Savannah for a newbie???

Rumby

Hi everyone,

I have only posted on these forums a couple of times but they are such a great source of info, so I have a few questions about the Savannah:. Having spent my flying time in drifters and a sportstar, I have determined that low n slow is my style of flying. I cannot see myself doing long distance trips but it is reassuring to know that the Savannah is capable of this if required.

1) How achieveable are they to complete for the first time builder? From everything I have read they appear to be a straightforward kit, however I still ask as the last thing I would want is to get 'bogged down' with the build and feel that it cannot be completed. I look forward to building and love to learn but it must still be achieveable for the first timer.

2) What tools are required? Do any tool companies supply tool kits for the Savannah? So far I have been unable to locate a list of required tools.

3) Which is the best company in Australia to deal with for the kit? It appears both outback aircraft and aerokits are authorised dealers for the Savannah.

Any other info that builders and flyers can provide me with about this cool airplane would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Rumby

• Like 1

Outback is the importer, Aerokits is one of his agents. Deal with an agent that gives good build support because you won't get much assistance from Outback. Some tools (pneumatic rivet gun and some clecos)are in the kit, other special tools are available readily but if you kid to some of the forumites they might lend you ones to save you buying them, if they have finished with them.

Hi Rumby

As you maybe aware I have a build blog here for the XL I am currently building. No special tools are required really just battery drill and good drill bits although not hardly any drilling is to be done but you WILL need to drill out some rivets etc...you will need lock wire pliers they are cheap and a few other things but basically everything you require is supplied in the kit except the paint and the radio. Its easy to build it is a 700 part 14000 rivet mechano set ...oh need to get another air rivet gun...just 68 bucks at trade tools you set 1 up for 1/8 rivets and the other for 5/32 rivets.

Talk to Reg Brost he is the dealer for this area and is the most experienced guy with Savannahs in Australia he has built heaps for people. Outback aircraft is the importer he has a dealer network and Reg is the best with the most experience he is also a LAME. By the way where are you situated there are quite a few being built so I am sure you can find someone to go and have a look at one being built.

As far as skill level is concerned really so long as you can read , be able to look at drawings and pictures and comprehend italio english and are reasonably ok with your hands then you are sweet...if you have any problems there are heaps of us around to talk you through it anyway

Mark

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Great to know who the good agents are for further info. I am located in SE QLD so if their are any builders / flyers in this area who would be willing to show off their pride and joy I would be most greatful!

Hi Rumby

The are 4 being built within 10k of me...mine is basically being painted now I am at burpengary, Steve Donald/s is at the hangar ready for inspection this week, Mark Grays is finishing his wings he has the fuselage completed and John Scott is building his fuselage and almost finished it he is at Beerwah. Give me a ring if you like 0408724272 you are welcome to come and have a look and a chat

Mark

• Like 1

Rumby, drop down to Caboolture any weekend and I'd be glad to intro you to many owners and as Mark said, there are heaps of quality builds underway- mine is the orange one called 'Jaffa" factory built but identical in most ways to the kit.

Reg , as mentioned is the definitive source at Aerokits.

Thanks so much everyone for all the info and support. I am very excited about further investigating the Savannah. Unfortunately I will be tied up / travelling with work in the next few months but will be very keen to take up some of those offers to see the aircraft later on in the year if they still stand!

Thanks again

• 4 months later...
Thanks so much everyone for all the info and support. I am very excited about further investigating the Savannah. Unfortunately I will be tied up / travelling with work in the next few months but will be very keen to take up some of those offers to see the aircraft later on in the year if they still stand!Thanks again

Rumby, are you any closer to starting your Savannah?

Are you suffering withdrawal symptoms Hank?....you need another Sav build to keep the interest going?

I have 7.42 hrs on mine now weather has been crap here and I only really fly when the weather is good while I get used to her and get my hours up but I am loving it so far..cant wait until the 25hrs is done then I can start my cross country endorsement in my own aircraft which of course is much cheaper and I am more familiar with the aircraft I am doing it in

Mark

Are you suffering withdrawal symptoms Hank?....you need another Sav build to keep the interest going?I have 7.42 hrs on mine now weather has been crap here and I only really fly when the weather is good while I get used to her and get my hours up but I am loving it so far..cant wait until the 25hrs is done then I can start my cross country endorsement in my own aircraft which of course is much cheaper and I am more familiar with the aircraft I am doing it in

Mark

You've read me like a book: I AM suffering withdrawal symptoms from reading the regular fix on Another NEW Savannah XL on its way thread. I am delayed with my project until the finances are right to start my own. Your fantastic thread kept my 'dream' alive over the last year and a half. Who knows, the world financial situation may improve and that will allow me to start a bit sooner. However, it has been a long wait for the 2008 GFC to sort itself out. Now we're halfway into 2012 and the fiscal horizon looks as black as ever, especially in the PIIGS countries (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain). Most investments have gone way-down-low for many people.

But, I am an optimist so I am sure that things will sort out eventually. I'll just have to have a bit more patience. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

We too are experiencing a lot of overcast weather: very low clouds and lots of on-and-off drizzle but kind-of milder than usual with no morning frosts. Certainly no VFR flying weather with the clouds only 200-300 ft AGL. It's great to see yours flying though! Your Savannah would have to be one of the nicest planes in the SEQEB region.

Reg sounds like the best guy to buy a kit from but he's a long way from where i am. Does anyone know if Aerokits has a dealer in South Oz.

Wasn't a problem to Ron Hoey, he got plenty of help along the way with his build!