Your Own Airstrip

For a while now we have been dreaming about that block of dirt on which we can build our own airstrip, store our planes and indulge in flying when it suits us. I know people who do have their airstrip, be it on small acreage, part of a farming enterprise or in an air park.

Recently discovered you can search keywords in the description on realestate.com.au. I tried "airstrip" "plane" "pilot" (and variants) and came up with a collection of ready-made or potential sites.

In Qld there is no systematic approach - each Council has its own approach - some want zoning & planning approval, some don't want to know.

What is your experience with finding land, getting an airstrip approved / established, landing / takeoff & circuit issues, Council etc.

Sue

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a while now we have been dreaming about that block of dirt on which we can build our own airstrip, store our planes and indulge in flying when it suits us. I know people who do have their airstrip, be it on small acreage, part of a farming enterprise or in an air park.

Recently discovered you can search keywords in the description on realestate.com.au. I tried "airstrip" "plane" "pilot" (and variants) and came up with a collection of ready-made or potential sites.

In Qld there is no systematic approach - each Council has its own approach - some want zoning & planning approval, some don't want to know.

What is your experience with finding land, getting an airstrip approved / established, landing / takeoff & circuit issues, Council etc.

Sue

Make sure the neighbours are ok with it, explain the situation, explain its not going to be noisy, that the circuit pattern will be over your property as much as possible and away from houses; offer them a flight a couple times a year, a bottle or 3 of wine each xmas and all will be well on that front (hopefully)... I dont believe youd need to contact the council about any approvals unless you actually intend to build something like a hangar... (machinery shed on the farm? no worries)... If its dirt or grass strip, you haven't technically built anything...I havent done anything like it yet, but its on the cards for maybe 40 years in the future...

Hi ignition, we have a block just out of Bundaberg Qld and plan to put in a grass strip. Hangar will also be a farm shed!

The block is scrubby regrowth and we have council approval to re clear but intend to just clear a strip we call a fire break.

Cheers

• Like 1

LOL I did just Google it.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

I did too and there seemed to be a special focus on Brazillian landing strips.

However, I came across an interesting link about the worst 7 landing strips: http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/adventure/news-seven-scariest-landing-strips-earth

I did too and there seemed to be a special focus on Brazillian landing strips.However, I came across an interesting link about the worst 7 landing strips: http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/adventure/news-seven-scariest-landing-strips-earth

Hell 80K, that ain't scary! You wanna talk scary - bad - horrible - worst landing strips (??) talk about my ex-wife (and she ain't even Brazilian!) Back under my rock.

• Like 1

While looking for some other things I came across these articles which illustrate some of the problems of airstrips on private property - particularly Council approval and neighbours.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/21/why-council-went-to-court-over-an-airstrip/

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/31/airstrip-owner-answers/

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2010/03/12/airstrip-operation-has-town-school-in-a-flap/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-03-11/row-brews-over-airstrip-rejection/359296

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-12-07/council-rejects-airstrip-expansion-plan/2147992

Also came across this Planning Inquiry for a wind farm. Several wind turbines were planned for the splay area of a farm airstrip used for aerial spraying for that property and others. There is plenty of interesting discussion about airstrips, the effect of wind turbines on aerial spraying and general flying. The report - Stockyard Hill Wind Farm (PCI) [2010] PPV 84 (30 August 2010) says this:

The onus rests with the owner to construct an airstrip in a location that can retain its suitability for use as a place for taking off and the landing of aeroplanes irrespective of what may occur on adjoining land. A landowner who constructs an airstrip close to adjoining land cannot necessarily expect to constrain the future use of that land in order to protect the usability of that airstrip.

These turbines are up to 132m high. If you constructed your airstrip 20 years ago you would have planned for the neighbours perhaps building a hay shed or planting trees - but not this!

As for insurance - farm properties can nominate the airstrip along with grids on the council's roads etc as risks under their Public Liability insurance.

So much to think about.

Sue

• Like 1

While looking for some other things I came across these articles which illustrate some of the problems of airstrips on private property - particularly Council approval and neighbours.http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/21/why-council-went-to-court-over-an-airstrip/

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/31/airstrip-owner-answers/

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2010/03/12/airstrip-operation-has-town-school-in-a-flap/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-03-11/row-brews-over-airstrip-rejection/359296

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-12-07/council-rejects-airstrip-expansion-plan/2147992

Also came across this Planning Inquiry for a wind farm. Several wind turbines were planned for the splay area of a farm airstrip used for aerial spraying for that property and others. There is plenty of interesting discussion about airstrips, the effect of wind turbines on aerial spraying and general flying. The report - Stockyard Hill Wind Farm (PCI) [2010] PPV 84 (30 August 2010) says this:

The onus rests with the owner to construct an airstrip in a location that can retain its suitability for use as a place for taking off and the landing of aeroplanes irrespective of what may occur on adjoining land. A landowner who constructs an airstrip close to adjoining land cannot necessarily expect to constrain the future use of that land in order to protect the usability of that airstrip.

These turbines are up to 132m high. If you constructed your airstrip 20 years ago you would have planned for the neighbours perhaps building a hay shed or planting trees - but not this!

As for insurance - farm properties can nominate the airstrip along with grids on the council's roads etc as risks under their Public Liability insurance.

So much to think about.

Sue

I read most of the stories.All I can say to the so called councils and neighbours is "GET A LIFE". This is typical BS, tall poppy syndrome that happens in this country.Eg- I dont own a aeroplane so why should my neighbour be able to have one and land on HIS property.I cant see noise as being a problem.Especially with modern Rotax or Jabiru 4 stroke powered engines.

Most HarleyDavidson motorbikes are way louder than Piston aircraft.Well the ones around the Gold Coast where I live are very loud.

• Like 1

Good on yer Dazza

What about the good old Auzzie thing where somethings been there for years suddenly new neibours or a new house appears next door and they seem to have the right to have it shut down !!!!

• Like 1

I believe in democracy and I agree that everyone has rights, however, I also believe that the rights of one person or even several should not outweigh the rights of the rest of the people, who are the majority.

What I believe is happening in our democracy, is, there is far too much time, effort and money being wasted on a minority of society,rather than supporting the majority.

It`s a shame and I believe wrong, that one or even several people who are opposed to something, can put a complaint to a council, or any other governing body, and that complaint will carry far more weight than the fact that the rest of the people are not complaining.

Frank.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I believe in democracy and I agree that everyone has rights, however, I also believe that the rights of one person or even several should not outweigh the rights of the rest of the people, who are the majority.What I believe is happening in our democracy, is, there is far too much time, effort and money being wasted on a minority of society,rather than supporting the majority.

It`s a shame and I believe wrong, that one or even several people who are opposed to something, can put a complaint to a council, or any other governing body, and that complaint will carry far more weight than the fact that the rest of the people are not complaining.

Frank.

Well said Frank.

• Like 1

Back to the articles. I think that if the airstrip owner doesn't thumb his nose at council, and regardless of what the local laws may be, goes and gets every type of permit, and takes the council guys for a spin, he will be better off.

Those articles are mainly about permits and paperwork, and that is an easy issue to fix. Get all the potential paperwork and a happy council on your side, and the immediate neighbours, and there will be no problem.

It's not just tall poppy syndrome, on the other side the articles seem to show an attitude of "to hell with rules". Easily avoided.

Mainly take locals for a ride, I have never met anyone who didn't want a ride.

What I believe is happening in our democracy, is, there is far too much time, effort and money being wasted on a minority of society,rather than supporting the majority.

Frank.

Unfortunately, in the past two decades or so, there is an increasing trend this way. In my opinion this is because an "industry" has arisen around those who oppose anything (often worthwhile things). This leads to lawyers, environmental scientists and a whole raft of people making a quid out of opposing developments, large or small. The worst aspect of all this is that the silent majority, who are happy with the new proposal -and therefore do not need to make themselves heard- are not listened to. Instead, the small but vocal minority are listened to.

It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog ...not a democracy at all.

Also came across this Planning Inquiry for a wind farm. Several wind turbines were planned for the splay area of a farm airstrip used for aerial spraying for that property and others. There is plenty of interesting discussion about airstrips, the effect of wind turbines on aerial spraying and general flying.

I wonder how many people realise that windfarms affect the local climate? When there is enough of them for an area downstream the rainfall is typically reduced due to greater air turbulence. One would think this is more of a worry than the noise from an occasional aircraft.

My knowledge of meteorology is limited to what I studied as a PPL. Having said that I cannot see how wind farm turbulence could affect precipitation downstream. In the meantime, I shall treat my brain as a sponge ready to soak up any reasonable explanation as to how this could be happening. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

We bought our farm 2 years ago about 18 months ago while having a dozer on the place doing some work I had him put in 2 strips about 400 mtrs long each...basically just levelled the ground. I have a neighbour to the south who is inline with the main runway but far enough away as not to fly directly over the house with a slight turn after takeoff although this is a north south runway...I do have SE/NW runway so takeoffs are best done on that one when the wind is coming from there. My neighbour hasn't complained...yet....but I don't expect any issues...another neighbour to my east wanted to know if his mate could land on my strips I said yes of course but he has a Jab so not sure if the strips are big enough for him

I didn't get council approvals or anything and have had council inspectors at the farm for some approvals for things we have done and they never had any issues with them...this is the Bundaberg council.

I will be putting up a big work shed come hangar about 24mtrs x 10 or 12 mtrs wide this will double as a workshop and also hangar this will be put up with approvals as not to anger anyone although I am told that you can literally put up anything you like without approvals provided it is more than 200 mtrs from any boundary. I haven't tested this but my shed will be only about 10 mtrs from my northern boundary.

I have a powerline at the southern end of both strips I got Ergon to install red balls on it..that was expensive but I could not forgive myself if anyone hit it while landing at my strip

Mark

DSC_2295_1.thumb.jpg.033e36ecaa4fbe38fc19bd61fcb6579d.jpg

DSC_2303_1.thumb.jpg.bb8cc5dbdf1fb87ef7acb06aaa0c9ba0.jpg

DSC_2304_1.thumb.jpg.971acaa35fef798d44634b28c37446f5.jpg

DSC_2796_1.thumb.jpg.b8877567dd6627d1fd359bb4b0c43ee9.jpg

DSC_2800_1.thumb.jpg.10f05f8cd47ef8516fba18289d8a857f.jpg

DSC_3845_1.thumb.jpg.59605c5daf204954d4345daa349c5585.jpg

DSC_3847_1.thumb.jpg.b31c9cedd4d4e727c01a4eb043feb5a1.jpg

DSC_2311_1.thumb.jpg.08c88f2862d80cfa00a3c19e6eaaa30e.jpg

DSC_2317_1.thumb.jpg.e857ec5020b819a5af9cd8b9f4ddafe2.jpg

• Like 2

So where do you stand insurance wise with these sort of strips? Is your plane still covered against public liabilty?

.......As for insurance - farm properties can nominate the airstrip along with grids on the council's roads etc as risks under their Public Liability insurance.

As long as the landing strip meets the Aeroplane landing Area guideline dimensions (published by CASA) for the performance of the aircraft you intend to use, there is no impact on any insurance, however, if you cannot meet those ALA guidelines in every respect for the aircraft you intend to use, you would either need to have that landing strip specifically covered in the policy or an insurance claim resulting from a landing or taking off incident may be declined by the insurer.

One way strips are usually not covered in your insurance because they cannot meet the ALA guidelines and there is no opportunity to 'go around' on a one way strip.

There is no requirement in NSW and to my knowledge Vic or Qld to gain Council approval to 'put in' a private landing strip, in fact a landing strip is usually smoothing of a paddock and as such is not a construction (you don't need council approval to plough your paddock either). In many rural jurisdictions there is no approval required for a farm shed either. Of course in the same manner if an obstruction is built on your neighbour's property there is bugger all you can do about it in the same manner there is bugger all he can do about your airstrip. It pays to develop a very good relationship with your neighbour.

The proviso is that the landing strip is used for private purposes including visitors arriving and departing and including an invite to a private 'fly in' in the same manner as numbers of cars arriving at a private 'drive in' party.. However, start a commercial operation from your private landing strip (not including flying in and out to and from jobs or work) and the approval list starts.

Of course non of this should discourage contacting and adopting a fly neighbourly policy in the same manner you would NOT start your V8 hoon car and scream down the country road at 4-00am past the neighbour's house and really piss then off.

• Like 2

We bought our farm 2 years ago about 18 months ago while having a dozer on the place doing some work I had him put in 2 strips about 400 mtrs long each...basically just levelled the ground. I have a neighbour to the south who is inline with the main runway but far enough away as not to fly directly over the house with a slight turn after takeoff although this is a north south runway...I do have SE/NW runway so takeoffs are best done on that one when the wind is coming from there. My neighbour hasn't complained...yet....but I don't expect any issues...another neibour to my east wanted to know if his mate could land on my strips I said yes of course but he has a Jab so not sure if the stops are big enough for homI didn't get council approvals or anything and have had council inspectors at the farm for some approvals for things we have done and they never had any issues with them...this is the Bundaberg council.

I will be putting up a big work shed come hangar about 24mtrs x 10 or 12 mtrs wide this will double as a workshop and also hangar this will be put up with approvals as not to anger anyone although I am told that you can literally put up anything you like with approvals provided it is more than 200 mtrs from any boundary. I haven't tested this but my shed will be only about 10 mtrs from my northern boundary.

I have a powerline at the southern end of both strips I got Ergon to install red balls on it..that was expensive but I could not forgive myself if anyone hit it while landing at my strip

Mark

I reckon the Thruster and Lightwing would be exquisitely happy on your choice bit of greenery (might have to do a repower on the Hummelbird tho) and I'm ten shades of green with envy. Lovely looking setup so keep those neighbours on side. Well done old son.