• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brought a tear to my eye ... driftering at The Oaks ... used to teach there on the drifter in the late 90's ... nice to see that the bare patch in the middle of the runway has not changed much ... must be like the thin hair on the head ... once gone never returning ;-)

Great fun

• Like 1

Driftering around' date=' first flight of 2015[/quote']DO you really think that kind of flying is in our best interest, yet alone being foolish enough to publicise it?!? It's as though you have never heard of the VFR or the "Thou shall not do aero's in your ultralight" as written in the CAO's. You might as well tow a banner overhead Canberra that says "Up yours CASA!".Not cool.

• Agree 1

Brought a tear to my eye ... driftering at The Oaks ... used to teach there on the drifter in the late 90's ... nice to see that the bare patch in the middle of the runway has not changed much ... must be like the thin hair on the head ... once gone never returning ;-)Great fun

Hi kasper, would that be Mark Georges 503 Drifter your are talking about? I learnt Drifter flying in that one in 1998/99 and was responsible for my Drifter addiction

The middle patch you are talking about is a tribute to the triple bouncer landings of most students over the years and so far grass has never been able to catch up with student pilot hammering

btw guys it was a nice clear day with 5k+ vis and below 3000ft clear of clouds with some gentle turns

happy flying for all 2015

• Agree 3

Clear of cloud? Hardly. Gentle turns? At over 90* bank angle? Good luck with that argument. Do yourself a favour and Google John Quadrio before you decide to film anymore "gentle turns".

• Agree 1

Yep it was Marks drifter. Loved training in it ... but at max weight and a thirsty 503 cross country to anywhere for the student was an exercise in fuel management ;-)

Hi kasper, would that be Mark Georges 503 Drifter your are talking about? I learnt Drifter flying in that one in 1998/99 and was responsible for my Drifter addictionThe middle patch you are talking about is a tribute to the triple bouncer landings of most students over the years and so far grass has never been able to catch up with student pilot hammering

btw guys it was a nice clear day with 5k+ vis and below 3000ft clear of clouds with some gentle turns

happy flying for all 2015

Oh come on!!

Let's give the guy a break. The story goes like this! I would like to inform you all my ultralight was taken from my hangar by an unknown individual as well as my flight helmet. When I found out there was a note left over the pilot seat, 20 dollars bill and a video card. The note goes like this" I am sorry but I could not resist the temptation to fly your beautiful bird. The video I took and you can make yours if you want and please posted as my posthumous gift to myself ". It looks this was the kind of jokes of a ghost of a Drifter's flyer.

Again, beautiful flight!!

• Caution 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Clear of cloud? Hardly. Gentle turns? At over 90* bank angle?

Was a little concerned at the quotes on here so watched the video from start to finish, looked like a great day for flying and a lot of fun.

In other countries 'lazy eight's' are part of the curriculum and are a good skill to have. Not sure a Drifter could sustain the G's required for a 90 degree bank turn.

As for the 'clear of cloud', was probably pushing it a little but not unsafe considering where the video was shot. My only recommendation would be not to hang about just above, or just below the cloud at an airport where IFR aircraft regularly visit!

It's a shame sometimes we forget what flying is actually about!

Was a little concerned at the quotes on here so watched the video from start to finish, looked like a great day for flying and a lot of fun. In other countries 'lazy eight's' are part of the curriculum and are a good skill to have. Not sure a Drifter could sustain the G's required for a 90 degree bank turn.

As for the 'clear of cloud', was probably pushing it a little but not unsafe considering where the video was shot. My only recommendation would be not to hang about just above, or just below the cloud at an airport where IFR aircraft regularly visit!

It's a shame sometimes we forget what flying is actually about!

I agree, if below 3000 ft and not in cloud he must be clear of cloud. He must also have a radio and be listening to it and the ground must be visible. I have no idea how high he was. Angle of bank may be a bit over but hey, there are no protractors up there. Would I post this on youtube? Definitley not. Looks like great fun.

We all know how capable, strong and safe a Drifter is, most of us from personal experience. Looked like a beautiful day and an enjoyable flight ... BUT ... Putting the vid on a public forum and on YouTube ........ NOT smart guys.

• Agree 4

I can understand the good will of every one commenting on the video. Safety should be the first priority in everything we do these days. Fun has to be the second one, otherwise recreational flying will become extinct before long. Constructive criticism like the comment from the moderator will go farther than vicious attacks. Myself being so far away, have found in this group and in the forums the help and the camaraderie of the people that love to fly the Drifter. For that I am grateful. I hope one day I could meet all the people involved and have the opportunity to learn more. Until them I will try to treat every one with the respect and consideration I have to my closest friends. As friends, if any one of you find any videos as beautiful as this, please share it. My e-mail, familianodal@ yahoo.com. Thank you.

• Like 5