First Flight 2012

JG3

A tradition that I have kept for many years is to take off at very first light on New Years morning, and meet the sun at 5000 ft, then follow it down to the ground again.

What a great way to start the New Year!

So much better than nursing a sore head under a pillow....

Here's what I saw this year, over Somerset Dam, SE Qld.

Wishing everyone tailwinds in everything you do this coming year.

JG

361425259_Firstsunrise2012.JPG.67cbdeb5bf0af01e289a0b779a26ee34.JPG

• Like 8

Guest Maj Millard

Great shot there JG, Yes it used to be an old tradition when I was an active lawndart (skydiver)...try to get on the last load in the old year, and the first in the new year. I've got friends staying over today , but I do plan to get out later today for some new years' air in the Lightwing.......happy new year everybody !!!!!!..................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest davidh10

The first flight for me this year was a group affair with six aircraft, organised as usual by our CFI. We departed Yarrawonga at 06:45 and flew as a group to Albury, where we landed. Unfortunately there was nobody at the Aero Club, so a cup of tea had to be scratched off the agenda. After standing around like stale bottles for a bit and exercising the cameras, we decided to depart earlier than scheduled and take a loop over Lake Hume, there still being plenty of time to clear the airspace before it became active at 09:00.

After taking off from Albury, three of us formed up as a Vee for the flight over the lake, then back over the top at Albury before turning for home. On the way back we overflew Corowa while the gliders still had their eyes closed in sleep, lined up beside the taxiway.

The air was smooth and it was a delightful flight, although it was inexplicably quite rough as we arrived at circuit height back at Yarrawonga to land. If the video is ok after I've edited it, I'll link it here later.

Happy new year to all.

I think its a great tradition.....I hopefully will do my first one 1/1/2013 either at Caboolture or up here at Booyal.....I hope to have my sav flying at the end of february this yearMark

Look forward to seeing your New Years photo next year, Mark.

Be good if there were lots of photos from here and there. Might start something....

JG

My phone wouldn't let me upload photo so here it is[ATTACH=full]16104[/ATTACH]

Good shot Greg.

Yeh, I measured 29 kts at one time. But very smooth that time of day, deceptive..... But still dead calm on the ground.

JG

Guest Andys@coffs

well, I didnt make sunrise, but was flying before lunch. South Grafton, Lismore for fuel, Ballina, a quick circuit around Byrons lighthouse, down to Yamba, past evans head....looking very quite for this time of the year, and back to South Grafton along the clarence river.

about 15kts out of the south and quite bumpy under the small Cu's that were slowly burning off.

Andy

Here's Balina, Town to the left, Airport to the Right. Mr REX was just about to take off towards me and when I told him my location he was very interested in intentions....The obvious answer was I intend to continue having fun...but of course that wasnt what he was after. Shortly after this we passed under a Vugin Australia Emb 190 on decent into Balina, I reckon he was about 1000ft above me. Was pretty close and impressive to look at.

IMG_1572.thumb.jpg.3c7710e15d439f06f67bdf0cd93b07eb.jpg

Heres Mr Virgin Aust

IMG_1578.thumb.jpg.b53bfafcc081a3a85ec4505bc8aa4894.jpg

And our very own most easterly point Cape Byron...The hangies were giving it heaps on the southern side...Have to say that looks like great fun !!!

IMG_1555.thumb.jpg.1e6740fb4d938fee2f773d8d3c30d052.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Nice shots there Andy, and Ballinas' looking good. I managed an hour myself late this afternoon, dropped into Starke Field and found one of my mates Mark Pepperdine camped there with wife and kids, and also busting in the new year with a lot of flying in his gazelle. All good..........................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Unfortunately we cannot be taking off at sunrise (as far as I am aware) at Gawler because we need to keep the neighbors happy (fair enough). It would be nice though. You would have rocks in your head if you went flying today, 41C and hardly a whiff of breeze. It's 35C under the apple tree at 8pm, silly, just silly.