Filmed one of my lessons finally

HeadInTheClouds

Hi all,

Finally got a video camera and managed to film one of my lessons the other day. Was a decent session of circuits and we had the entire aerodrome to ourselves, no other traffic at all while we were flying. We practiced normal circuits, EFATO, glide approaches as well as an engine failure after takeoff at height with a turnback on to the runway for downwind landing (The downwind component was about 2 knots at the time), as well as an EFATO at 500', right over the threshold with a turnback, which is something that I probably would never attempt without an instructor in the right seat, and he assured me he would only actually attempt it because he knew the Foxbat could handle it, anything bigger though and the outcome wouldn't be the same. Anyway here is the video, editing it ate a large portion of the resolution unfortunately...

• Like 7

Nice video, liked the notes, but there were times when I thought your taxiing was a bit quick LOL, and your final seemed to take forever. Where I fly they drum "keep it tight" into you. But well done, enjoyed it.

The black area before the piano keys makes the runway look like it's floating, the black area appearing as shadow. One day I am going to make a lot of money by writing some software that takes video like this and removes the propeller effect. Probably already available in the top end video editing suites. Try mounting the camera back so you capture what's happening in the cockpit. You might like to look at http://users.adam.com.au/kleb/welcome.html scroll down for the links to some of my videos as an example. (The Gawler link is busted). Thanks for the upload, I enjoyed it.

Having landed at Coffs a few times, it looked just like the real thing!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

You wouldn't have been flying one of those Air Ambulances I always find myself gawking at would you?? 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif I always watch them taxiing past or doing their nice noisy startup and wonder why I'm not going into a career in aviation (Money mainly...)

@J170 Owner - I know there is a camera to buy that does away with the whole prop effect, not cheap though... Software would be nice though! This time I mounted the camera on the dash right at the front, next time I'll try put it back a bit further which won't make a whole lot of difference but it would be better. Not many places to mount a camera behind the seats in the Foxbat except the aileron control rods (Not a good Idea) but I may give a suction mount on the door a try one day if I can find one!

Guest Howard Hughes
You wouldn't have been flying one of those Air Ambulances I always find myself gawking at would you?? 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif I always watch them taxiing past or doing their nice noisy startup and wonder why I'm not going into a career in aviation (Money mainly...)

That could have been me, although I normlly seem to be there at night!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

@J170 Owner - I know there is a camera to buy that does away with the whole prop effect, not cheap though... Software would be nice though! This time I mounted the camera on the dash right at the front, next time I'll try put it back a bit further which won't make a whole lot of difference but it would be better. Not many places to mount a camera behind the seats in the Foxbat except the aileron control rods (Not a good Idea) but I may give a suction mount on the door a try one day if I can find one!

Hi. I ended up making a wooden stand that sits behind the seats in the Jabiru. My camera is a Contour HD. My Panasonic HD video was not too good for flying videos.

Thanks Jake, i enjoyed that. and rotax have engine rpm but prop rpm is determined by gearbox and prop set up, do they have variable prop pitch. It appears to have good climb rate.

I dont think it will be too long before seeing more vidoes used for flight training.