Recreational Flying Member Fly-In?

Guest bateo

Guest bateo

G'day Guys,

Talking to Ian last night on the Chatroom about a possibility of having an Annual Recreational Flying Member Fly-In.. As discussed it may arise in the near future...

So I thought I'd get the ball rolling on your opinions on about having an Annual Fly-In at a Specific Aerodrome sometime in the near future...

• Would or Wouldnt you Attend??

AND

• Opinions of a town/aerodrome that could facilitate this Fly-in for Rec. flying members.. (Please keep in mind of RBT Aerodromes ((ASIC CARDS)), areas around Controlled Airspace, Altitude etc that may affect RA-Aus operations) A place that can accomodate members over-night and host activities for the non-flying Pax (Shopping, Tours, Wine Tasting??)

This can give the moderators a general opionion about the idea.....

Cheers Guys

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pelorus32

I'd love to do this. So here's my $0.02 worth.

One of the lessons that I learned from Narromine is that Celia enjoyed and participated in the trip up and back but she found the time there a bit boring.

For me activities like flying are about being together with my friends and most importantly my family and being able to go somewhere interesting in quick time.

Soooo if we are going to have a fly in then let's make sure that wherever we go is a good interesting location in itself, not just a nice airstrip!!:;)3:

Access to good food for a Saturday night dinner is also important.

There you are...no effing use at all so far as a location...just a wish list!!

Regards

Mike

Guest Fred Bear

As stupid as it may seem I think Mildura would be a good bet Geoff. Plenty of food and wine and something for the ladies to do. I don't think an ASIC is required??? To answer your question Sam.

a) Yes I would attend. I'm very keen on the idea of putting more faces to names.

b) Avoid places where ASICs are req'd.

c) Food is always a good idea. I thought Narromines was quite boring actually. I thought the $20 all you can eat on the Saturday night was a bit of a waste. Don't get me wrong, if I am going to pay $20 for a meal I am more than happy to as long as I get a little more than sausages, chicken kebabs, a couple of pasta salads and some prawn cutlets. There is only so much of this one can eat. I tell you, I would love to see a change next yr at Narromine. We were just talking about this at The Oaks. Why not have a $40 or something all you can eat but have an interesting menu? Some smoked salmon, oysters and other items of interest? I am sure people would be only too happy to pay that after a days flying to have a good meal. I will be bringing this issue up another time. I do feel food at Narromine is too bland. I'm a big eater and enjoy my food so without bragging, I should know!Another topic here anyhow...

Guest pelorus32

I think that Mildura is a good suggestion but it does need an ASIC I think - RPT.

However if you live in Vic then Cessnock is a long way away. What's in the middle?

Mike

Guest bateo

Good suggestions guys.. Such opinions will be researched by the moderators if it goes ahead.. Only early days yet though

Yes you do need ASIC at Mildura But not at the Sunrayis Gliding Club 2 nt South West of the Mildura Airfield. A lot could be worked on hear as we have 3 BIG strips Club house [old] B/Q toilets showers plenty of room, 8kl from town.You can see the main Airfield in the back ground before the Lakes

1961518077_Blocks047.jpg.09d5d99b31c5607413b0b672506c9964.jpg

Guest bateo

Just as an example,

Port Macquarie was also discussed, But ASIC cards would be needed although maybe a possibility of an exemption for the event..

Great Views over looking the coast and large populated area accomodating for the event, Great Aerodrome facilities..

Problems with this we discussed were Coastal winds, RBT, ASICS...

Pitty Mudgee has a bit of a higher Altitude, ASICS and RBT !haha

I think

I can see many people suggesting places in Victoria lol.. Nothing wrong with that though.. Keep em Coming

Guest Redair

OK, so I don't have an aircraft yet, but just as a matter of interest, I thought I would not only read this thread, but stick my oar in as well, (yes I do have a boat, and oars!!). It would seem to me that if this idea was to be taken up, then rather than just pick one airstrip, to use again and again, would it not be a good idea to change the venue every year? After all, this is a very BIG country, and no matter where the event was held, there would surely be many who would love to attend, but would not be able to due to distance/time etc. or a lack of cross country flying experience that may prove off-putting. Just a thought.

Regards, Redair.

Guest bateo

G'day Redair,

I think that the Venue would be changed every year.. Afterall, Most clubs usually have an AGM at a different venue every year to make the event more exciting.. and for some, more possible.. Especially those from SA like yourself

Temora?

No ASIC requirements, great museum, caravan park for camping... there is a great flying club, really nice people.

I have no idea what other accommodation or food places there are though...

Guest bateo

I actually to said Temora.. Great Facilities.. Town is only nearby.. Accomodation is good. Museum which is great.. Except maybe a bit boring for the non-aviation enthusiaists... Another good town to research a bit though..

Guest Crash Lander

I'll suggest Barwon heads. 20 minute drive from Geelong, for the girls. Within easy distance of very scenic flights to the 12 Apostles and the Great Ocean Road, and also heaps of wineries in the aea. Several caravan parks within a 5-8 minute drive from the airfield. Not much as far as food goes on field, but Barwon Heads has some trendy cafe's and and an apparently rockin' pub real close to the caravan parks.

Guest Fred Bear
caravan park for camping.

Love that suggestion Kaz. BigPete, love your suggestion of the beer drinking. Wherever I go mate there is bound to be beer coming along for all to enjoy (ask anyone who has been on an outing with me) ;) Maybe The Oaks? I would only have to drive then...Seriously though, if some members could not fly there wherever the event,driving could be an option.It's getting together in the end that counts.

It's a great idea.

I support moving it around periodically and suggest that wherever it is held needs to allow camping by the aircraft.

If it is pitched right I am certain that many country towns will provide tangible support to have such an event .... even incentives as many are very keen to attract group gatherings of any type.

another plug for Melbourne - Tooradin or Lilydale perhaps...

former has a great restaurant, accommodation (i think) nearby, close to phillip island, south gippsland

latter is right in the middle of the yarra valley - chateau yeering, etc

Lee.

Guest Andys@coffs

Perhaps a different way of ascertaining an appropriate place,:

Now many nautical miles are you prepared to fly / drive to get to a location.

For me in Adelaide, given that its likely to be a weekend, There Sat back Sun I dont want to travel more than about 5 hrs which translates to 550 -600nm's. Obviously with that distance a requirement is that the location chosen have AVGAS available. I to would prefer a non ASIC location.

So with that in mind Im happy for anywhere in mid-western NSW or anywhere in Vic.

Regards

Andy

Guest David C
Just watch out mate, Dave C is into the Chateau Cardboard! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hey !! theres nothing wrong with it .... At $8.99 for a 4L cask thats seems OK to me 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif...

I reckon Ultralights suggestion of Cessnock seems the go ... Has plenty of wineries for us winos , good restaurants for foodies like Darren , easy to find , just fly to Warners Bay and chuck a left !! , but more importantly is a long way to any decent shops , so at least the ladies won't bankrupt us all ;)..

David C