F111 Dump

jordy

The F111 is full of Toxic stuff. They tried to cut them up But the D6AC Steel defeated the jaws of the cutting machine.They have served there purpose.It was going to cost way too much money to dismantle them for recycling.Nice Burial I think.

Yep, and you never know, maybe in 50 years someone will dig them up and restore them...What, I can dream can't I?prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

Isn't there in the US a heap of F111's out in the desert somewhere dry (to limit corrosion) incase they ever needed to 're-use' them at some stage??

Yep, and you never know, maybe in 50 years someone will dig them up and restore them...What, I can dream can't I?prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

Some poor smuck in 50 years or so is going to dig these up while looking for the source of toxic crap leaching into the water table.

The RAAF will go 'oh yeah we forgot where we buried these'.

Only the G models were buried, as they were the oned bought from the US Military, and part of the contracts for sale stated they must be destroyed upon retirement. something to do with sale of arms act or something.. basically stating, you buy these from us, and you alone, no one else shall ever have them.. so when we are finished with them, they get destroyed.

Guest Andys@coffs

7 retained for display. I seem to recall from years ago that their was a fair bit of Copper berylium, which if it has something done to it to produce dust has the same effect as asbestos except that instead of taking decades to kill you can achieve the same outcome in a relatively short time. Have seen video's of machinist working the material in isolation suits........

Andy

Berylium copper is also used in some 4 stroke MX motors as valve seats. Very toxic substance. You're not even supposed to rub it with your hands. But then again you're not supposeed to do that with cadmium either. The beryl. is much worse. Nev

7 retained for display. I seem to recall from years ago that their was a fair bit of Copper berylium, which if it has something done to it to produce dust has the same effect as asbestos except that instead of taking decades to kill you can achieve the same outcome in a relatively short time. Have seen video's of machinist working the material in isolation suits........Andy

Thanks for the info Mate. I remember the Beryilum on them.We had to be cautious.I had to google this because I forgot where we used it.I have also changed content since what I said yesterday was not correct. I was posted to Pavetack in Jun 1995.As a Aircraft Tech.The only one I think.I was the first one anyway.The Pavetack Pod had Copper Berylium in it .As well as Depleted Uranium as Head Ballast.I remembered the DE.lol Also Thorium I think.All the good stuff.