iPhone self combusts on flight

Admin

Guest Maj Millard

Some of the new type batteries have the ability to get thermal runaway. This is also common on the large NI-cad aircraft batteries used mainly in large jets. The have a temp sensor on them to detect an internal increase in temperature during operation, which could lead to explosion or fire.

They also require specialized servicing proceedures and must have a separate servicing area to standard lead acid......Looks like daughter leaves the new Iphone on the ground when she flies with me from now on !!..........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Looks like daughter leaves the new Iphone on the ground when she flies with me from now on !!..........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Get her to put the OzRunways app on it Maj... she may not get the phone back off you though!

I wouldn't worry about flying with it, I had mine at 9500ft the other day for many hours and it was fine. If the phone is left in the sun they automatically turn off due to thermal over heat. If it starts to combust, put it in your water bottle... assuming there's water in there!radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif

You would have to say of the 100s of thousands of Lithium Ion batteries that are carried daily on aircraft worldwide in Notebook computers, mobile phones, cameras and kids toys, that this is a very rare incident and statistically a low risk probability. It is not as if it cannot be controlled in an individual circumstance with appropriate extinguishers or in GA aircraft, out the window, even though that would be technically a Federal Offense.

Guest davidh10

Seems unusual when not being charged, unless of course the battery was physically damaged.

It isn't the first time we've heard of batteries self combusting. There was a recall of laptop batteries a few years back due to a predisposition to self combust.

Seems unusual when not being charged, unless of course the battery was physically damaged.It isn't the first time we've heard of batteries self combusting. There was a recall of laptop batteries a few years back due to a predisposition to self combust.

Had a recall from Garmin on my Nuvi 760 GPS.It was replaced with a 765. The reason was because apparently the battery on some units where getting realy hot and catching on fire. I only found out about the recall because I was on their web site, looking at updating my map.

There is actually nothing to indicate the problem was a result of being on a plane or am I missing something here? It could well have happened while the owner was home on the dunny, would we then say "hey, don't take your phone into the dunny lest it burst into flames".