Skyfox - Gazelle aircraft

XP503

FWIW, whether a aircraft is X or Y make of model.If they are built out of steel tubing.Corrosion inspections have to be carried (well on all aircraft) The trouble is, a visual inspection does not always mean that the fuselage is free of corrosion or the extent, can look great from the outside.Doesnt mean that it is not corroding from the inside. Good places to look. are at the rear of the fuselage where water can pool.TW im talking about. With a aircraft made of Aluminum you will see the tell tale signs of corrosion. Paint blistering, bubbling, oxidiation etc.

Not that easy with steel tubing.Paint can look great, its what is happening inside is that counts.

Also- I dont want to get into a slanging match between Skyfoxes and Lightwings. This post is not about that.But I will say something.I read a report on a lightwing which, a gent had just bought, They airframe was corroded to the extend, that the a/c was grounded immediately. Like I said, this has nothing to do with the manufactures.Its to do with the enviroment the a/c are living in.

Eg- A Cessna/Piper etc could be 40 years old, lived in a dry enviroment.And have next to nil corrosion .The same plane could live on the coast and substanial corrosionwithin two or three years. Maybe less.

You're right about the inside of the tube. You can introduce fish oil or linseed and connect all the inside sections. I like the idea of introducing nitrogen gas and having it under pressure. If the pressure can not be maintained then there must be a crack or corrosion. It won't corrode with an inert gas in there. Nev.

You're right about the inside of the tube. You can introduce fish oil or linseed and connect all the inside sections. I like the idea of introducing nitrogen gas and having it under pressure. If the pressure can not be maintained then there must be a crack or corrosion. It won't corrode with an inert gas in there. Nev.

HI Nev, you probably already know this.The Savage Cub as a option has a pressurized engine mount. Duck your head under cowl and read the gauge.Great Idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting thing...was talking to Steve Bell the other day and he is working with CASA and others to get a new Certificate for the Gazelle/Skyfox, much the same as what Wayne does with the Drifter, so a Gazelle/Skyfox goes in to the workshop, the plate is removed, and it comes out as a X Gazelle or X Skyfox. A new Certificate that will allow for the A engine to be replaced with an UL engine, Bolly prop, new spa life etc etc etc...a completely new certified aircraft.Great on Steve Bell for initiating this and great for all the Gazelle/Skyfox owners out there...they really are a great aircraft

Hello Ian

Where can I get more information on this Certifcate

Thanks

John

• 9 months later...
That's the danger of splitting threads Iggy, so you need to explain the background. This thread suddenly appeared with someone rubbishing Gazelles.Two near identical threads were merged and then moderated to remove abusive posts - Mod.

hi all dont mean to be negative but at least my gazelle has a full steel airframe not one steel pole running between your legs,thats not much of a safety feature and my main reason for getting out of trikes/drifters !!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Gazelle mate, as I said, I was in love with them to the point of wanting to start a support group etc but I suppose I saw the light and have a new love, the Drifter - so happy you are pleased with your Gazelle please fly safe and keep it maintained

Happy Aviating

:-))))))

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Gazelle mate, as I said, I was in love with them to the point of wanting to start a support group etc but I suppose I saw the light and have a new love, the Drifter - so happy you are pleased with your Gazelle please fly safe and keep it maintainedHappy Aviating

:-))))))

nothing wrong with drifters mate,i just havent had the chance to fly one,but after a few really bad experiences with trikes this yr i had to make a change,and being enclosed is a confidence builder,

we are both in the price bracket of what else do you buy??

cheers graham

enjoy your flying