missing

Found - one deceased north of Injune 3:10pm today. A weak signal was detected in the area, was hoping it was not a hiker in the nearby Carnarvon National Park - turned out to be the plane. Pilot was from Roma Qld, family notified, name to be released soon. RIP

Sue

Found - one deceased north of Injune 3:10pm today. A weak signal was detected in the area, was hoping it was not a hiker in the nearby Carnarvon National Park - turned out to be the plane. Pilot was from Roma Qld, family notified, name to be released soon. RIPSue

Do we know what type of plane it was??

Pete

Do we know what type of plane it was??Pete

Believed to be a C210 (but I have not seen it - the wreckage). He was heading to a mine at Dysart. The name has been mentioned on other sites, but I see the Police have been removing it from their FB page comments so I guess it hasn't been officially released, so I won't be mentioning it. He was involved with the Roma Aero Club, experienced pilot, came down on track, in relatively flat country. Doesn't sound like engine failure, no known radio call, guessing he was incapacitated in some way. I would expect ATSB investigation, but the Qld Police media says the Forensic Crash Unit are investigating. No doubt I will hear more on the grapevine.

One good thing - he took his ELT or PLB with him so he was found within 24 hours. The two who went missing at Emerald left theirs in the car. Always take it with you and arm it.

Sue

C210M VH-WBZ owned by Chipford P/L an earthmoving, pipe laying contracting company, owned by the pilot

ATSB prelim report http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2011/aair/ao-2011-160.aspx

It was reported that the pilot, the sole occupant on-board, departed about 1450 EST on Wednesday 7 Dec from Roma for Dysart Qld in a Cessna single-engine C210 aircraft.

When the aircraft did not arrive at its destination, a search was commenced. On Thursday 8 December the aircraft was located about 25 Km north of Injune in central Queensland which is about 90 km north of Roma

The pilot was fatally injured in the accident.

The ATSB has deployed four investigators from the Canberra office to the accident site. They are expected to arrive on site later today, Friday 9 December.

While on-site the team will examine the aircraft wreckage, interview any witnesses and collect evidence such as weather and maintenance records. The final public report should be released within the next nine months.

Sue

The Roma Aero club lost a good mate last week and we are all still in shock and disbelief over it.

No details as yet but it is hard difficult to wave a mate good bye and then find out he is dead. Fly safe everyone

Myself and another professional pilot freind accompanied the family to the crash site and spoke with the guys from ATSB. The ATSB people were really courteous and professional and do a great job.

I have been to other fatal crashes but have never seen one with such devastation as this. The C210 aircraft broke up in flight for reasons that only ATSB will uncover and the preliminary report will be out next month.

For those of you who knew Darryl, his funeral will be in the Roma Care Flight hanger this Friday 16th at 1130

If we are lucky we may get a warning scare but mostly we only get one go at people so please take care. I am always on the lookout for new students but not to replace the pilots that we lose to accidents.

• 9 months later...

Unfortunately the C210 has a Va speed way below the cruise speed. This is unfortunately not an isolated accident for 210s as reported out of the USA over the years.

Severe turbulence at cruise TAS in a C210 will quickly rip the wings off if it is traveling around 180 knots which they are capable off. Va from memory is around 110 / 120 knots , but my memory fades. Also from memory they are one of the few aircraft rated to drop the legs at cruise TAS as it is the most effective way to reduce speed rapidly. Since the aircraft is so slippery, reducing power takes too long to reduce speed in turbulence. I note the ATSB report stated the engine maintained cruise power which may indicate he got caught by surprise ... the poor beggar ... God rest his soul.

Thunderstorms are to be avoided at all costs, and turbulence can be severe even several miles from a big one. Many years ago a mate of mine got caught in one several miles from the CB in a C206 and reported having the power at idle nose down sitting close to VNE and the aircarft gaining height, he was terrified and was lucky it spat him out of the side, and lucky it was a C206 not a C210. For those of you unfamiliar with the type the C210 is a strut-less Cessna with a high speed wing, retractable legs and a 300 HP donk up front, a very fast commuter aircraft but with real structural limits at speed. The C206 is basically the same aircraft fuselage except with struts, a high lift wing and fixed legs ... two different performance types. The 210 being like a Ferrari and the 206 an F250.

Many people do NOT understand that control is often impossible in severe turbulence and is to be experienced to be believed, but I am not recommending the experience folks ... just please believe me.

A very timely reminder to us all of the relationship of speed to structural loads, especially of aircraft capable of such high TAS.

All the same a tragic outcome Bilby, especially since you knew him so well .. again our condolences to you and the family.

Regards,

Unfortunately the C210 has a Va speed way below the cruise speed. This is unfortunately not an isolated accident for 210s as reported out of the USA over the years.Since the aircraft is so slippery, reducing power takes too long to reduce speed in turbulence. I note the ATSB report stated the engine maintained cruise power which may indicate he got caught by surprise ... the poor beggar ... God rest his soul.

A very timely reminder to us all of the relationship of speed to structural loads, especially of aircraft capable of such high TAS.

All the same a tragic outcome Bilby, especially since you knew him so well .. again our condolences to you and the family.

Regards,

I have watched his wife and family fall apart from this accident.

It is unfortunate but there are things that have not come out in the accident report and thanks for the consideration, but no, he did not get caught by the storm as it was clearly visible from Roma and black as a dogs guts! The aircraft was found almost directly on track so it is quite possible that medical conditions could have contributed as it was clear skies to the NW so we will never know what happened to cause him to fly straight into one of the worse storms we had seen here in years.

Your point about manouvering speeds is one that is not taught nor understood very well and I do not know why it is not marked on the ASI. To make matters worse, this particular 210 had the 320hp engine and speed mods so was quite capable of very high speeds

Many thanks David and everyone,

Sad to hear that Bilby.

VA is not understood well by a lot of pilots. (nothing to do with this accident, just an observation). VA increases with weight. The heavier you are, the faster you can fly it.. If this doesn't make sense, then grab a book..:) Not a huge difference in our form of flying, but still a principle that should be understood.

• Like 1

Sad to hear that Bilby.VA is not understood well by a lot of pilots. (nothing to do with this accident, just an observation). VA increases with weight. The heavier you are, the faster you can fly it.. If this doesn't make sense, then grab a book..:) Not a huge difference in our form of flying, but still a principle that should be understood.

I think something else that is not fully understood is that ALOT of the current European ultralights flying here have a very low rough air or max structural cruise speed.

We have some very rough air out there especially in summer months and we need to get back below the yellow or caution area on the ASI or could end up with a structural failure very quickly. I think when looking for an ultralight that offers good cruise speeds then the max rough air speeds should also be looked at closely.

Cheers

• Like 3

A possible reason Va is not marked is because of it being a variable. Still, I see no reason why the worst case figure or a range could not be marked.

More the point though ... a pilot endorsed on type should be completely aware of the maneuvering speed limitations of the type and the techniques recommended to reduce speed in an emergency.

FAR 23 certified airplanes have maneuver speed placarded adjacent to the ASI. From memory the older British and Australian certified aeroplanes had a thicker green arc up to manoeuvre speed and a thinner one between Va and Vno.

But then I see too many pilots who don't seem to take much notice of placards.