A Savannah for Southern NSW

bobcharl

Once you have tried a Mac you will never go back....and its true too....I hate win doze now although I use fusion on my Macpro because the only win doze software I have to use is my business accounting software so it sits on 1 monitor and my mac is on the other monitor....I used windoze exclusively for 15 years but the Mac is just so much better to use. I do use win doze for my cad software as well but thats on a iMac in bootcamp

Mark

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on what you use them for .....but for my applications for work and home they are great....I do all web browsing and email,video,photo peer to peer act on the mac...work stuff like programming radios and cad and my accounting are done n the windows side...but its all on the one computer...at the same time using virtual machine software. There are more and more companies developing their software for mac...even microsoft have seen the light they make office for Mac so all that side is all compatible now anyway

Tell me, why is Windows so popular? 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

One word, MARKETING. Their marketing was about 9 times as effective as apple's. Apple pitched very successfully at the education sector, I guess hoping that the education sector would brainwash us into using rotten apples in our industries. Microsoft pitched very successfully at industry and eventually education had to recognise that they educate people to be what the enduser employer wanted them to be, and Apple lost the race!

Once Apple got access to Intel processors the hardware war changed...Apple hardware to software compatabilty is so much better...basically they never crash or get the old blue screen of death or lockup midway designing something and you lose everything you had done etc....

Anyway this is off topic...BOB have you decided on how you are going to do the tips on the flaperons ?....

Bob

I am thinking of doing the tips for my flaperons the same as I did the tip attachments for the stab,elev,fin and rudder by slipping a 25mm strip of .5mm alu in between the outer skin and the end ribs like below pics

IMG_0732_3.thumb.jpg.febf6f96b99f97f17431116e6caa0565.jpg

1556256989_Picture044_3.thumb.jpg.933db349194cd8fe8aa30e88178873a4.jpg

735480313_Picture043_3.thumb.jpg.7003ed820be4cd987dfb3dd43163c49e.jpg

IMG_0740_3.thumb.jpg.97a22976e821612d140d84402bc262dd.jpg

I built those maroon flaperons and eight others (for two other planes) over an eight day period, and the over riding priority was to build them well but not introduce any more weight than necessary. What ever way you choose to mount the end cap you will always have the trailing edge of the cap about five times as thick as the two 16 thou aluminium sheets solid riveted at the trailing edge. If you do them the same as the maroon ones, get a thin disc in your angle grinder and cut away 15 - 20mm of the portion of the cap's trailing edge which will be within the aluminium of the flaperon, which prevents the aluminium being distorted where the trailing edges come together. Also, DO NOT seal the opening, they must be able to drain water so it doesn't freeze at altitude.

ADDED Look at Mark's post, he has a photo of an end cap prepared this way.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the ideas re flaperon tips. Will take both ideas to the workshop with me after Xmas.I'll keep you updated.

I think I have the resizing of photos sorted.(I'm a slow learner). Watch for the next post.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Bob

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Guys, Thanks for the ideas re flaperon tips. Will take both ideas to the workshop with me after Xmas.I'll keep you updated.I think I have the resizing of photos sorted.(I'm a slow learner). Watch for the next post.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Bob

Hi Bobcharl,

I belatedly stumbled across this thread and I will now be following your progress with interest. I hope you will have a happy 2012 ...happiness in Savannah building would be a start of course!

It looks as if your thread has been looked at around 900 times already 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Christmas and its associated socializing has not been conducive to Savannah building but Iwouldn't miss it for quids. Assembled the fuselage ribs and that was easy.A word of caution though: the rudder cables which must be installed at this stage are left and right specific. Mine were not tagged and I assumed them to be identical. Not the case. The parts manual does give them separate numbers, but I didn't pick up on that until later.According to the manual the two slender ribs should be riveted to the skins and the corner braces added after assembly. I couldn't see how that could be done without the services of a pygmy, which I didn't have, so I riveted them together and installed them the same as the other ribs and the skins went over them fine. Clecoing the corner longerons required quite a deal of levering with the probe to bring all the holes into alignment. Some at the front did require a hone with a drill where several layers were involved. I was advised to install the extended baggage compartment before skinning and I think it proved to be good advice.Thanks to some earlier advice on resizing photos there should be some photos with this post. The one of the stabilizer skeleton shows the gap in the front where I later added a support that I mentioned in an earlier post. The rest are self explanetory.

Bob

480506807_Sav.Const.017(Medium).jpg.4df7aafb1aeb28ef2e742ac4d4091fcb.jpg

652665666_Sav.Const.021(Large).thumb.jpg.e2269d3703b10207af7e3755a98cfd71.jpg

1627802297_Sav.Const.016(Medium).jpg.41c4c184475c465c39acc58a56676196.jpg

852859891_Sav.Const.020(Medium).jpg.c6921d3d64642e9959312e48e68014dd.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a brief update. The cabin floor and forward fuselage are now assembled. Mostly went quite well: only doubt I have is that the cross member at the front of the seat is under some tension due to the fuselage sides having to be pulled in quite strongly. Some upholstery is in but many pieces have to be cut to fit. The flaperon control lever which is a bit topical at the moment fitted well and I just HAD to sit in the seat to try it out. (I haven't flown a Savannah from the LH seat).In view of some reports of the lever slipping out of the notches I cut the notches a little deeper and it now looks as though it could never slip out. I am wondering whether to stretch the spring slightly also. Haven't made a huge amount of progress lately due to lots of non-aviation happenings, but I have tomorrow off work and it looks as though it will be raining so I should be able to get into the shed and work without any distractions.

Cheers,

Bob

61058469_IMGP3230(Medium).JPG.07f7a98a2e3c7a6b6e7b5e9f104ba4fd.JPG

1513599854_IMGP3232(Medium).JPG.61b3f2e7f41c9e927b6c8dfb2142ab72.JPG

Just a brief update. The cabin floor and forward fuselage are now assembled. Mostly went quite well: only doubt I have is that the cross member at the front of the seat is under some tension due to the fuselage sides having to be pulled in quite strongly. Some upholstery is in but many pieces have to be cut to fit. The flaperon control lever which is a bit topical at the moment fitted well and I just HAD to sit in the seat to try it out. (I haven't flown a Savannah from the LH seat).In view of some reports of the lever slipping out of the notches I cut the notches a little deeper and it now looks as though it could never slip out. I am wondering whether to stretch the spring slightly also. Haven't made a huge amount of progress lately due to lots of non-aviation happenings, but I have tomorrow off work and it looks as though it will be raining so I should be able to get into the shed and work without any distractions.Cheers,

Bob

[ATTACH]16662[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16663[/ATTACH]

Well I must say you look very much at home sitting there Bob:smile:

Pud

Just a brief update. The cabin floor and forward fuselage are now assembled. Mostly went quite well: only doubt I have is that the cross member at the front of the seat is under some tension due to the fuselage sides having to be pulled in quite strongly. Some upholstery is in but many pieces have to be cut to fit. The flaperon control lever which is a bit topical at the moment fitted well and I just HAD to sit in the seat to try it out. (I haven't flown a Savannah from the LH seat).In view of some reports of the lever slipping out of the notches I cut the notches a little deeper and it now looks as though it could never slip out. I am wondering whether to stretch the spring slightly also. Haven't made a huge amount of progress lately due to lots of non-aviation happenings, but I have tomorrow off work and it looks as though it will be raining so I should be able to get into the shed and work without any distractions.Cheers,

Bob

[ATTACH]16662[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16663[/ATTACH]

It appears to be climbing at about 1,100 ft/min at that angle: just add wings 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

• 1 month later...

As you may have guessed not a lot of progress lately. Have installed rudder pedals, firewall, instrument panel frame and have had a trial fit of the cabin frame, but its now out for painting.After a bit of fiddling the cab frame seemed to square nicely, to the mm (as near as I could measure it) in fact. Got the firewall painted the external colour (white) and the exposed inner cabin pieces painted grey. Painting is a worry as I have no experience in that field, and have been unable to find anyone to do the job without wanting a share in the aircraft (well almost). I have access to good advice so with some practice maybe I can produce a reasonable finish. One of the extras I am installing is a parking brake lock. After some time spent researching and finally getting what I wanted, wouldn't you know it, ICP now have one on their website.Thats life.

Some photos soon.

Bob

I noticed that addition on their website as well. I wonder why this has not been standard (or, at least an option) well before 2012? After all, Savannahs are bush machines and may need to park on slopes at times which is pretty difficult without some parking brake arrangement.

• 1 month later...

G'day All,

No, I haven't fallen off the planet, just haven't had time to indulge in matters aeronautical lately. The reason? My son has a grain growing property in Southern NSW and this time of year sowing is in full swing so for the last few weeks he has had my arse anchored to a tractor seat. Did snatch a few minutes ( and that is all it took) to unpack my Aero Trainer tyres and fit one to a rim. Like the look of these tyres, should be good on my planned farm airstrip. Should be back Sav building soon. Now to see if I can upload a pic of the tyres.

Bob

235732844_IMGP3267(Medium).JPG.0a8409c3c4a9b6152b9062083d2d43dc.JPG

Hey, it worked!

It's pretty clear that you'll get quite a bit of extra ground clearance with those tyres ...on the standard rims no doubt.

How much extra weight is there per tyre, compared to the standard one?

Hi 80K,

Yes, still using standard rims and these tyres slip on easily.

Weight? An extra 800gms per tyre over the standards. Thats 3.5L of petrol that I can't carry, or perhaps 2.5 kg of fat that I will have to lose.

Whilst on tyres , the originals are still in the box and are for sale if anyone is interested. I won't be driving too hard a deal.

Bob

Hi 80K,Yes, still using standard rims and these tyres slip on easily.

Weight? An extra 800gms per tyre over the standards.

Just looking at the picture, it seems you've gained at least 100mm in ground clearance, possibly more. That would make life a little easier on the prop in grassy terrain, I suppose. Also, that extra rubber must make landing a bit more comfortable!

.Weight? An extra 800gms per tyre over the standards. Thats 3.5L of petrol that I can't carry, or perhaps 2.5 kg of fat that I will have to lose.

022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Have managed to get some time back at my project at last. Decided to put some airvents in the forward fuselage adjacent to the pedals.Took lots of time but should be good in the warmer weather as these vents do work well. To the Jab jockeys out there, if you think they look familiar then you are right.Have also assembled and installed the instrument panel but it is nothing at all unusual. Am now running wires, airlines and hydraulic tubes and this also is quite time consuming. Slowly slowly but ever forward.

Bob

[ATTACH]17974[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17975[/ATTACH][ATTACH]17976[/ATTACH]

• Caution 1