Lake Hume Crash

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pookemon

Interesting to see the differences between the different news agencies. According to The Age he was seen doing loops before crashing and swam to shore... The Herald Sun has him "emerging unharmed" and the ABC has him being dragged from the plane by holiday makers. Given that the last actually has a photo of the aircraft, and the extent of the damage, I think I'll go with the ABC's version of events...

according to a mate who used his boat to pull the sapphire in,he was approx 2ft off the water doing steep turns than flying low again first turn looked great then he circled another boat and the right wing tip entered the water,and in she went he was floating in the water when they got too him beside his boat,

few other friends called saying he was doing loops over bowna area heading to ebden where he went in ?i was not there but mate sent some photos he took its a write off broke the boom just behind the pilot seat,

i was not there just written what i have been told!

Guest pookemon

Well it certainly looks like one wing tip hit harder than the other based on the condition of the starboard vs port wings in the ABC photo. RAA registered so "Loops" will be a feature of the ATSB's questions I would think...

That and "how are you supposed to glide to land from 2ft? blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Guest Maj Millard

J170 0wner, that journo wouldn't have been Bernie keenan would it ?............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

We had a guy do the same thing up here in the North a few years ago, with a passenger in back of his Drifter.He didn't hang around to answer questions and hasn't been seen since !

J170 0wner, that journo wouldn't have been Bernie keenan would it ?............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gifWe had a guy do the same thing up here in the North a few years ago, with a passenger in back of his Drifter.He didn't hang around to answer questions and hasn't been seen since !

Nope.

Guest davidh10

It would be quite a feat to get in to Lake Hume while the Class D airspace was open, given that the water level is about 590' AMSL, a large part of the lake is Class D down to the SFC and most of the rest of the lake has Class D down to 2,000'. Then of course there's the surrounding hills, some of which protrude into that 2,000' level.

Standard tower hours (UTC) are: TWR HR 2015-1030 MON-FRI ; 2300-0700 SAT, 2300-1030 SUN. 1HR EARLIER HDS

It is certainly a beautiful area. I flew over part of the lake on New Year's Day, before the airspace opened. I think that with airspace open, to get to the accessible parts of the lake, you'd need to be very comfortable flying at 500' AGL and winding your way around the wooded valleys between the hills.

Oh dear,

With that kind of witness account it paints RAA in bad light again. If the posted witness account is accurate, what he was doing amounts to foolish flying that close to the water. Most of us know the Sapphire is a nice maneuverable aircraft, but the risks at the level awl reported are high indeed.

Guest pookemon

Section 2.14 of the Operations manual clearly states that the pilot may lose their certificate - at the very least it may be suspended or "altered".

That alone is possible for the contravention of CAO 95.10 - 6.1 (b)

subject to paragraph 6.3, the aeroplane must not be operated above a body of water at a horizontal distance from a suitable landing area of more than:(i) the distance that the aeroplane can glide in the case of engine failure; or

(ii) if in accordance with paragraph 6.2 — 25 nautical miles;

It would be quite a feat to get in to Lake Hume while the Class D airspace was open, given that the water level is about 590' AMSL, a large part of the lake is Class D down to the SFC and most of the rest of the lake has Class D down to 2,000'. ....

Jim Williams takes off from Albury where he is based then lands his Bird Dog on floats on the Lake and goes fishing... I believe this stirs the TWR up no end!

kaz

Well it certainly looks like one wing tip hit harder than the other based on the condition of the starboard vs port wings in the ABC photo. RAA registered so "Loops" will be a feature of the ATSB's questions I would think...That and "how are you supposed to glide to land from 2ft? blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

I wonder IF there will be public / government pressure to have the ATSB look at this one??

Probably not.

Cheers

I wonder IF there will be public / government pressure to have the ATSB look at this one??Probably not.

Cheers

Well if I was in one of the boats and some lunatic decided to turn round me 2' above the deck I'd be making sure someone stopped him, particulary if I had family on board

So what, if any, sort of punishment will the pilot get from the RAA for this sort of flying?

Hi FT,

I would reckon if the witness reports are verified as reported here, he will be suspended, and again I don't know if RA Aus has the power to apply punitive damages (fine him/her) in addition to suspension. I know pilots up here have been suspended for low flying that did not result in an accident.

Guest Andys@coffs

RAA isnt big on "Name and Shame" which is not to say that they and CASA dont penalise. However I think at this stage to be talking penalties is the cart before we've even seen the horse.....Let the process work through........ <all the while shaking my head in disbelief!!!>

Andy

Guest pookemon
Not to mention that it is illegal to fly with in 100m of a person not associated with the aircraft operations according to the CAO's I believe...040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Except when taking off or landing, an aeroplane to which this Order applies that is flown at a height lower than 500 feet above ground level must be at a distance of at least 100 metres horizontally from:(a) a public road; or

(b) a person, other than a person associated with the operation of the aeroplane; or

© a dwelling, except with the permission of the occupier.

Now that's interesting - "500 feet above ground level"...

Now that's interesting - "500 feet above ground level"...

What is interesting about that pookemon?

You can legally fly below 500' with the landowner's permission if GA and if RAA you additionally need a Low Level endorsement.