Guess The Airstrip

Doug this is the best I can do, probably better to ask Google for an explanation.

An airport is an aerodrome with extended facilities, mostly for commercial air transport.[1][2] Airports often have facilities to store and maintain aircraft, and a control tower. An airport consists of a landing area, which comprises an aerially accessible open space including at least one operationally active surface such as a runway for a plane to take off[3] or a helipad,[4] and often includes adjacent utility buildings such as control towers, hangars[5] and terminals. Larger airports may have fixed-base operator services, airport aprons, taxiway bridges, air traffic control centres, passenger facilities such as restaurants and lounges, and emergency services.

An aerodrome (Commonwealth English) or airdrome (American English) is a location from which aircraft flight operations take place, regardless of whether they involve air cargo, passengers, or neither. Aerodromes include small general aviation airfields, large commercial airports, and military airbases.

The term airport may imply a certain stature (having satisfied certain certification criteria or regulatory requirements) that an aerodrome may not have achieved. This means that all airports are aerodromes, but not all aerodromes are airports. Usage of the term "aerodrome" remains more common in the UK, Ireland and Commonwealth nations; in American English it is only used for a facility specialized in antique or ultralight aircraft.[

• Informative 1

Which gives rise then, to the question why are airfields such as YLIL, YCEM, YBSS, and YBLA, plus dozens of others, without RPT services, control towers, etc., referred to on Google as "airports", not "aerodromes" or "airfields"?

Interesting, but like I said before "Probably better to ask Google for an explanation".

I don't use Google Maps much so can't help.

So long as the strips are where I want, when I want, I don't care much what they refer to them as.

Cheers,

Vince.

• Agree 1

If all 'English' speaking countries stayed with English English, we'd all be better off. Bastardized English will always be a problem.

With a constantly evolving language who's version of English is English. Is it a "vice" or "vyce"? A "gaol" or "jail". The essential engredient of our language is to continue to laugh at the french who are still having problems with "le five o'clock", "le hamburger" or "restrauter".

I have no experience with Apple computers (iPads, et al) so I don't know how they handle spelling. I know they have predictive text and auto correct if turned on. But if you use a Windows PC, any spelling error will be underlined with a wriggly red line. Right click on the word, and the correct spelling, or a set of alternatives will be displayed. Click on the one you want and it will replace the misspelt word. The only words it cannot correct are some brand names and non-English words. You can choose to use UK or US or Australian English as you see fit. A quick proof read before hitting Post Reply will locate any errors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for the heck of it I will post my home base airstrip, it is a 800m farm strip, I wonder how many may have spotted it in their travels. Two clues, strip is located in NSW and is near the coast, I don't really expect too many to know so I'll give more clues and photo if nessecary, enjoy.

IMG_1661.JPG.b733ed70e65f8047952f188dd053565b.JPG

This is a google earth shot, the river in this picture is not the main river as in the second shot, it joins at the top of the shot to the main river. The airstrip is centre of picture.

IMG_1720.jpg.824fe20facf8a8f435b5d3a02f57c3a6.jpg

Here's another photo to give an approximate location, the strip is 10nm SW of here and there is another ALA strip about 1nm west of this location, the location in this photo is well known and is mentioned in radio and TV weather forecasts.

Enjoy !

IMG_1654.JPG.207ead3371cc8bf5c7980598cb497e01.JPG

Here's another photo to give an approximate location, the strip is 10nm SW of here and there is another ALA strip about 1nm west of this location, the location in this photo is well known and is mentioned in radio and TV weather forecasts.Enjoy !

lennox Head