What Plane can you be Trained in

The Ops Manual 2.15 - 16 states that the CFI can train in an Aircraft which complies with CAO 95.32 or 95.55, this includes all RAA approved Aircraft. My understanding is that the Plane needed to be factory built or you can be taught in your own approved kit built which YOU assembled 51%+.

Cosmick,

As someone looking at getting into PPC's with an end to eventually instruct, I am getting into the regs as part of my research into which to buy. The feedback on a PPC forum has suggested that only the Aerochute/Hummerchute is suitable, however:

95.32 doesn't actually state that any of the 4 variations (1.1 Manufactured complete or manufactured kit, 1.2 Special LSA, 1.3 Experimental LSA, or 1.4 51%) are not usable to instruct for reward.

The only reference I can find so far is:

95-32 6.1 (b) (iii) states that if it is a 2-place aeroplane, that flying training to obtain a pilot certificate is an acceptable purpose; and

95-32 6.1 (d) states that if being used for training, then the person conducting the training must be an instructor.

Is it possible that the RAA/CASA allowed some PPC's to register under 32, but either RAA or CASA placed restrictions on their use with respect to using them as a dual trainer for reward?

or are there other regs covering the specific use of the different types?

RC

• Like 1

Hi RC,

There is mountains of experience and knowledge in this forum and I am sure the answers are around the corner. I know what I've heard people say over the years as I have mentioned above but just can't find it in writing, it will be there somewhere and someone will pipe up and point it out.

Suggest you intro yourself in "Just Landed" state your experience and ambitions.

Guest GraemeM
Your understanding is correct for 95.55 Mick. Not real sure with 95.32I could hunt up some references if you wish.

That would be good thanks Mr Ahlocks.

Some one like me has trouble finding their way around the regs.

Graeme.

Thanks Ahlocks, some clarification would be good, as far as I can see the only difference between 95.55 and 95.32 is the types of Aircraft they cover. The wording in each section appears to be the same except type.

Bugger! I was counting on you saying "no thanks" ... 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

Mike, the devil is in the details. There are differences in the exemptions and conditions of flight. I've not spent a lot of time trawling through 95.32 as I don't fly or own one. Hopefully someone who does will join in. Anyway.....

95.55 - Three axis, up to 45knt stall, 600kg MTOW, yadda yadda yadda....

6 General conditions

6.1 The exemptions given by subsection 3, in relation to an aeroplane to which

this Order applies, are subject to the following general conditions:

(a) the aeroplane must not be used for any purpose other than:

(i) private operations including glider towing but not aerial application

operations; or

(ii) if the aeroplane has been wholly built and assembled by a

commercial manufacturer — flying training to enable a person to

obtain a pilot certificate;

plus this for owner builders

6.2 In spite of sub-subparagraph 6.1 (a) (ii), if a person has wholly built or

assembled an aeroplane to which this Order applies, or a group of persons has

wholly built or assembled such an aeroplane, then that person, or each of those

persons, may use the aeroplane for their personal flying training.

Usual disclaimers apply. Speak to your instructor, CFI, lawyer, etc., for proper advice.

Edit: Insert links to references used

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00617 - CAO95.55

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00615 - CAO95.32

http://www.raa.asn.au/opsmanual/2-15.pdf

Although the last paragraph above does apply, you will find that some instructors will not instruct on an aircraft you have built yourself.

And that's fair enough too IMHO. I don't think I'd want to fly in something I'd built either! see_no_evil.gif.405888ff9078f30e1e55f7c227388916.gif

• Like 2

And that's fair enough too IMHO. I don't think I'd want to fly in something I'd built either! see_no_evil.gif.405888ff9078f30e1e55f7c227388916.gif

Hang on a minute Ashlocks, your avatar states that you fly a re-cycled beer can so was that factory built or built by some guy called Fosters.? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.