Chopper crash north qld

rage83

Qld police have just advised via Facebook that chopper has come down between Ayr and Homehill.

Sounds like 2 ppl transferred to hospital no info on injuries accept possility that one is critical.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

This morning's Townsville Bulletin names the pilot as Ayr businessman Neville Walker who is in critical condition and his female passenger was seriously injured. Nev flew gyrocopters for many years (and even had a Harley-powered model for a time!) - he was a regular at the Donnington Airshow. I met with him a few months before the Ingham event to discuss bringing his Safari (Baby Belle) homebuilt chopper to the show - as it turned out we didn't see him and I'm presuming the weather kept him away. Thoughts are with him and his family (and for his passenger as well).

Guest Maj Millard

Nev Walker is a legend up this way and was currently flying a 'Baby Belle' chopper which he built from a kit. I assume this is the machine involved in the crash. Nothing Nev ever owned or flew could be discribed as a 'dodgy backyard shed job'. Nev is an experienced engineer and machinst, and operated Walker Engineering for many years.

He has previously owned another kit-built helicopter, a Lightwing, and large gyrocopter. I've always had a lot of respect for both his fixed, and rotary-wing expertise.

I am hoping the outcome here is positive for both involved.................................................Ross Millard

Guest Maj Millard

The news is good !...I spoke tonight to one of Nevilles good friends in the Burdekin, and although he is still in an induced coma, generally he's ticking all the good boxes so far. He's got a way to go especially with his heart problem, but is headed in the right direction .

The female passenger who was also reported as seriously injuried, was released the same evening with only bruising.

The chopper went down into a ploughed paddock, and she was thrown clear.

It appears Nev felt a heart attack coming on, and attempted to put it down. The passenger is reported to have said that he was not doing a lot towards the end, so he's done good....I look foward to having a beer with Nev sometime in the future..............................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Nevs' a legend in these parts from way back. (AUF days) I'm wishing him all the best. I'll see if I can get to visit him when appropriate, and I'll get a getwell card heading his way shortly..........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest GraemeM

Please keep us updated as to Nev's condition.

All of us here in Ingham who are friends with Nev are unable to get anything out of the hospital.

As we have known Nev for some time we do not know the rest of his family very well and they do not know us, makes it hard to keep informed.

He is thought of very highly here amoungst the flyers.

Graeme.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi there graham, I talked with Kiwi one of Nevs Burdekin mates during the week, and he told me Nev appears to be ticking all the right boxes at this stage (Thursday). He was still in an induced coma, and has the heart condition and at least a broken leg to still deal with. He had communicated with his son by sight which was a good sign. He seems to be moving in the right direction at that stage. I'll talk again to Kiwi on Monday and post an update. Nev did real good getting it down considering his heart attack. I know we all wish him the best........................Ross.

PS: I have kiwis' home number, if you want I could PM it to you. I don't think he would mind if you gave him a call.

Or alternatly give me a call on 47 754 647 I am at home at the moment................cheers

Guest GraemeM
Spoke with nev last night he is in good sprits talking about rebuilding the chopper already So great news I think ,

Thanks for the update Doug.

Graeme.

Guest Maj Millard

Hard to keep a good man down !!.............................................................................................

I dropped up to see Nev tonight, he's looking good and hoping to leave hospital later this week if all goes well. He's seems to be keeping his canadian nurse fairly busy !........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif