Drifter Fan!

country kid

Hey forum

long time no posts, any way... im really keen on getting a drifter, i love the look of them and they suit my location/facilities... im also a keen to do some work on it and spend some time in the shed... so with this in mind how much should i aim to save?... are there any drifters that have being shed ridden and need TLC around?

thanks guys

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing better than owning a drifter. hope to upgrade my 503 model for a slightly more modern 582 next year, looked at other aircraft but none seem to be quite as good and fun as the Drifter.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif012_thumb_up.gif.83e1b5422694a022eec36e1e8343f687.gif012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hey forumlong time no posts, any way... im really keen on getting a drifter, i love the look of them and they suit my location/facilities... im also a keen to do some work on it and spend some time in the shed... so with this in mind how much should i aim to save?... are there any drifters that have being shed ridden and need TLC around?

thanks guys

Having just picked one up, I located some from 10g - 25g... Strutties are the more expensive... for a WB one in OK condition that you can fly as you tinker and give it some love you would be looking at around 11-12g. Though lots for up around the 14 mark is seems. Be patient, get some contacts in the game and some decent planes which are real good value come up as well.

I bought an xp503 drifter in June this year, they really are amazing aircraft. Don't know of any "group" but definitely a lot of fans at Boonah (they were all built there) and gympie (4 online at the schoolI think)

I bought an xp503 drifter in June this year, they really are amazing aircraft. Don't know of any "group" but definitely a lot of fans at Boonah (they were all built there) and gympie (4 online at the schoolI think)

5 or 6 in Boonah (well 1 Fisher) 5 in Dalby, 2 in Tara... Clifton ?? SE (S) Qld is the Drifter Capital!

Hello Country Kid, where have you been hiding?

Drifters are a good choice ... they would have to be one of the lowest cost to own and operate rag and tube machines around. They are a delight to fly and get along at a half reasonable speed. They are available two stroke or four and you can even register them VH experimental and do aerobatics in them. What else could a fun loving guy want.

Try and get an early Maxiar wire braced 503/582, they are lighter and more fun to fly than the Austflight versions. There are still a few around.

You should get together and form a Drifter group. you can mutually help each other and share knowledge. That benefits every body concerned and is a very safety orientated pro-active move. They ARE a classic plane.. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Yes the 503 XPs are good machines, as are the Maxair 503s..I did a lot of hours with the old 503s (SC and DC) engines, but the latest 503s with twin plugs and DCI are just a delight to operate.

I do know of a 503 Maxair Drifter hiding in an Aero-club hangar, and as one partner has just bought a Storch, I'll make enquires to see if it's available.

..........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I will do my best to find out this week. It is an old one but has been fitted with new skins about two years ago. I have flown the aircraft a few times and it's just a lot of fun...........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

WOW... these things generate interest.

Hello Country Kid, where have you been hiding?

haha Year 12.... need i say no more, im studying 5 TEE subjects and trying to get into uni from an Ag school (dumbest move in my life so far)

to be honest i think id rather a SB model (despite cost), just through personal opinion and preference but with that said i dont think my pocket extends deep enough for discretion 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif BUT.... im going to work all summer and hope to "invest poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif" in one early next year... its a love it or hate it thing really but i think its the adventure in me there just such a great aircraft, im really passionate about them, i just want one!!

Be patient, get some contacts in the game

contacts? um where do i start Tex? i think this might be my sticking point...

The Strut Braced is a good aircraft, but a lot heavier than the Wire Braced models due the increased thickness main spar tubes (triple thickness from memory). The WB being much lighter are more agile and require less runway than the SB models.

contacts? um where do i start Tex? i think this might be my sticking point...

Here! but when you are close to purchasing (have the money) call Wayne Fisher at Spectrum Aviation, he usually knows what is available around the place that may not have been advertised, he told me a few weeks ago about "a wire braced 582 at coffs around $14000 and a 503 wire braced for around $13500". He also knew about a SB but that one sold 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

From the RAA magizine...There is/(was?) a Maxair 503 at Kilcoy for about 10G (needs new skins I think) and an Austflight 582 WB somewhere near Melbourne with no idea on price but I think engine has just been OH.

Hey forumlong time no posts, any way... im really keen on getting a drifter, i love the look of them and they suit my location/facilities... im also a keen to do some work on it and spend some time in the shed... so with this in mind how much should i aim to save?... are there any drifters that have being shed ridden and need TLC around?

thanks guys

Hi Country Kid you should be able to pick one up for around six to eight thousand but will need full rebuild .which are great aircraft for that you can buy all the bits for Wayne Fisher they are basic rag and tube machine great for beginners try for Maxi Air wb we have six that fly together down here l have rebuilt three now my mate has four in his shed that are in progress for rebuilds l will see if any are for sale.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Country Kid you should be able to pick one up for around six to eight thousand but will need full rebuild .which are great aircraft for that you can buy all the bits for Wayne Fisher they are basic rag and tube machine great for beginners try for Maxi Air wb we have six that fly together down here l have rebuilt three now my mate has four in his shed that are in progress for rebuilds l will see if any are for sale.cheers Geoff.

THIS IS WHAT I WANT!! spot on mate, some thing that needs rebuilding.. it might cost more but youknow the aircraft backwards and i find builind and fixing stuff just as fun as flying it.. and 6-8 grand is something i can do now, as apose tosaving another..... ammount.