Recreational Flying Member Fly-In?

Guest bateo

if i remember correctly, someone here has a 700 mtr long farm strip near Bathurst!!! ;)

Hmmm - Yes, it appears that your recall is correct keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif ..

I would love to host a mini-flyin one day - and sling a Hereford on the spit - however my strip is really only one-way for 3-axis 'heavies', so needs winds of SW/W/NW to work; hence a bit difficult to fix a day/s.

That's why I suggested Bathurst Soaring Club - they have long strip, great facilities and is close to the city centre, with lots of history + Mt Panorama + shopping + restaurants... I also figure it is reasonably central for Mexicans and Banana Benders and Crow Eaters.

Cheers,

Chris

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fred Bear

Chris,

Would work well that suggestions mate. My farm strip out of Bathurst is only 250m long and I doubt that would accomodate 'heavies'.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest David C
Chris,Would work well that suggestions mate. My farm strip out of Bathurst is only 250m long and I doubt that would accomodate 'heavies'.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thats plenty long enough Darren .... for perhaps a ummm.. Bantam 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

Guest Fred Bear
Thats plenty long enough Darren .... for perhaps a ummm.. Bantam

I could do 5 touch and goes with 250m in the Bantam mate.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest David C

Paul .

I've flown with Darren ..... When he says he could do 5 touch and goes in 250M with the Bantam , he really means it ..006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

David C

Guest bateo

We have had a great response on this thread.. (few members even got excited giving me the impression we should have a competition on who can land the most in 250m haha).

We do have to make sure though, no matter where or when the fly-in.. That we get a significant number of members/pilot to join us to facilitate the events planned.. e.g tours, competitions etc...

I know it will all depend on the date/location so it will be hard.. I may set up a voting poll to see how many actually intend on attending the event.. Keep the suggestions coming....

Guest Decca

Thanks for getting the discussion going Sam. Yes I'm in. Although I agree with Don re make a decision, work out the details to keep everyone amused, & go, I suggest Ballarat. Three sociable aero clubs (no-one wears an asic) & airport close to the city with all amenities. (Plus not far for me to drive, but I'll drive to wherever to get to my first drive-in oh I mean fly-in). Also closer for Andys etc, not so for WA.

For Ian: Any other Fly-ins or events that would not allow members to attend on those long weekends mentioned Ian?

Decca.

Guest Crash Lander
Thanks for getting the discussion going Sam. Yes I'm in. Although I agree with Don re make a decision, work out the details to keep everyone amused, & go, I suggest Ballarat. Three sociable aero clubs (no-one wears an asic) & airport close to the city with all amenities. (Plus not far for me to drive, but I'll drive to wherever to get to my first drive-in oh I mean fly-in). Also closer for Andys etc, not so for WA.For Ian: Any other Fly-ins or events that would not allow members to attend on those long weekends mentioned Ian?

Decca.

Ballarat is another good suggestion I reakon, but it's less than 45 minutes by air to Barwon Heads, which Ian made the following comment about:

"Barwon Heads is really only good for the southerners - a small fly for the Melburnians and reasonable fly for the Adelaiders but we can always consider it by vote each year which is what I will do next once we have ascertained comment and the dates."

I'd suggest that Ballarat would fall into the same category, although I'd imagine Ballarat is a bit bigger than Barwon Heads.

Ok, I will make some assumptions here and want to hear if they are correct as time is running out to organise something if:

1. We have our first Recreational Flying Flyin on the Queens Birthday long weekend in June

2. We will have two a year - one in the central to North East side of Australia (from Port Macquarie up) on the Queens Birthday weekend and a 2nd one at the Melbourne Cup Day weekend which will be central to South of the East side of Australia (Narromine and down).

3. The locations will change every year

4. A preference for airfields in the order of:

a. Camp under wing is allowed

b. Caravan park with on-site vans near by

c. Access to showers and toilet facilities

d. Access to meals - bar-be-cues etc as well

e. Able to provide a one evening meal and entertainment

f. Organised trips to local sites

DO YOU AGREE WITH THE ABOVE???

So, looking at this I think Port Macquarie is out due to it being an ASIC strip BUT please let me know of any other strips that are close by or North from there.

Time is running out as I will need to contact a club or whoever to be able to start organising it ASAP

Guest pelorus32

Hi Ian,

that sounds great. As for the Port area I wonder whether the strip at Camden Haven that Paul N posted a pic of would be open to that idea?

The one change to criteria I would have is that Narromine is in fact too far north for the southern fly-in - come and hour or two south and you have it.

Cup weekend is good though as often as not it's wet!!

I'm in for that one.

Regards

Mike

Agree, it was just that I am at work and I didn't have a map handy to name a place a bit further South but say something like West Wyalong.

Port Mac may not be ruled out as I am currently working on it - Cambden Haven or even Kempsey may be alternatives.

Guest Fred Bear

I (and that's just me) say I'd like to keep away from ASIC fields...totally.June long weekend we are always having a fireworks weekend at the folks property outside Hill End/Bathurst so that's a family tradition (but that's just my circumstance) but any other time, beauty!

Ian,

I feel pretty sure that Bob and Nellie Furness would welcome a well organised/managed fly-in at Camden Haven. His contacts are [email protected], Ph: 0265594281. I know that they have catered for other fly-ins from time to time. They have 2 or 3 cabins on site and provide camping facilities by the river next to the strip (good fishing too). Float planes also are welcome and land on the river adjacent to the strip. I expect hire bus transport can be arranged for access to Kew (5 mins), Kendall (10 mins) and Laurieton (15 mins) all with various accomm options.

I know from experience that flight time at around 100kts from Cooma (coastal) is just under 4 hrs. If members wish to come but don't have access to wings, the airfield is adjacent to the Pacific H'way and the main northern trains stop at Kendall (XPT 6.5hrs from Syd Central or 8 hrs from Bris).

This is a great location with June temps around 10 to 25, however, it is coastal and thus subject to coastal weather, although should be pretty stable at that time of year.

I realise Port Mac is an RPT airport but from my experience the guys there are pretty relaxed about ASICs. Would the HDFClub be favourable to making their facilities available for a fly-in? Could we not park our a/c on their apron area? And there is a reasonable caravan park just 1 or 2 km from the airport. BTW, I like the pretty blue Gazelle on their web site.

6 weeks doesn't leave a lot of time to make it all come together, but hey, let's give it a go ;)

Just some thoughts.

Paul

That's a great idea Paul.

I am hoping to hear back from Port Mac tomorrow but I think Camden Haven may be the 2nd choice - If it ends up going that way then I will need to check the availability to hold such an event like showers, toilets, meals, dinner and entertainment night, fuel, maintenance, costs etc for the Queens Birthday weekend.

I want the shop here to pay for as much as possible to help keep any costs down and I think I may have to work on say 50 aircraft - as a guess, or is that wishful thinking 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.

Ian,

50 visiting a/c would be great, maybe a bit optimistic for a first effort though. I guess good and extensive promotion would go a long way to help make it happen. I mean, beyond the forum pages. Friendly, well run fly-ins "sponsored" by this forum would be a good way of making the forum even better recognised. So, when the "go button" is pushed, I believe we should encourage forum members to promote the event among interested friends and club groups, even if the members themselves can't get along on that particular occasion.

Here's a thought. Camden Haven Airfield was originally built by Dick Smith for his private use way back when he lived at Laurieton. I wonder how well he would receive an invite to attend as event patron?

With respect to The Shop covering some of the tab ... I think not. You've turned your pockets out enough already mate. I'm sure we members would be more than happy to pay our own way.

Paul

Chris - the biggest problem is time - to have a poll will take a week to allow for members to vote but we are only talking about having it in less then 6 weeks away - it would have been good to have a poll which would be a great idea for the Southern one but I think we need to get this one happening now

Hi All

I urgently need comment on using Port Macquarie as the location of our first Flyin.

I have contacted the Hastings District Flying Club who are the flying club at Port Macquarie who in turn have contacted the Shire Council about us having our flyin there. The Council have said no to camping under the wing but have said yes to parking many aircraft there for the Queens Birthday long weekend.

The Council have also agreed to allowing us if we want to camp out in the Club's hangar (large hangar with concrete floor) and club rooms. There is also a caravan park with onsite vans and camping grounds about 800m from the airfield which could be used for those that want that - we would organise transport to and from the caravan park.

Now although initial responses from several club committee members have been good it would still have to go to the committee next week to approve it.

So what I need to know from you people is would this type of arrangement be ok with you?

The other alternative which I haven't chased up yet is Camden Haven but I am not sure about shower etc facilities there or even if we could hold it there but it is an option that I can chase up if you prefer. I presume camping under the wing could be organised or there is accom in the town for those that prefer that.

The activities I am planning for Port Mac which also I would like to get your opinion on is:

Sat

- Arrive at Port Mac

- General look around and chat

- Bar open in the afternoon

- In-formal barbecue dinner (meat and salads paid for by Rec Flying although donations accepted) as a meet and greet with the bar open at clubs prices.

Sun

- Wake to bacon and eggs, cereal etc breakfast (paid for by Rec Flying)

- Local area flights of the magnificent country side. Perhaps an organised fly down to Camden Haven for a barby lunch. Trips into Port Mac organised for partners etc.

- Organised dinner in the club rooms (possibly $20 a head) which includes a meal, entertainment and guest speakers in-between entertainment. Bar open at club prices.

Mon

- Again wake to a bacon and eggs breakfast

- Either depart or for those that have time an organised trip into Port Mac for those that can depart later in the day.

I am presuming something similar if Camden haven ended up the choice (subject to availability) except there may be a possibility to include a river cruise and don't forget the fishing.

This is all just thinking out loud at this stage but when I can get a few comments I will get stuck into organising it all. Also I have created a poll in the Announcements forum so if you think you may be able to make it then please tick the poll so I can start getting a picture of the interest.

Thanks for your help!

Guest bateo

G"day all,

Sorry I have been away on work.. I think Port is the way to go first fly-in as there are more things to do (especially for the pax), and great scenery.. A big club/council sound like they are willing to help us out.. I do think that Rec. flying does not need to fund any of the meals, buses etc.. I am sure everyone will 'throw in' for their fair share, Ian you have already gone to funding this site from your own pocket, and being our first attempt at a fly-in, it should be wise to see how many turn up and if it is successful before spending un-necessary money.

I am in for Port, most probably for one night... But hopefully weather permitting, I shall be there if all goes ahead!