Tuggie pilots

Tomo

I'm now in that classification of a tug pilot...

Got the signed off as competent the other day, did my tow training over at Kingaroy in "Camal", a 180hp C150... a great fun aeroplane that's for sure! I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and learnt a lot.

Did half a days towing at Jondaryan in the Pawnee a day later. Love the Pawnee, though I now understand where that name eventuated from... my right leg was pretty sore by the end of it! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Anyway I'm sure there are some seasoned tug pilots on the forum, and I love to hear as much as I can from anyone, so I can improve myself, and be the safest pilot I can be.

Tips, tricks, stories - good, bad or ugly...

Thanks 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 2

KML, ah that brings back memories of my circuit training days at the Roy jostling for positions with the camel. I spoke to Darryl and another bloke Tom I think, the following day. They told me about the other tug with the V8 which has a very interesting history. Just gotta watch that tow rope ov the thresh-hold!

KML, ah that brings back memories of my circuit training days at the Roy jostling for positions with the camel. I spoke to Darryl and another bloke Tom I think, the following day. They told me about the other tug with the V8 which has a very interesting history. Just gotta watch that tow rope ov the thresh-hold!

Yeah, fitting in with us Tuggies is hard work! :peepwall: The Contra circuit system at Kingaroy is a great way to keep things flowing nicely though. Check out the Pawnee, it's a work of art - so quiet with the exhaust system, and lovely big radiator you don't have to worry about shock cooling or anything!

Don't you mean the arrester cable Relfy ... LOLWell done Tomo. Do any of the Tugs you fly have those electric wind in tow lines or do you still trail the cable in over the threshold as it used to be done?

Still trail the 60 meters out the back... you just gotta remember it of course when coming in to land! Not to bad at Jondaryan, but Kingaroy you have a boundary fence that has been known to get pulled apart at times...

• Like 2

True about that exhaust, it runs underneath down to near the tail wheel! I heard it from my parents place running hard then nothing, off the gas and straight back for the strip. Didn't sound natural but after seeing the set up, it makes sense.

Can anyone comment on how much glider experience a prospective tug pilot needs at the average gliding club before starting to do some towing (assuming they have the requisite experience on power a/c & a tow endorsement)?

Any general thoughts on making the transition appreciated.

I have been offered tug endorsements by Gliding Clubs over the years and generally they will train you and give you the endorsement. There is a manual issued by the GFA on tugging (no jokes OK). I assume it is the same today.

Tomo has just done it so hopefully he will give us the current oil on the subject..

Can anyone comment on how much glider experience a prospective tug pilot needs at the average gliding club before starting to do some towing (assuming they have the requisite experience on power a/c & a tow endorsement)?Any general thoughts on making the transition appreciated.

Hello Moz! As DI said I just got my tow approval the other week.

There is 'actually' no glider experience required by CASA for the approval, but common sense would be to understand a bit of what is happening back there, and it gives you a better appreciation of the whole operation. Depending on the club you are towing for as to what they have as a requirement. I am at solo stage in gliders, so not a lot of actual time at all really.

Understanding what is happening at the glider end is very important for early pilots also, as you can be their 'critic' so to speak and help them out if they aren't doing things correctly. Glider pilots that are also Tuggies are nice to tow as they will make your job in the cockpit much easier, like flying slightly left so you don't have to hold right rudder in the whole time etc...

Where abouts were you thinking of doing the towing Moz? I had the benefit of actually being asked, as I was recommended by someone, which is always nice. If you wish PM your email and I can send you the GFA Tuggie manual.

Hi Tomo

Thanks for the info. The logical place for me would be Camden as its only about 10mins away. I'm not sure if you can do tow endorsements there or not - I had heard that you can do them at Bathurst with the Bathurst Soaring Club on a Pawnee. I have the tow pilots manual and have had a bit of a read - I found it interesting that it even includes AUF aircraft such as the Lightwing when talking about relevant experience for tow pilots.

Cheers