Guess The Airstrip

Hi Big Pete

YTOC can even be recognised on Google Earth.

It made my instructor a bit nervous a couple of years ago with concurrent operations of gliders and tug on left hand circuits and the Jabiru on a right hand circuit on parallel runways, one on grass and the Jab on bitumen.

We left Griffith on a 39 degree C day. We were going YGTH-YTOC-YBLT. Navigation was easy until we crossed the border into Vic then there were just so many roads and towns. That was my first flight into Victoria. I had to learn to ignore the detail and look for the major landmarks - no GPS allowed. I thought I was doing a training flight - my instructor was treating it as a test!

Ballarat also was another RAAF training field and still has the leftovers of a lovely big paddock and a couple of loverly big long strips and a couple of massive hangers to go with them plus plenty of taxying space. It even has a dedicated run up area.

Next day we left Ballarat around mid day after the fog lifted to arrive back in Griffith late afternoon to be greeted by a 45 degree C day.

Regards

Thanks for the pic of Tocumwal BigPete. If all things finally come together with our repairs I'll be dropping in there in a few weeks to visit with Peter Corkery.

If anyone's still wondering, the pics I posted on Aug 11 are of a private strip at Wallsend in Newcastle. (S35 53.2 E151 40.1)

Paul

• 1 month later...
Guest AusDarren

Kooringal..

Its on the south End of Morton Island

27'20" S 153'25"E

you get a real good pic of it in Google Earth..

Regards,

AusDarren

Notice the 2 old hangers to the north of the field? Full of Hawker Hunter jets. About 12 in total last time I peeked through the gap in the doors. I can't be sure but I believe they were purchased from Malaysia after they were de-commissioned.

• 1 month later...

At last, the thread has come to life again .

Hey Pete, I reckon early morning, around 0700 local over top Raywood.

Paul

PS I'm heading over to Toc from Cooma early tomorrow (Tues) for arrival around 0800. What's the smoke haze like over that way? PaulN

G'day Paul

Spot on - (it was, however only 0630) Raywood Gliding Strip

S 36 32.320

E144 14.240

Elevation 450ft

Sorry I didn't get back to you b4 you left for TOC - how was your trip?

regards