Your Own Airstrip

It' funny how sometimes those pesky trees just seem to die, like the one on the neighbours property but close to our boundary - I put it down to borers:augie:Pud

I have heard of two or three types of borers (B & D, Skill and Makita borers) The funny thing is, when people try to treat these borers with Round Up, the effect is that it tends to kill the tree over a month or so. Even more unusual is that this kind of borer invation only occurs to 'problem' trees (trees on a boundary, in the way of a nice view, threatening to fall on a house or garage, uplifiting a concrete driveway and near the end of a private strip). Other trees never seem to be under such an attack and never seem to wither away this way. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of two or three types of borers (B & D, Skill and Makita borers) The funny thing is, when people try to treat these borers with Round Up, the effect is that it tends to kill the tree over a month or so. Even more unusual is that this kind of borer invation only occurs to 'problem' trees (trees on a boundary, in the way of a nice view, threatening to fall on a house or garage, uplifiting a concrete driveway and near the end of a private strip). Other trees never seem to be under such an attack and never seem to wither away this way. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Couldn't have put it better myself eightyknots. The treatment also works very efficiently if you fill a couple of bottles with the mixture, expose some large roots and feed into the bottle. Cover over and let the treatment work it's magic.

Pud

• Like 1

Couldn't have put it better myself eightyknots. The treatment also works very efficiently if you fill a couple of bottles with the mixture, expose some large roots and feed into the bottle. Cover over and let the treatment work it's magic.Pud

bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gifbounce.gif.1ff37f7384330975bf7be7976b8a6718.gif

I have have seen on TV a few times where, people have tried to get permission from council or who ever to cut down trees beside houses etc.They have been knocked back by the council/who ever, because of some BS excuse.Then the tree has came down in a storm and smashed into a house. I dont get that stuff. Blind freddy could see that the tree or trees are in a potentially dangerous place where they can come down or have their Big dead tree branches falling down and killing someone etc.IMO dont tell anybody anything, just cut it down.

Then send a photo of the tree to Bob Brown.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

PS- I do like trees, I plant them.I just do like ones in dangerous places.Come to think of it.The trees at the end of 22 at Boonah are getting realy tall.They could do with a trim, down to ground level. Now where did I put my Husqvarna Chainsaw.

Well and interesting offshoot to the topic one I know a extreme amount after just finalising the process. So as well as my orange power line balls I can tell you a story about trees and vegetation maps.

When we bought our farm the DERM vegetation map showed our complete property in white which means we can do anything we like to do with trees...burn them chop them climb them it didn't matter. We got the property 7/01/10 when I had the dozer coming I thought I would just better check the map because the guy next door had been fined $25000 for clearing his paddock and has to plant 1000 trees back there...well after much mucking around on the net low and behold we now had untouchable areas on the farm. No notification from anyone about this change...no letter, no email no nothing. DERM can apparently do this at their whim. Would you like to know how they determine this?....... some DH sits at his computer and looks at satellite photos and draws crap on the screen without knowing what type of tree/vegetation is there other than what he can see in the photo. I will upload the actual photo they used for my place to show how ridiculous this is. I have a friend who happens to be a security guard at the DERM (or should I say GERM building in Brisbane) he gave me the name of someone up the ladder to talk to.

After much "heated" discussion with the guy about their stupid methods I talked some sense into him and I had to get google maps I got their actual map after twisting his arm wrote 2 page letter etc to put my case forward. Then about 3 weeks later I got a letter back saying they had received my letter and someone would get back to me. Two weeks later the local Bundaberg guy rang me and after making my position known in no uncertain terms we came to a agreement to get rid of pretty much all of their stupid markings on my land by both of us looking at their satellite map. I don't mind the creek area being locked out as I would never touch that area as it is a proper ecosystem and I would always want it there. The rest was crap. This is how stupid they are they didn't even lock out the whole creek on their original map as you can see...I said you can lock out the whole creek I was ok with that but I wanted everything else to go to white. He agreed then sent me a proposed new map which I was fine with so then had to write a check for $314.10 to "lock it in". This means they can not change anything. Most people do not know any of this procedure and this is how they get canght.

DERM regularly get satellite images and compare them with computers to see if there are changes this is how they find out you have cut trees down and of course they could have changed the status of you land without telling you so then you are in court and they make a crap load of money out of you for nothing...this happens every single day to heaps of people and it is NOT fair

When I got the map when I was getting the dozer in I worked out off google what trees were not in their coloured sections as they needed to be removed for my sewerage system and house site. You can see on the attached pic where I removed the trees BEFORE I got all this locking in done so they couldn't fine me. You can see the bare spot of the trees I pulled out just above the property number halfway to the northern boundary. The airstrips can just be seen at the far right side you can see the scarf marks on the land the strips were growing grass back on them so hard to see and the dam we put in just to the right and above there property number it was about half full when this image was taken This whole exercise was a real eye opener for me so now I treat all councils and government departments like the "X Files"..TRUST NO ONE !!!!!!!

Mark

52SP192353_1.thumb.jpg.9a4f8de3be7e5fe1d10af27926f29125.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Pud

I was lucky google had updated the area around my farm to pretty much the month before we bought it previous maps were 2003 but then google updated the pics Nov 2009 when there was still drought I was able to print those and work it all from that it took about an hour to collate and measure etc then I used coloured markers on the pictures from google I printed to make my case. I was really pissed off when they said they didn't have to notify anyone that they changed the status of your land...The guy next door to me he has about 200 acres and he cleared one of his paddocks about 30 acres for his cattle he wanted to plant grass so he cleared it...well they fined him $25000 and he is supposed to replant 100 trees....they didn't tell him they changed the status he took it to court and lost. The only way is to check your current status then argue and fight and then "LOCK IT IN" pay the fee then they can not touch it anymore but not a lot of people know about this.

You should see the fees and charges if you want to clear anything and the forms etc its just such a bloody scam its not funny. DERM is a Qld government body not sure what the same is in WA

I am NOT a greenie tree hugger at all but we need trees and vegetation and ecosystems because if we don't everything will eventually die and we must feather our nests and look after them but there has to be some common sense applied to it....there's that word that seems to get lost now days COMMON SENSE

Mark

1548644103_ScreenShot2012-02-13at8_09_20PM.thumb.jpg.065298013d96518bfecc835f27d5c2ae.jpg

• 5 years later...

I didn't notify anybody when I made a "strip" by driving the boomspray with glyphosate up and down. And I made a mistake by having the shearing-shed in line with the strip. Bugger, some trees will have to go to angle the strip to avoid that shed.