Microlight First Solo- Student Dices with death...

winsor68

Steve,

It's fine, it was only an assumption that i said about my comment being spamed.

I was not at all concerned about itl and there was no ill feeling from me at all about it.

We had our one on one discussion yesterday in person and I take what you said onboard and hopefully you will also consider what i said to you about various things not only about this particular video.

No ill feelings this end.

Alf

Guest steviebell100
SteveI guess we will just have to agree to disagree, there are a number of times in that video where the aircraft wing is clearly visible and there are no registration markings visible at all. Given that he called Trike 61 on entering the runway perhaps you could clear up what the registration actually was...... and what it is that you teach in a radio call? Is it acceptable for a student to shorten the registration to the point where no one listening can identify the aircraft acurately?

Thre fact that the basebar was indeed bent as I suspected tells me that my original view that he was not at all ready for solo was correct, let alone the 2 major issues on takeoff and landing. If the basebar bent to the point that it needs replacment then are you sure the nylon deflection limit straps are Ok, What does Airborne call for, when a heavy landing that bends the basebar to the point of needing replacment? Im guessing its not just chuck a new base bar on and "she'll be right" ? With the first landing attempt, for just a few seconds I'll bet you had no clue as to whether he had in or not.

Im sure its usual for students to give their FI a heart jumpstart moment or 2 throughout their entire training, but is it normal for you to have 1/2doz or so in a single solo?

Regarding the claim that it was his first solo and first flight of his own aircraft, can you confirm whether that is correct or not please.

I still maintain he is lucky to be alive, and thank god it wasnt a streak wing......

Andy

I will confirm to you again that registration letters are in fact on the wing, this I know as I helped him put them on. Why he didn't call the full number I dont know and I'm not about to assume. I dont teach radio calls I'm not an instructor. I can tell you that around the airport I hear a lot of radio calls, many of which are highly unintelligible and apart from his incomplete registration details his calls were excellent for a student pilot, clear concise and all other aircraft knew what his intentions were.Andy its very easy with the benefit of hindsight for you to say he wasn't ready to solo, lets leave that discussion there, it serves no purpose. I have no idea what Airborne call for after a heavy landing, I am not an instructor or an Airborne representative or Aircraft Mechanic why dont you ask Airborne that question. He has repair work to do and it obviously needs to be inspected carefully and fixed properly, all we know at this stage is that the base bar has been bent. I dont know what "augered" means? if you are asking if we knew if he had crashed or not, we didn't know and our hearts were in our mouths, I sugguest you re-read my comments about first time solo nerves.

I dont like your cynicism or inuendo, and I dont like where you are trying to take the discussion, please keep it constructive. There are some issues that I raised that could generate some positive discussion and benefit those who might be learning to fly, why dont you discuss those things.

Steve

Guest steviebell100
Steve,It's fine, it was only an assumption that i said about my comment being spamed.

I was not at all concerned about itl and there was no ill feeling from me at all about it.

We had our one on one discussion yesterday in person and I take what you said onboard and hopefully you will also consider what i said to you about various things not only about this particular video.

No ill feelings this end.

Alf

Likewise Alf cheers mateSteve

Guest Andys@coffs

Ok Steve, I'll stop being critical and let the conversation focus on the positive things, I wanst there so all I have to go on is the video....and therefore may only have half the story.

I'd be keen to hear of the positives that come out of this video because to be honest there aren' manyt slapping me in the face!!

Andy

Perhaps not direct answers, but , amongst other things, it does show the difficulties instructors face when they send a student solo. Some students will "lose it" and have to get it back all together before they die, because that they surely will do, if they don't . there is really no-one else around to do it. That is the big thing about "first solo".

I touched on the high hours without soloing theme too. The question has to be asked. Why so long? ( I'm not a fan of pushing the pressure to solo thing but when the hours get really high, there has to be a reason.)

The instructor has to make an assessment and only in retrospect will that be shown to be appropriate.

When the instructor gets out...... I always told the pupil repeatedly, that when that happens the plane will be very different. It will accelerate faster , climb better, and stall slower, and slow down quicker, so it is a different aeroplane, and for some of the lighter ones, very much so.

Reading some of the comments of pilots soloing on this forum, it would appear that often they find the change quite remarkable. Were they prepared for it?

I wasn't when I was sent solo. Nothing about that had been mentioned and there was a very significant change of C of G too, involved.

I stay out of comment about handling variables of trikes and leave that to the experts. Nev

Guest steviebell100
Ok Steve, I'll stop being critical and let the conversation focus on the positive things, I wanst there so all I have to go on is the video....and therefore may only have half the story.I'd be keen to hear of the positives that come out of this video because to be honest there aren' manyt slapping me in the face!!

Andy

Andy hopefully the positives are yet to come through some constructive discussion on the some of the issues that student pilots face. Steve

Guest steviebell100
Perhaps not direct answers, but , amongst other things, it does show the difficulties instructors face when they send a student solo. Some students will "lose it" and have to get it back all together before they die, because that they surely will do, if they don't . there is really no-one else around to do it. That is the big thing about "first solo".I touched on the high hours without soloing theme too. The question has to be asked. Why so long? ( I'm not a fan of pushing the pressure to solo thing but when the hours get really high, there has to be a reason.)

The instructor has to make an assessment and only in retrospect will that be shown to be appropriate.

When the instructor gets out...... I always told the pupil repeatedly, that when that happens the plane will be very different. It will accelerate faster , climb better, and stall slower, and slow down quicker, so it is a different aeroplane, and for some of the lighter ones, very much so.

Reading some of the comments of pilots soloing on this forum, it would appear that often they find the change quite remarkable. Were they prepared for it?

I wasn't when I was sent solo. Nothing about that had been mentioned and there was a very significant change of C of G too, involved.

I stay out of comment about handling variables of trikes and leave that to the experts. Nev

Nev

I cant answer the hours question as I am not privy to instructor and student conversations and I dont think we should be going there, I certainly wouldn't like the decision making responsibility that instructors have and I have enormous respect for them and the responsibility they carry. I guess if it was me I would err on the side of caution. Your comments about the differences in handling characteristics are entirely relevant, especially with a slow wing like the Wizard. Steve

Guest davidh10
...What does Airborne call for, when a heavy landing that bends the basebar to the point of needing replacment? Im guessing its not just chuck a new base bar on and "she'll be right" ? ...

Inspection after a heavy landing is detailed in the Aircraft's Manual, which can be downloaded from the Airborne web site. The Parts Manual contains drawings that depict the various assemblies. Amongst other things, it includes a very comprehensive inspection for elongated bolt holes and detailed wing structure inspection.

Replacing the Base Bar is not a trivial process and requires a fair amount of disassembly of the trike. I'm aware of a case where someone bought a trike and upon condition inspection, it was discovered that the Base Bar was bent. He chose to send it away to Airborne for them to replace it. Didn't turn out to be such a bargain after all!