what's happening at Dalby

freddy

Hello out there,

Have been trying to find out what is happening at Dalby and can't seem to find anything at all.

If there is anyone who knows, please share with us if possible.

TA

Freddy

Dalby Wings and Wheels

When:Oct 28-29, 2007 Start Time:000 Event:Dalby Wings and Wheels Cost:Gold coin donat Airfield:Dalby YDAY Location:Dalby Host: Contact:Peter or Chris Phone (BH): Website: Phone (AH): Email:Send email Mobile:0416 198-973 Fax: Submitted:Aug 02, 2006 Last Updated:Sep 07, 2006 (modify) Description:

Open day at Dalby Aerodrome inviting pilots to fly in and enjoy the day. Arriving pilots are then in the running to win the "come and get it trophy". Likewise same is offered for those who choose to drive their "special car or motorbike". Lots of ground activities as well as trike flying and hang gliding, enjoy the BBQ and a coldie if you choose to stay over.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Freddy,

spoke to them about four months ago and they are proceeding with plans to recommence manuacturing the strut braced certified Drifter, about three or four have been built to date....there were "some paperwork issues to be finalised" .....apart from some delightful pics in the RAAus calender, things are a little quiet in Dalby.

JL

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, the legend lives..... it is nice to see the trusty struts are back. has anyone had the opportunity to compare the strut braced with say Mr Wayne Fisher's Aircraft?

The Fisher looks like it's a good aircraft, and I like the $22,000 engine inclusive part. Helps limited budget folk like me get into the air easier.

Anyhow, lets hope the SB drifter makes a comeback!!!!

Hi all, just wnadering what are the diffrences between the cable brace and the strut, I'm looking at buying a cable braced drifter and was just curious on the strut braced version as the drifter company in the states (Lockwood) are staying with the cable brace model. Thanks.

Guest High Plains Drifter

Callide,

Jim Fenton (Austflight) told me it was to do with the 55 certification. The earlier Drifters were 25 certification.

HPD

Thanks HP, I thought maybe the strut braced were maybe stronger but couldn't understand why the yanks are stickin with cable brace, any way cheers.

Guys,

I know it's a bit off topic (Dalby), but I was shown this link the other day. Looks like there's nothing wrong with the cable braced versions.

Happy viewing.

Mike

been talking to a few guys abt wire vs struts, from my perspective i'm getting the idea that most lean towards wire

one mentioned the number and position of bracing points, comparing all the wire points to the strut points, the idea was that the wire braced version would give better support in hard landings and rough air

makes sense to me, pity the strut braced version looks so much neater

bp

• Haha 1

So what do you get for your money?

I've always thought that wire braced was inferior to strut braced both from a strength point of view (I assume the wing is beefed up to account for the strut attachment points) and from the drag point of view; not to mention the better look of the SB Drifters. I did all my initial training on a SB Drifter in Narrogin but have not flown one since. I must add here that I am a very inexperienced student of aeronautics so would like other's opinions of why you think wire braced is better.

Cheers,

Pud

I was talking to a cable braced pilot yesterday and he said he did his training in a SB and when he flew his cable before buying it he suggested the cable was better for 2 reasons, the strut wieght is about 45-50kg in weight heavier and wire bracing giving you that little flexibility you need, he said if it was rigid as in strut braced where does that flexing go, I said I guess it would put more stress on the strut itself.

The first Struters built by Austflight did not have the braceing wires that ran from the back of the wing to the tail boom near the elevator (the same as the wire braced Drifters)

When I flew one of the 'no wire' Struter Drifters in turbulence, the flex of the wing relative to the airframe gave the impression of the wing tip moving fore and aft well over a foot. I took the aircraft back and had the factory install the wing to tail boom wire.

The factory continued to sell the 'no wire' Struters until there was a fatigue failure of the bracket that attachs the rear wing to fusulage down tube. All Struters then came out with the added wire.

HPD

One advantage with the strut braced Drifters is a lower overall height. We have 3 wire braced models at Rodds Bay and the problems of aligning 2 of them with the raised centre section in the doorway keeps us on our toes.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Callide,

If you are not overly concerned by looks, then the wire braced aircraft certianly won't disappoint.

I've spoken to a number of instructors who perfer the wire braced aircraft for training....generally easier to land due to extra drag. A couple have also complained of problems in the tail area of the strut braced model due to the extra weight....talk to a few of the current instructors to get an overall point of view.

Wayne Fisher swears by the extra strength of the wire braced Drifter and his Fisher MK1. as is evidenced by his aerobatics, (note:VH registered and purpose built) although having said that, he has developed a strut braced model and sold a kit or two....I believe the performance is a few knots better. Why not check with Wayne?

Best wishes

JL

PS. Have just viewed the youtube video, THANKS t83...had a flight with Wayne a while back, and he certianly loves the minimalism of his 503 powered aerobatic aircraft.

Hi Juliette,

Thank you for your information and I did talk to Wayne Fisher and found himself to be very helpful and very knowledgeable about the drifter.

Just had a look at the Dalby Drifter web site and see it has been updated.

A good overveiw of the Drifter history now provided. Unforetunatly I dont see any price list.

HPD

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back to forums after long delay. Busy, Busy.

The wire braced is a fantastic aircraft to fly. It is much lighter than the SB and has a smaller nose pod. The enlargement of the nose pod, the addition of the 582 and associated bits and pieces (electric start etc.) has changed the characteristics of the Drifter. The extra weight adversly affected their flying characteristics and the big pod, whilst keeping a bit of wind off the driver changed the aerodynamics so that the large nose pod Drifters can have difficulty coming out of inadvertant spinning.

The lighter weight of the 503 wire braced makes it an even more delightful flying experience and you get a more responsive aircraft. The only negative is the 503 will struggle with 2 big people on board. If you regularly fly with 2 big people then the 582's power will negate the other characteristics.

This is of course mostly opinion about "feel", but with nearly 20 years of drifter flying it is not an uncommon opinion among the older set.

Many years ago I flew a Maxair? Drifter out of MKT airstrip (borrowed), it did not have a nose pod from new. I remember thinking when I first saw an Austflight Drifter that the wing wires were of a heavier gauge then the Maxair version. Does anybody recall if this was the case ?

Re the feel of the Struter to the wired Drifter - I've had both, and tend to agree that the wired Drifter feels more chuckable, though the Struter is faster by a few knots.

I have never done aerobatics as such in a Drifter, so can not comment on the spin recovery characteristics from experience. I did hear of an instructer at Austflight who said simular to Freddy (but in a French accent) He did say it was recoverable - just took longer.

HPD

yes HPD you speak truth. All things you say are correct to my knowledge. I was an instructor at Austflight when the said French accent scared himself test flying the new 582 with the large nose pod.

If anyone has any doubt as to what effects the larger nose pod has on airflow over the tail, just stick your hand on top of the windshield during flight. There will be a marked increase in tail flutter.

Safe flying all

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Freddy,

Similar experience with both my small pod Fisher MK1 (drifter) AND large pod certified Drifter when I added a little screen extension.... having said that, my latest Fisher Mk1 912 Drifter has a full canopy from pod to post behind the pilot and there is no evidence of flutter or tail vibration....being tall, (me) Wayne Fisher set the canopy rather high for me giving plenty of headroom. Admttedly the canopy is beautifully shaped and doubtless directs the airflow differently to a screen extension.

The beauty of this is open air flying (almost) combined with full body protection from the elements.

Cheers

JL