance that the recipients are motivated and helping themselves as well, with a goal of becoming involved in the aviation industry.

So as far as possible, money is not wasted!

I've made a small donation twice in the last two years. As the leaflet sent with licence and registration renewal says, if every member gave just $2, then it would support 5 scholarships of $3,500 each.

Relax Alan, it was a joke... there was a smiley thing at the end see. You were having a dig at folks complaining about the RAaus fee and suggested we could all be paying more to give some people free flight training so the inference was to lead by example! I'm with F_T and Turbo on this, it's well intentioned but probably not entirely beneficial for the organisation as a whole in the long run. Having a fund for voluntary contributions from members would be fine of course, Motz and others have done just that helping out young Solomon.

It wasn't a smiley it was a thank you.

But I will now accept it as being a joke.

It is interesting that the original person who posted (I just commented on it ) did not receive the flak that I did.

Alan.

Thanks for the reminder of how GYFTS works David, that is how it should be.Fee whingers again eh? Haha, considering this as a new user name now - I take it anyone who bags out 'fee whingers' is in the cashed up 1% right? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif poking.gif.62337b1540bd66201712a53e2664c9b4.gif

Don't agree with that statement, as others have mentioned on other posts, what we get from our RaaUs membership fees is in my opinion and others very good value for money

and your suggestion that I may be in the 1% cashed up group could not be further from the truth. I pay membership to two seperate flying clubs, inject money and physical effort into one of those, pay $50 per year to help support this site ( I better not complain about those who don't in case I'm accused of forum member bashing) send money to Mozambique to help underprivileged children, help support my local church.......better stop before I am accused of showing off...I believe there is more pleasure from giving than receiving. So to make sure I haven't offended anyone on this Forum I'll add a few smilies.....that should do the trick. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif Forgot to add, both my wife and I are on old age pensions.

Tongue in cheek, Alan.

• Like 3

It wasn't a smiley it was a thank you.But I will now accept it as being a joke. It is interesting that the original person who posted (I just commented on it ) did not receive the flak that I did.

Alan.

Hello Alan, you didn't 'receive any flak', I was just having a friendly dig at you as you said "there are members of RaaUs who complain about their membership fees already, it would only give them more fuel to whinge". To many folk $185 is still a fair bit of money, personally I wouldn't be labelling them complainers and whingers just for raising the question, kinda came across as perhaps a tad harsh this time....

But getting back to the thread topic, I hope Solomon is able to continue his training.

Hello Alan, you didn't 'receive any flak', I was just having a friendly dig at you as you said "there are members of RaaUs who complain about their membership fees already, it would only give them more fuel to whinge". To many folk $185 is still a fair bit of money, personally I wouldn't be labelling them complainers and whingers just for raising the question, kinda came across as perhaps a tad harsh this time....But getting back to the thread topic, I hope Solomon is able to continue his training.

Thanks for the response, I hope you no longer consider me 'Cashed up 1% ' although there was a time years back in Guernsey when I was slightly better off and took a young man all the way through from an Air Scout through to his full Commercial and he wasn't a relative.

No more hurtful 'digs' please. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Alan.099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Hi Alan,

Don't become a lurker, mate! We all value your contributions. I have also sometimes had a post somewhat mis-interpreted IMO and didn't really understand how/why, but I don't really give a ^&$% and I carry on posting anyway....thick skin, or maybe just thick head blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

I also agree with Robinsm - you put a value on the membership relative to what you consider you get out of it, rather than the dollar figure. If you think the annual fee is good value (which I do) compared to other stuff you could spend the same dollars on then it is worth it.

I am "cashed up" in the sense my mortgage is now paid off, but I am still working for the moment, so currently money is going into my super, but allowing some to be spent doing stuff I enjoy while still physically able to do - ie flying. While still paying the mortgage flying would have been a lot more difficult to afford/justify, but ultimately we are all privileged to be able to fly aeroplanes, and I also recognize that there are countless others who will never be in a position to do so. I am sure there are others here who also try to help those who are less fortunate - I sponsor a child through World Vision, and when I get the letters from my sponsored child saying how much they appreciate it I consider that an excellent investment.....I would strongly encourage others to sponsor a child too.

Cheers

Neil

This is all "off topic" but I'm cashed up as well. At least for this week only and I'm flying this afternoon for the first time since April. Gotta do a few circuits with an FI but what the hell, I'll be airborne again. super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif Safely.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howard Hughes
I've made a small donation twice in the last two years. As the leaflet sent with licence and registration renewal says, if every member gave just $2, then it would support 5 scholarships of $3,500 each.

Can you donate if you're not an RAA member?

As one who comes from a non aviation family, I think mentoring/sponsorship is important!

Guest davidh10
Can you donate if you're not an RAA member?As one who comes from a non aviation family, I think mentoring/sponsorship is important!

I don't think that would present a difficulty. Just phone the Office and ask. I'm sure they could take a credit card over the phone or alternately, send them a cheque with a note saying that it is for GYFTS.

On both occasions, I've donated, I've received a thank-you letter personally signed by the CEO (not just a stamp or signature image).