Drifter Fan!

country kid

Just my advice mate. You will also be more inclined to finish said aircraft if you can fly it as soon as you finish it.

Other thing is, where are you going to hanger this plane?? Coz will be hard getting guys to come out your way to help. Best keeping it at Bindoon or similar strip close to help and other aircraft owners.

Had Skydart for a while. Havent finished it yet :( Need to get it flying.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yer, makes logical sense.... it will be a matter of time more than any thing, depending on what needs doing and if i have my license or not.

yer, chances are it will be hangered at home mate. it im scrapping together funds for a plane no hope of buying or paying rent on a hangar.

haha you might be in trouble once you finish it, will have 2 planes to choose from? 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bring back an ancient thread but I have a quick question about drifters that I am hoping somebody can answer and as there are already 5000 drifter topics I thought it would be better off re-igniting an old one.

Can anybody tell me if the original Maxair 503 vbelt drive, wb drifters can be upgraded to a 582 and registered in the original category or do they have to be registered as an experimental? I may be wrong but I think the Maxairs only came with the early 503’s and then 532 Rotax engines?

So the question is can you put a 582 on a Maxair wb 502 drifter without changing it to experimental category.

My second question is about Rotax 912 and jab 2200 engines.

I have seen both engines on the later strut braced drifters. Can they be fitted to the wire braced drifter? If so only the austflight cert drifters or the Maxair ones also?

I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Basically I’m thinking about buying a drifter, hoping to have it long term and am not worried about which engine it currently has but wondering if different types will affect which engines it can be replaced with down the line.

Thanks for any info

Sorry to bring back an ancient thread but I have a quick question about drifters that I am hoping somebody can answer and as there are already 5000 drifter topics I thought it would be better off re-igniting an old one.Can anybody tell me if the original Maxair 503 vbelt drive, wb drifters can be upgraded to a 582 and registered in the original category or do they have to be registered as an experimental? I may be wrong but I think the Maxairs only came with the early 503’s and then 532 Rotax engines?

So the question is can you put a 582 on a Maxair wb 502 drifter without changing it to experimental category.

My second question is about Rotax 912 and jab 2200 engines.

I have seen both engines on the later strut braced drifters. Can they be fitted to the wire braced drifter? If so only the austflight cert drifters or the Maxair ones also?

I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Basically I’m thinking about buying a drifter, hoping to have it long term and am not worried about which engine it currently has but wondering if different types will affect which engines it can be replaced with down the line.

Thanks for any info

I can answer one part for you 912 can be retro fitted to a wire braced Ausflight done it. Retro fitting the Strut braced seems to be a no go due to the take off weight. However unless you have alot of cash, time and love doing paper work I would forget itFILE4090.JPG.a4de2021b1d9d99c7c7836c7f2509c5f.JPG

So let me get this right........

You have a factory built aircraft (25 reg)?

You changed a motor for a higher powered one.

It is still registered as a factory built.

Did you go through the MARAP process for this modification?

So let me get this right........You have a factory built aircraft (25 reg)?You changed a motor for a higher powered one.

It is still registered as a factory built.

Did you go through the MARAP process for this modification?

The answer to the question is yes. We where one of the first to use the MARAP process, we have kept the 25 reg and its advantages it was a very long and expensive process, but once we started we had to see it through.