So........(sounds of crickets)...... pretty quiet around here lately

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

Anyone else noticed that the amount of posts seems to have dropped a fair bit lately? I pressume with nice spring weather folk are doing more flying than talking about flying.......

Andy

Fortunately I've had the opportunity to fly most weekends (when it's not raining!) lately, so that has been great! Keeping busy at the gliding field these days...

When I get the chance I might write up a story or two about some of it.

Work seems to have gone ballistic the last month, got stuff coming out our ears. Which is great, but days off aren't so easily come by! Going to Brisy tomorrow, so no flying this weekend - it's overcast and a few storms on the horizon anyway.

Haha dazza. Not quite, my grandpa Keith mason founded the club in the 70's and was president for 25 years so I spent a lot of my childhood there, probably where I got the flying bug, these days I'm just a member but get down there whenever I can.

• Like 2

Fly to Boonah and pick me up Tomo we will have a refreshment at Mason Field on the GC. Lovely place to visit.

TOMO... If David's offer is serious you would have to be barking bloody MAD not to take him up on it. Mason is the Creme-de-la-Creme of flying fields!!!!

Anyone else noticed that the amount of posts seems to have dropped a fair bit lately? I pressume with nice spring weather folk are doing more flying than talking about flying.......Andy

It's a while since I posted anything on here, and it's a while since I've done anything worth mentioning, until Thursday just gone.

I had arranged to do a few circuits with our local CFI at Balantree aviation, which is in the Wowan area just on 60nm north of here, as I felt some of my landings were not up to what they should be, I hear things like "that's normal in those old tail draggers", and I:chuffed:010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif think 'yeah right, but not four landings off the one approach'.

Anyway, blasted off from home about 0550, over to the mates place 4nm to the east, picked him up and on our way, David is his name, and he flies a trike and is starting on three axis, so he's coming up to get some time in too. Pushed a fairly stiff headwind all the way, 70min. later we were on the ground with Myles on his way down from the house, first on the list was the standard cup of coffee, then time to get serious. Myles took Dave up first while the air was reasonable (blowing about 12 / 15kt but expected to worsen later) I sat in his hanger and read the rest of my mag. (sport pilot). They returned after an hour or so then it was debrief followed up with smoko. Sitting at his kitchen table looking out the window at the trees rocking and rolling I was thinking 'maybe I could come back at the weekend and do this' anyway we soldiered on.... back at the hanger, Myles suggested we start on my low level endorsement along with advanced flying techniques. Enjoyed the low level although you really got to be on the ball when you are only a couple of feet off the ground things happen pretty fast. But that's nothing compared to flying from the right seat for the first time. Sure we've all flown from the right seat at some time, but it's usually in someone else's plane and it's no problem because you're up there flying straight or just cruising around, but try flying a circuit and landing....bloody hell that's different....absolutely no problem getting four or maybe even five landings off the one approach then, I didn't count them, I was too busy sweating and trying not to fill my jocks, and doing it in a reasonable cross wind too. In the left seat it's no problem, you just go in and land with one wing low and keeping things straight with your feet, so before we took off I thought 'no big deal, just left hand on the stick instead of the right, boy was I wrong thinking that'. I know probably lots of you out there fly a Lightwing then jump into a Gazelle and it's no different for you, but it sure got my adrenaline pumping. Looked in the logbook and I'm just turning over 500hrs. and it's all been with left throttle and right stick. But now I've had a day to settle my old nerves and I can't wait to get back up there and do it again.010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Cheers Davo.

• Like 1

[ATTACH]15438[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15438[/ATTACH]

Haha dazza. Not quite, my grandpa Keith mason founded the club in the 70's and was president for 25 years so I spent a lot of my childhood there, probably where I got the flying bug, these days I'm just a member but get down there whenever I can.

Hi David ,

Here is a pic. of " the navigator" and I on approach into Southport on our way back home last month .

Bob

1351552963_GoldCoastAug2011126.thumb.jpg.fd97efaa17bc67d8ccfd82c07b60db5e.jpg

Here is a pic. of " the navigator" and I on approach into Southport on our way back home last month .

Biggles - what are the reflections in the window? It's a bit late in the year for Easter eggs, isn't it? poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

Fly to Boonah and pick me up Tomo we will have a refreshment at Mason Field on the GC. Lovely place to visit.

Cheers David, will most certainly take you up on that, will let you know when something works out. Might see if my mate over here wants to come for a trip to, and I'll bring the 206 over. Tex has a Drifter at Boonah that he's offered to me too, so that's cool!

Of course the offer is serious Tomo, I wanna see if you fly as good as you say you do ;-)

Almost sounds like a challenge... 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif though I can't recall saying anything about me flying good... I reckon the day I 'think' I'm flying well is the day I should stop flying. I'm only a baby pilot and learning every minute!! 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Haha just ribbing you Tomo, yea a 206 would be fun, you've got my number, so hit me up anytime, avgas avail there of course. Yes I've flown tex's drifter quite a lot. it is a fairly nice machine, not a huge fan of the engine in it, could do with some tlc. Cheers mate.

not a huge fan of the engine in it, could do with some tlc. Cheers mate.

Indeed! The whole thing is getting some TLC... work and other commitments just keep on getting in the road. Bit by bit... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Gday Tex! Yes I know what that's like, but tinkering is half the fun of owning a drifter. Speaking of which, I will be drifting around Boonah tmrw in the a.m say G'day if you're around.

Biggles - what are the reflections in the window? It's a bit late in the year for Easter eggs, isn't it? poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

Hi Gnome ,

The" navigator", as detailed in her 'duty statement', is required to maintain a continuous supply of sugar free lollies at all times, particularly when coming into strips such as YSPT with 'fly neighbourly','displaced threshold','tree obstructions', 'preferred approach' ,'radio towers near turn onto final' etc.etc. . She chooses to place them on the Inst. console and this has worked very well over a number of years , however clearly this practice must cease ,as it appears that we are being held up to ridicule . I should also say that , in addition to not disagreeing with any decisions I make, it is one of her more important duties , and to change this long standing practice may take some time. kiss.gif.b85e4cbf93c012b498aab8fe7d5a5fe6.gif

Bob

Indeed! The whole thing is getting some TLC... work and other commitments just keep on getting in the road. Bit by bit... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

There should be a law about work getting in the way of flying stuff I reckon! augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

• Like 2

Anyone else noticed that the amount of posts seems to have dropped a fair bit lately? I pressume with nice spring weather folk are doing more flying than talking about flying.......Andy

That's because political discussions are no longer allowed

(I'm only joking, of course ....it's the better flying weather!!)

Damn arthritis.

Alan.

I hope you make a quick recovery Guernsey! :-thumbsup 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

That's because political discussions are no longer allowed(I'm only joking, of course ....it's the better flying weather!!)

I hope you make a quick recovery Guernsey! :-thumbsup 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks for that Andy, my Son-in Law Kevin loves flying with me as passenger now because with my lower arm in plaster, every time he looks at me I have my thumb sticking up,

so he thinks that all of his landings must be perfect. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

Thumbellina Alan.