Old Bar Ferris Wheel Incident

Guest pookemon

Could have been an engine failure - but that would mean a nose down attitude. Should have been plenty high enough if it was 200m from the runway. While ferris wheels are high - they're not THAT high. Very odd. Might have been trying to land on an oval (Engine failure) and just didn't have enough height to clear the ferris wheel?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ell this incident has alleviated my concerns about ferris wheels and fun rides at f

Well this incident has alliviate the fears I that have harboured for years in respect of my kids and others ridding these contraptions at shows they are obviously built strong, strong enough to survive and stay in tact after being struck by a missile. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

• Like 2

Oops, I'm glad no one was injured. Quite comical ...............

An extremely thin line between something like this being comical vs being as tragic as the recent accident at Reno. This is the sort of accident where we can take away a lot of learning.

An extremely thin line between something like this being comical vs being as tragic as the recent accident at Reno. This is the sort of accident where we can take away a lot of learning.

Quite true. One possibility, down on power hoping to clear the Ferris wheel then at the last second could not and too slow to make the required turn to avoid it. Something a bit like that happened to me once.

Just watched the footage on 7 news. I reckon I saw a cross on the strip in a wide shot they showed. Was the strip closed due to the position of the fair & ferris wheel?

One angle on 7 News provided a partial answer as to why they claim not to have seen the wheel, it was difficult to see against the trees behind it, but even if it hadn't been there they would have been uncomfortably close to the trees:yikes:. Definitely has a humorous aspect given that no-one was injured, but how lucky can you get??

Guest KingAir
Just watched the footage on 7 news. I reckon I saw a cross on the strip in a wide shot they showed. Was the strip closed due to the position of the fair & ferris wheel?

I agree Mick - when I seen the shots on 7 news I thought I saw a large White cross adjacent to the airstrip.. got me thinking..

Brings back memories from many moons ago, when I took the misses and two kids to Australia's Wonderland and was not keen too go on the Bush-Beast roller coaster ride.

The following morning I had a flying lesson out of Bankstown and did my first stalls , plus, was shown what happens if you slow a Warrier, and in stages increase to full-flap, then see what happens if you throw the flap lever to the floor, rather than let it off one stage at at a time.

Mark if your still teaching prospective airline pilots and wearing that long scarf, Accubra hat and silly RAF type moustache , I still think your parents were un-married.052_no_way.gif.ab8ffebe253e71283aa356aade003836.gif

But I have since washed my undies.

Pretty hard to miss seeing a ferris wheel, I would imagine it would be visable down the runway prior to take-off...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

But Maj he didn't miss it did he in fact it would have filled his whole windscreen at one point:faint:!

Watched the video quite amazing actually. Those guys and the 2 kids were extremely lucky and I can't believe how calm cool and collected the pilot was.

Anyway a happy ending for the kids, the pilot and passenger which is what really counts.

Guys, I have two points to make on this occurrence, apart from expressing my relief that no-one was injured:

1/. With reference to the pilot drifting off the runway centre line, I would suggest he carried out the correct procedure of applying power, then moving off to the right of the strip, so as to keep the whole runway in sight during the climb out. This would have placed the ferris wheel in his flight path. This is the procedure I was taught and I would not have done it any differently.

2/. The fact that both wings sheared off at the roots proves the strength off the steel "carry through box" frame which kept the cockpit area intact and no doubt protected the occupants ... and excellent design feature!

Guest Maj Millard

You were taught to move to the right of the strip to keep the runway in sight ????....Huh..........I like most students was taught to track the center line !..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Until we know the actual details this can only be described as a very unfortunate if spectacular accident. I know Paul and he is a very conscientious and safety orientated pilot. He is a family man and was very upset at the fact that there were children involved. I don't think that speculation as to what he should have done or what he did wrong is helpful. I am sure it will take him some time to get though this trauma and sincerely hope that this does not dampen his love of flying.

• Like 2

Yes, fly off to the right to keep the whole runway in view to the left ... particularly (but not necessarily) if the go-round was due to traffic on the runway which could climb up under you. I learnt under the GA system back in the early 70's.

I totally agree, and just checked Old Bar NOTAMS and guess what? There are none! So it's either the local councils fault for not notifying CASA or CASA's fault for not informing pilots "but" without stating the obvious not many pilots read them!

Having said that, my guess is he attempted a downwind landing (due to obstacle) and passenger said on TV last night "we were going around after an attempted landing and it wouldn't climb" ---- guys, it's a typical downwind landing mistake and probably created due to that stupid wheel being placed at the end of an ALA. Pilot error? Most probably because end of the day the PIC is totally responsible for making sure a/c and conditions are safe to operate. Unfortunately i hope he doesn't get a letter in the mail from a lawyer!

Sad but blo-dy glad "no one was hurt"

FP

Plane hits Ferris Wheel at end of runway. Does anyone else think that when working out the layout of the Fair you would think to yourself, ferris wheel end of runway bad idea.Anyway hope all are ok...... If you have not seen the pics or news the plane is stuck just near the top of ride as well as people stuck on the ride.

Jim