No longer an earthbound misfit (Pilots certificate = tick)

Well,

I have watched others have the joy of posting the news that they gained their pilots certificate and today its my turn.

To Quote J.G Magee

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings; Sunward, I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth, Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things, You have not dreamed of -wheeled and soared and swung, High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there, I've chased the shouting wind along and flung, My eager craft through footless halls of air. Up, up the long delirious burning blue I've topped the wind swept heights with easy grace, Where never lark, nor eagle, flew; And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untresspassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand and touched the face of God."

Sorry for the length of the post, but young Magee's words sum up some of the joy I feel.

I appreciate the challenge of what I have achieved so far and cherish the amount of learning yet to come. A big thanks to Michael Apps (Snowy Aviation Academy) down at Cooma for his instruction and helping me learn.

Today is a good day! 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Phil

• Like 5

I have always loved that Magee poem & remember vividly the words after the first time I hooked a thermal in my Hang Glider way back in 1976.

Congratulations on achieving your PC. Today is the first day of the rest of your life learning to fly better than every previous day leading up to your PC

• Like 1

Peter,

Right you are, PAX endorsement next (just under four hours solo to go and the assessment) and then pursue the X-Country. Although, it should be interesting once the PAX endorsement is gained as my wife even said she would consider being Pax #1. She'll just have to fight off my daughter for the privelege (and thats one discussion I don't wish to be a part of! augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif).

• Like 2

She'll just have to fight off my daughter for the privelege (and thats one discussion I don't wish to be a part of! augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif).

Better start working out how you are going to handle that one ... as PIC you'll ultimately be responsible for which passenger flies! (Glad it's you and not me! 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif)

Peter

Guest davidh10

Great achievement, Phil. Congratulations.

I have never seen that poem before, as I'm not much for poetry, but that just does say it all doesn't it. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

If that is really the way you feel about it. That day will be the first of many that convey that feeling.

Good luck with sorting out the first PAX. Just a tip... make sure it is a calm day with no bumps and keep the flight to about 3/4 of an hour max. On the fourth occasion I took my wife up, it was quite bumpy and she was airsick within about 15 minutes. She hasn't got back in the aircraft since (about a year). I've now taken quite a few PAX for their first flight and some find that a flight over an hour is a bit much, even to having to regain their "land legs" after alighting. It's better to land with them enjoying the flight and wanting more, than feeling they have had enough. On the other hand, one was an ex rigger and he loved it, even through some moderate thermal turbulence, didn't phase him. He'll be going again when the weather warms up a bit.

I went for a flight around some clouds on Sunday afternoon and they were just spectacular with the sun on and through them. The fingers get a bit cold at -4 degrees though in an open cockpit and I encountered a couple of minutes of very light hail, which danced around in the cockpit like bean bag filling*.

Flying around clouds is something I particularly enjoy when the nature of the clouds are safe and at least the required separation can be maintained. The poem brought that feeling back. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

* Hail or heavy rain isn't a good thing, as it can abrade the prop.

Guest pookemon

Well done Phil! I'm green with Envy. A little while to go for me, and I can't wait.

I've been told there's two flights you'll always remember, your first Solo and your first Pax.

Well done and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...