Single seater fatal near Murray Bridge

Pitts S-2S practicing for an aerobatic contest.

Correct, pilot is well know to community and was practicing in his pitts for the up coming nationals at Murray Bridge. Very sad time for his family. It is believed that there was some type of issue with either the CSU unit or the prop. Not confirmed.

• Like 1

I should add: a highly modified S-2S and the info about practicing for a contest is probably assumed with the Victorian Aerobatic Championships in a few weeks and S.A. Championships in April.

Guest SAJabiruflyer
This report would seem to explain: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/01/death-crash-pilot-not-fully-trained.htmlI note that the photo indicated (my opinion only) impact consistent with an upright flat spin.

With all respect to your post, and full respect to the experience you have in the aero field, that article is showing only one person's opinion. Here's another

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/one-killed-in-plane-crash-near-murray-bridge/story-e6frea83-1226256455890

A forum member here knew Rob personally and is quite distressed to see reports about his lack of skills and/or training. It's also perhaps, in my opinion, not smart of Mr Bennett to make public comments such as in the article - he would be better speaking direct to the ATSB.

I think the smart thing to do is to wait for the "Air Transport Safety Board" (sic) to investigate and report. We might be waiting forever unless the Australian Transport Safety Bureau does the investigation instead...

My comments are my own, you might disagree, as is your right. I have an opinion and I expressed it.

Safe flying everyone :)

I was at Murray bridge today as is my habit on Monday's and the mood around the airfield was very sombre. I didn't know rob personally but I did know his dad and I Have spoken with him on the radio. He seemed to be a very nice guy and it's very sad when someone that young dies.

The 2 guys watching when the accident happened are both very experienced pilots and the truth about what happened will definitely come out eventually.

• Like 3

Seen Rob fly many times, he practised at Murray Bridge a lot and was a very good pilot from what I could see. Now I wish I had spoken to him.... this is real sad.

There is so much wrong with that brief ABC report - which unfortunately seems a rather common occurence for them.

Guest pookemon
This report would seem to explain: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/01/death-crash-pilot-not-fully-trained.htmlI note that the photo indicated (my opinion only) impact consistent with an upright flat spin.

Looking at the photo, and reading the article on the AdelaideNow site posted by SAJabiruflyer, I think it indicates what was "reported by a witness" (which knowing the media could be entirely fictional) that it didn't pull up from a dive. The nose is fairly well buried in the dirt.

A very sad occurrence - and SAJabiruflyer's comments about Mr Bennett's remarks are entirely correct. I wonder what he'll say if it's found the aircraft didn't pull up because of a mechanical issue? Particularly given he helped assemble the aircraft.

It will be very interesting to see the outcome of the ATSB's investigation.

It may not reach a valid conclusion. There are no recording devices and it is hard to determine whether damage is pre or post impact. In these circumstances sometimes a finding can leave cause for disputation.

Some of the comments are inappropriate and not fair . Till you know you should not judge. Pilots tend to be hard on each other and the general public swallow the usual Pilot error thing quite easily, and the term can really be quite meaningless. Nev

• Like 2

Understood Nev but I think in this case we may well get a definitive answer. From what I've heard from people that probably know what happened I think it'll be pretty obvious what happened. Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later but these things tend to take time.

It's also perhaps, in my opinion, not smart of Mr Bennett to make public comments such as in the article..

Agreed and sorry to say, that apart from harsh and insensitive, the comments as quoted don't appear to make much sense.
  • Like 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Mr Bennett's comments certainly seem "quite strange". The article below certainly sheds some more light and in particular gives an idea of where such comments might reflect on the man making them rather than the man commented on..

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/news/local/news/general/comments-lead-to-dog-fight-over-airmans-death/2441501.aspx

And just in case it's not a permalink

--

Comments lead to dog fight over airman's death

BY JOANNE FOSDIKE

02 Feb, 2012 10:14 AM

FRIENDS and mentors of the pilot who died on Sunday have defended his reputation following comments in the national media by former Australian Aerobatic Club president Paul Bennet.

They said Mr Bennet had painted the pilot as lacking the experience necessary to fly the biplane which crashed near Pallamana airfield.

Long-time friend and chief pilot Captain Chris Pfitzner said the pilot, 33-year-old Rob Morgan, lived on site at Pallamana Airfield and had clocked up 150 hours of aerobatic flying hours in the past two years while being mentored.

“This is aerobatic flight hours alone and doesn’t include regular flying hours,” he said.

“He had between 90 and 100 hours in the last couple of months, flying in the plane he died in.

“He lived and breathed flying.”

Mr Pfitzner said Mr Bennet’s claims that Rob Morgan was too inexperienced to be flying the highly modified biplane that claimed his life were wrong.

“The claims by Bennet were inaccurate,” he said.

“He died doing a manoeuvre he was well trained to do.

“It is vicious and reeks of malice to comment on another pilot’s accident without even witnessing the event.

“I’ve been flying for 25 years and have watched him (Rob) come through the ranks.

“He was a cool, calculated pilot who understood machines ... he asked the stupid questions other people try to ignore.”

Paul Bennet stood by his claims after being contacted by The Standard on Tuesday.

“He had less than 100 hours experience,” he said.

“There are people out there trying to protect their own interest.”

Mr Bennet denied his comments were malicious despite a disagreement with Mr Morgan which resulted in a court case.

“He never paid for work I did on the plane he died in,” he said.

“It was settled out of court.

“The last thing I want to see is anyone getting killed ... I want to promote safety.

“For someone to get a low level aerobatic approval when they had only been doing it for 12 months is ridiculous.”

Mr Pfitzner said Mr Morgan grew up in an aviation family and began flying about six years ago.

“He bought his own aircraft, a 172 Cessna, about four years ago,” he said.

“He started doing acrobatics just over 12 months ago and had good mentors, a good aircraft and he was careful.

“The aircraft (Pitts Special) was purpose built for aerobatics and he was training up as an airshow pilot.”

Mr Pfitzner said he believed the accident could have been caused by instrument error.

“The plane had the power to get out of situation so it had to be an instrument or engine failure,” he said.

“I had seen him power out in situations and you could see he was a well trained pilot.”

Mr Bennett's comments certainly seem "quite strange". The article below certainly sheds some more light and in particular gives an idea of where such comments might reflect on the man making them rather than the man commented on..http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/news/local/news/general/comments-lead-to-dog-fight-over-airmans-death/2441501.aspx

And just in case it's not a permalink

--

Comments lead to dog fight over airman's death

BY JOANNE FOSDIKE

02 Feb, 2012 10:14 AM

FRIENDS and mentors of the pilot who died on Sunday have defended his reputation following comments in the national media by former Australian Aerobatic Club president Paul Bennet.

They said Mr Bennet had painted the pilot as lacking the experience necessary to fly the biplane which crashed near Pallamana airfield.

Long-time friend and chief pilot Captain Chris Pfitzner said the pilot, 33-year-old Rob Morgan, lived on site at Pallamana Airfield and had clocked up 150 hours of aerobatic flying hours in the past two years while being mentored.

“This is aerobatic flight hours alone and doesn’t include regular flying hours,” he said.

“He had between 90 and 100 hours in the last couple of months, flying in the plane he died in.

“He lived and breathed flying.”

Mr Pfitzner said Mr Bennet’s claims that Rob Morgan was too inexperienced to be flying the highly modified biplane that claimed his life were wrong.

“The claims by Bennet were inaccurate,” he said.

“He died doing a manoeuvre he was well trained to do.

“It is vicious and reeks of malice to comment on another pilot’s accident without even witnessing the event.

“I’ve been flying for 25 years and have watched him (Rob) come through the ranks.

“He was a cool, calculated pilot who understood machines ... he asked the stupid questions other people try to ignore.”

Paul Bennet stood by his claims after being contacted by The Standard on Tuesday.

“He had less than 100 hours experience,” he said.

“There are people out there trying to protect their own interest.”

Mr Bennet denied his comments were malicious despite a disagreement with Mr Morgan which resulted in a court case.

“He never paid for work I did on the plane he died in,” he said.

“It was settled out of court.

“The last thing I want to see is anyone getting killed ... I want to promote safety.

“For someone to get a low level aerobatic approval when they had only been doing it for 12 months is ridiculous.”

Mr Pfitzner said Mr Morgan grew up in an aviation family and began flying about six years ago.

“He bought his own aircraft, a 172 Cessna, about four years ago,” he said.

“He started doing acrobatics just over 12 months ago and had good mentors, a good aircraft and he was careful.

“The aircraft (Pitts Special) was purpose built for aerobatics and he was training up as an airshow pilot.”

Mr Pfitzner said he believed the accident could have been caused by instrument error.

“The plane had the power to get out of situation so it had to be an instrument or engine failure,” he said.

“I had seen him power out in situations and you could see he was a well trained pilot.”

It distresses me immensely to see a pilot such as Rob discussed in such a way, it really is so disrespectful to a man who was clearly a passionate aviator, supporter/mentor to those who wished to embark on an aerobatics endeavor. Paul Bennet's comments have either been taken out of context by the media, or he clearly has no idea of the training that Rob had embarked on over the last 2 years. I sincerely hope that the ATSB findings will bring peace and closure to the family and friends of Rob Morgan.

RIP Rob

Will the ATSB actually investigate (despite what the media says)? As a general rule they don't investigate accidents which occur as a result of inherently "high risk" activities such as aerobatic flight.

• 2 weeks later...
It distresses me immensely to see a pilot such as Rob discussed in such a way, it really is so disrespectful to a man who was clearly a passionate aviator, supporter/mentor to those who wished to embark on an aerobatics endeavor. Paul Bennet's comments have either been taken out of context by the media, or he clearly has no idea of the training that Rob had embarked on over the last 2 years. I sincerely hope that the ATSB findings will bring peace and closure to the family and friends of Rob Morgan.RIP Rob

I agree 100% with you here... Comments like that, irrespective of history between them, is abhorrent..

• Like 1