Some reflections on my first Drifter flights

Justin Hawkins

scary stuff. the pitfalls of buying a used experimental.

True. I hope I have all the bugs worked out. The failure was my fault on both accounts, for failure to perform a more thourough inspection before I flew it the first time. Assume nothing.

I updated the blog again, with a post detailing my second in flight engine failure.

http://www.shutterflightphotography.com/stupid-fuel-filter/

You're very lucky to put the aircraft and yourself on the ground in one piece with the engine stopping at such a low height AGL.

In Oz it's the law that we remain above 500ft AGL (1,00ft AGL over closely settled areas) unless taking off or landing, or flying over private property with the land owners permission and have a low altitude endorsement.

Even then I tend to cruise above 1,000ft AGL and really only come down to cruise at 500ft AGL if over large areas of cleared land.

I've seen fuel filters go very black very quickly and start affecting fuel flow after using borrowed steel fuel cans which looked a bit old. Using a good enough filter funnel like a "Mr Funnel" could mitigate that. But I normally use plastic fuel cans to avoid that particular issue and because they have an air tight seal the fuel in them seems to last longer before loosing its octane rating.

Hope you manage to iron out any remaining bugs in your Drifter to enjoy it for many years to come.

Cheers,

Glen

But I normally use plastic fuel cans .... the fuel in them seems to last longer before loosing its octane rating.Cheers, Glen

I know that plastic fuel cans are approved for use eastmeg2, and I use one, but I don't like the idea of fuel being stored for any length of time in one - I just reckon the plastic must react with the fuel, and possibly cause the fuel to lose some of its octane rating. Do you have any misgivings like this about plastic containers?

Pud

Hi Pud,

I have no misgivings about using approved plastic fuel containers. It's the steel ones I have misgivings about using since they're often not sealed and can thus allow moisture in and the fuel volatiles out. And they can rust inside - see post #7.

I've had some of my plastic fuel containers for nearly 7 years and have had no issues with them yet. If they start feeling brittle or weak I'll replace them but theres no sign of that yet.

I don't think the plastic used in their construction reacts with Petrol. Ethanol . . who knows, but then I've only been ptting PULP 95 in them for the last couple of years the reduce the risk of getting fuel with that yuck stuff in it.

Cheers,

Glen

Do you store fuel in the plastic containers for any length of time?

It's interesting your experience with metal vs plastic containers - I've had no issues regarding sealing with my metal jerry cans, but the plastic ones left in the canopy of my Hilux for any length of time definitely release some vapours. This happens with 2 different containers.

Pud

Hi Pud,

I have stored fuel in approved plastic containers for up to 3 months.

Even with PULP-95, if it's over 2 months old I'll mix it with fresher PULP-95 for aviation use.

Beyond 3 months, I'll donate the fuel to the quad-bike or generator etc . . .

I certainly would not store fuel containers inside a vehicle for any amount of time beyond travelling time. I always put them in a hangar or garage - even overnight.

I only use ULP-91 on occasions when flying far away from home and PULP is hard or impossible to find and will use it within a day or 2, taking as much care to avoid ethanol as I can (asking the locals).

Cheers,

Glen

Hey Fellas,Check out my blog entry detailing my first impressions of the Austflight Drifter.

Good on you Justin! The aircraft looks great!

Here`s a true story about Drifter first impressions.

This gentleman had been trained to fly by the RAAF. He had acheived the position of squadron leader and had flown just about everything there was to fly. He`d retired from the RAAF and was the cheif pilot for the Cairns branch of the Royal Flying Doctor Service at the time.

When I was instructing, he was bringing his young son to me to learn to fly the Drifter. Finaly I convinced him to take a flight in the Drifter with me. I briefed him and told him that because he`d always flown in enclosed cockpit aircraft, he may feel a little uncomfortable, but not to wory, because the only fear of falling out was the fear of falling out.

Great flight! We get back on the ground and the first thing he said, " I was sitting up there thinking, What the hell am I doing up here in this thing, I could fall out of this"

He later went on to buy and fly a Skyfox. His son became a top gun Drifter pilot and is now flying the heavy ones, for QANTAS.

Frank

Ps, Hey C., If you read this, G`Day and I`d love to hear from you. I know your dad wouldn`t mind me telling the story.

I just reckon the plastic must react with the fuel, and possibly cause the fuel to lose some of its octane rating. Do you have any misgivings like this about plastic containers?

Approved plastic containers are probably better for the fuel than the metal ones. All motor vehicle fuel tanks are plastic these days, and drums such as the Avgas 44's have plastic linings.

Guest Maj Millard

Had the red plastic containers for many years, some have probabily travelled as many NM as I have in the back of the Drifter and Lightwing. Never had a drama, and like most I avoid Ethonol like the plaque. I don't keep fuel in those containers for any length of time, and I generally always put some fresh fuel in with old before aviating. Having a 100hp 912 these days I mostly use 95 or 98 octain, and the plastic containers seem to seal ok..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Approved plastic containers are probably better for the fuel than the metal ones. All motor vehicle fuel tanks are plastic these days, and drums such as the Avgas 44's have plastic linings.

I didn't know that Tomo. Thanks.

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

Enjoyed your site justin, glad you are enjoying the Drifter.....................keep the great photos coming.................................................cheers Ross Millard (Maj)

Justin,Great blog! 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif What action are you going to take about the tank sealant? (Now that you know its breaking down?)

Peter

Thanks Peter !

I guess I should post a detailed explaination on the blog. Basically, I took the tank off, pulled out all the big chunks, then cleaned it. I put some laquer thinner in (maybe a pint) along with some various nuts, bolts, and washers. I then swirled it around for 20-30 minutes. Then I dumped it and flushed the tank with soapy water and let it dry for a few days. I then resealed the tank with Bill Hearsh brand gas tank sealant as per the instructions. I also replaced fuel lines, rebuilt the engine driven pump, and inspected the carbs. Runs like a top now, and I've got about 5 hours on her since the failure.