water sport flying idiot

hendonguy

Ummm, I wouldnt call him a Idiot.There was no boats or public around.I see him as a pilot on top of him game, if he makes a mistake, he gets wet .Its the same as Greg Miller from Big rocks Long props fame or Cub 749er etc.There are always going to be pilots who call other pilots who are better than them "Cowboys". I dont have a problem with pilots "Picking their Tail up turning on the move etc " .It is not the norm, but IMO they are not Idiots, just better than us.They probably think that we are silly for not pushing the envelope and not developing our own skills. Good video . Sh*t this is going to open up a can of worms.lol

PS- IMO this is different to the Sapphire crash, he involved the general public. In a controlled enviroment, I dont see a problem.What do you guys think?

• Like 1

Ummm, I wouldnt call him a Idiot.There was no boats or public around.I see him as a pilot on top of him game, if he makes a mistake, he gets wet .Its the same as Greg Miller from Big rocks Long props fame or Cub 749er etc.There are always going to be pilots who call other pilots who are better than them "Cowboys". I dont have a problem with pilots "Picking their Tail up turning on the move etc " .It is not the norm, but IMO they are not Idiots, just better than us.They probably think that we are silly for not pushing the envelope and not developing our own skills. Good video . Sh*t this is going to open up a can of worms.lolPS- IMO this is different to the Sapphire crash, he involved the general public. In a controlled enviroment, I dont see a problem.What do you guys think?

No doubt he is skilled... that takes quite a bit of finesse. But everytime I see one of these vids with pilots dipping the rubber in the water I think of Col Pay.

kaz

• Like 1

No doubt he is skilled... that takes quite a bit of finesse. But everytime I see one of these vids with pilots dipping the rubber in the water I think of Col Pay.kaz

I feel bad for his family... Col Paye I believe lived an amazing life. Most of us won't come close even if we live to 140.

No doubt he is skilled... that takes quite a bit of finesse. But everytime I see one of these vids with pilots dipping the rubber in the water I think of Col Pay.kaz[/

From memory Col was testing a new float design that scooped up water for fighting fires. That was a sad day.

It was a sad day, Dazza. He had a small ski/scoop fitted over his wheels so he could land on terra firma and scoop water from a lake to refill his hopper on the go. Even the ski wasn't enough to prevent the gear penetrating the water surface and causing a catastrophic noseover. Makes you wonder about those rubber wheels being relied oupon to tdo the same, doesn't it?

kaz

I own all of Greg Millers Big Rocks long Props videos. He has disclaimers at the start of all his Videos .He probably finds it easier to aquaplane in his Maule and Cub because he runs 35 inch Alaskan Bush wheels. He does explain alot on how he taught himself. He started aquaplaning on very shallow water, so that if he penetrated the water, it doesnt matter as his tyres will run on the sand/gravel. The depth would at a guess be about 100mm. He also says that it is easier to fly upstream than down stream, due to the water flowing towards him.He explains that aquaplaning has nothing to do with airspeed, its to do with ground speed, or a better explaination would be speed the wheels are travelling on top of the water.He used to use a GPS when he was learning to check his ground speed.After a while he got good feel for what was happening in relation to the wheels and water.He also used to load his aircraft with the C of G near the Max aft C of G .It helps to prevent his aircraft from nosing over. Also never touch the brakes while aquaplaning.

Disclaimer- Greg Miller is a professional pilot.Actually he is a fitter and turner or something like that.Anyway, all of above is off the top of my head, from watching his videos.

Aquaplaning is a very very dangerous activity and if you get it wrong ie- To slow and penetrate the water, you could flip, drown , die etc etc .

Hi Alan, I havent checked but I reckon Murwillumba will be unservicable ATM.Maybe Jacobs Well as well.I saw the private field at Southport on the news.There was water over the taxiways.(I just walked in on the very last part of the news story, missed most of what they where saying, dunno if the strip was under or not).

This is a guy in Southern Utah from another forum I'm on, that did a video of himself skiing in a M7 Maule the other day.

By the way, I'm not encouraging people to try it!!

• 3 weeks later...

I`m not sugesting anyone go out and run their aircrafts tyres on the water, leave that to those who know how and can do it.

Years ago I saw a promotional photo for the Chinook WT 2.... The photo was of a Chinook in a steep turn, picking up a handkerchief off the ground, with a hook on the end of the wing..... I can tell you I was impressed and I certainly didn`t think the guy was an idiot, what I did think was, " To do that the Chinook must be a good aircraft and the pilot very skillful ".

I do not believe in stoping others doing something, simply because I can`t do it and I certainly do not accept someone else stoping me doing something I`m capable of and choose to do.

Everyone needs to recognise their own skills and also their own limitations.

Frank.

Ps, Personal opinion!

• Like 3

Dazza, Don`t know about the fun police and I`ve just become aware of that activity today, on this thread. I reckon anyone who can do that and not come unstuck, is in damn good controll and what else is there to say? :peepwall:

I went aquaplaining with the Drifter once but it was a little different. We were flooded in and two thirds of my main strip was under water, but there was enough strip out of water for me to get airborn. I knew my father would like to see the flooded area so I came back down had a good think about it and decided I should just be able to get both of us back up.

I was just about to get airborn when the wheels hit the water on the strip. The drag lifted the tail, the nose pod touched the ground and we went aquaplaining down the strip, with the tail in the air and the nose pod on the water, until we stoped.

No harm was done and yes I can say it was a memorable experience.

Frank.

Judgeing by the weather some of you guys are getting up the North East some of you would be aquaplaning on the runways.Do any of you have flooded airfields?

Alan.

Hey Alan

Interesting you should mention aquaplaning on runways...

I squeeked into Temora one day just in front of a very active CB cell. Got the Auster tied down with some kind help and quickly retired to the clubhouse. It bloody well rained solid water for a while. I was on my way home and decided to make a dash for Yarrawonga enroute to the south.

Lots of water laying on the bitumen!

I managed to get myself totally sideways at about 40 knots when the starboard wheel hit a deeper puddle and thought "this will make an interesting 225..."

Anyway, the rule is when in doubt, pull stick back.

I did so. Auster lifted, bootfull of left rudder to straighten and I flew away as though everything was according to plan. I bet they still talk about me!

kaz

• Like 1

These guys have some very expensive hardware at stake, not to mention minimal chance of surviving if it goes wrong. Not for me, but I wish I had that kind of skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkKP_fDsKc

that is some very impressive flying one could only dream of doing let alone take the risk of such great aircraft,,,,

If they know what they are doing good luck to them.

It's not the same as diving off a mountain and hoping you don't bounce off something before you deploy the chute and thereafter reach the ground.

Those guys are death wish freaks these pilots are aerobatic proponents/ stunt pilots, skilled in their stunt.

You can't tell me that the drunken pilot display is not dangerous look at what happend to Phil U but that's the risks one takes when they have to go that one step further to entertain the crowd.

There are risks in every day activities but most of us assess the risks and if the activity undertaken is within you skill level then the activity for the best part is carried out without an adverse result.

Guest pookemon
If they know what they are doing good luck to them.It's not the same as diving off a mountain and hoping you don't bounce off something before you deploy the chute and thereafter reach the ground.

Those guys are death wish freaks these pilots are aerobatic proponents/ stunt pilots, skilled in their stunt.

You can't tell me that the drunken pilot display is not dangerous look at what happend to Phil U but that's the risks one takes when they have to go that one step further to entertain the crowd.

There are risks in every day activities but most of us assess the risks and if the activity undertaken is within you skill level then the activity for the best part is carried out without an adverse result.

Well, no, they are not "Death Wish Freaks". They are adrenaline junkies. Just like aerobatic pilots, skydivers, scuba divers, racing car drivers, etc. etc. They just find something fun that you (and I) don't. They know the risks, and accept them and manage them as best they can - just like the pilot in the original video for this thread. If they're doing what they are doing having had training, and it's legal, big deal...