Burying 20+ F111 at YAMB

av8vfr

As per todays news, while I know that the NATO treaty has the F111 listed as one of the potential nuclear capable threats, surely burying them without wings, etc is a bit over the top. Especially when interested historical groups are willing to fork out $$ for a (non airworthy) airframe. And they would all have recyclable components on board.. and lets face it...we never had them nuclear capable in Oz anyway.... So say good bye to a legend imo....

Funny how they are too dangerous for Joe Public today, but ok for servicemen to maintain for the last 30+ years...

I would expect some problems but nothing to desecrate such a great aircraft.

It is all politics and us buying stupid F18's and forgetting what is best.

We had a ample supply of airframes and 20 or more years in the F111, all for a lower cost.

Instead we bought slow limited F18's designed for carriers which we do not have.

We went from the badboy in the area that could strike anywhere to a local joke.

I was talking to a mate on mine a few months ago, he is still at Amberley working for Boeing.The contractor that had the contract to cut up the aircraft, tried to cut through the wing carry through Box.(It is made byD6AC Steel). With hydraulic jaws.Big ones attched to a excavator or something similar.Anyway, the jaws broke.The cost of removing all the dangerous material, per aircraft was not cost effective.Thats probably why they have buried them.

LS- they where simply costing way too much to operate.Parts where running out, etc. When we received the G models.The had alot more hours on them, but the airframes where in alot better condition .They where used as a stand off weapons system for Strategic Air Command.IE- high alttitude, carrying nuclear weapons.Our C models, where flown low at high speed. When I left working on them in 1998.A few airframes where G limited, due to airframe fatique .IMO they where a great aircraft, but way past their use by date.