Flying in China

icebob

The guy who flies through the feature at the end managed to bounce off terra firma and deploy his chute just a few weeks ago in South Africa, hurt bad but survived.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/9018176/Base-jumper-survives-after-he-crashes-into-face-of-Table-Mountain.html

There were ten BASE fatalities last twelve months. Non fatal rate must be pretty high as well. What you get when pushing the limits further out.

Well in my book they are nothing more than death wish addicts. It doesn't take courage to do what they do it takes just complete stupidity and no respect for human life. Imagine if collided with that crowd of people at the end of the video it would be like a meteor hitting earth he would have possibly killed dozens of people and injured even more.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

After spending some time in the real China (ie I didnt see another white person the entire time I was there) at Xmas time, I think private flying in China would all have be IFR, because you generally cant see much more than 500-1000m due to the pollution. Oh wait, im sorry, the Official Line is it's "Fog" low lying clouds. There Is No Pollution Problem In China.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

..... I think private flying in China would all have be IFR, because you generally cant see much more than 500-1000m due to the pollution.

You mean IFR as shown in the video (ie. I Follow Rocks)? 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

rgmwa

After spending some time in the real China (ie I didnt see another white person the entire time I was there) at Xmas time, I think private flying in China would all have be IFR, because you generally cant see much more than 500-1000m due to the pollution. Oh wait, im sorry, the Official Line is it's "Fog" low lying clouds. There Is No Pollution Problem In China.bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

I agree! I am in China a few times each year, for (non-flying) business - and am yet to experience a proper 'clear' day.. at least in Shanghai and Beijing. However, private flying is really taking off over there (pun intended).. One school has built their own airport with 1500m concrete runway and a mega administration and hanger complex, with control tower. Their first batch of training a/c are Jabiru 160s (21 of them!) - they took delivery late last year. Apparently if you go far enough West you run out of the pea-soup..

Guest SAJabiruflyer
I agree! I am in China a few times each year, for (non-flying) business - and am yet to experience a proper 'clear' day.. at least in Shanghai and Beijing. However, private flying is really taking off over there (pun intended).. One school has built their own airport with 1500m concrete runway and a mega administration and hanger complex, with control tower. Their first batch of training a/c are Jabiru 160s (21 of them!) - they took delivery late last year. Apparently if you go far enough West you run out of the pea-soup..

...and boy is there an untapped market over there.

Is it bad that I have devoured my download watching those two clips??!! Can not get enough.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

My 4 year old girl is calling herself "BatCat"(!), sticking her arms out, and flying around the room trying to 'Hit balloons"!! Looks like the bug has bitten her early.......

The second link is the Table Mountain hit. Hard to see but after the other footage you get the idea.

Apparently, he stuck his feet, spun out about 30 meters, got himself right(!!), depolyed his shute and was lifted out with multiple leg fractures. What else can you say??

Apparently, he stuck his feet, spun out about 30 meters, got himself right(!!), depolyed his shute and was lifted out with multiple leg fractures. What else can you say??

Oh, I can think of a few things. He may have survived this jump, but it's just a matter of time. Still, it's his choice and no doubt he will be remembered as a Utube legend one day. What was it Andy Warhol said? Something about 15 minutes of fame?

This guy was really good too, but he's no longer with us either:

rgmwa

Oh, I can think of a few things. He may have survived this jump, but it's just a matter of time. Still, it's his choice and no doubt he will be remembered as a Utube legend one day. What was it Andy Warhol said? Something about 15 minutes of fame?

This guy was really good too, but he's no longer with us either:

Guest SAJabiruflyer

My wife, who is Chinese, on viewing these videos, said "Chin sin ar" which basically means "what an idiot". Then again, if u live so dangerously, you have a pretty good chance of meeting your maker earlier than normal. 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif

Guest SAJabiruflyer
If you enjoy being an idiot, and someone( ahem, Redbull!) will pay you to do it, more power to you I guess; Just don't bust up anyone else in the process of meeting your maker!

We could extrapolate into the field of "adventurers" that end up costing Taxpayers a fortune when they need rescuing...

We could extrapolate into the field of "adventurers" that end up costing Taxpayers a fortune when they need rescuing...

I'm pretty glad for some adventurers though, imagine if we were still walking around riding donkeys. (imagine the first person to do that too!!) augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Oh, I can think of a few things. He may have survived this jump, but it's just a matter of time. Still, it's his choice and no doubt he will be remembered as a Utube legend one day. What was it Andy Warhol said? Something about 15 minutes of fame?This guy was really good too, but he's no longer with us either:

He cheated he followed the track!jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

Guest pookemon
Is it bad that I have devoured my download watching those two clips??!! Can not get enough.003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gifMy 4 year old girl is calling herself "BatCat"(!), sticking her arms out, and flying around the room trying to 'Hit balloons"!! Looks like the bug has bitten her early.......

You might want to watch this - which is a "better" version of your second Vid...

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/179-episode/video/wingsuiter-jeb-corliss.html

(I hope the link works). It's only a short video (check out the setup of the "Camera guy" - 5 GoPro's and an EOS). Interesting that his helmet came off the instant he hit.

Guest pookemon
Oh, I can think of a few things. He may have survived this jump, but it's just a matter of time. Still, it's his choice and no doubt he will be remembered as a Utube legend one day. What was it Andy Warhol said? Something about 15 minutes of fame?This guy was really good too, but he's no longer with us either:

I saw a doco on him a few years ago. He died while talking on the phone to a friend having jumped off a cliff ("Rope Jump"). Something I read talked about friction but the doco basically gave all the info that described what happened. His ropes had been in the weather for a week (climbing ropes are to be replaced if they get wet) and had been used for a number of jumps already (they are also only rated to a certain level of strain based on the distance you fall each time - and are to be replaced when a certain level is reached - it is the climbers responsibility to log the falls etc.).

"Free climbing" is a little like base jumping - suicide waiting to happen.

You might want to watch this - which is a "better" version of your second Vid...http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/179-episode/video/wingsuiter-jeb-corliss.html

(I hope the link works). It's only a short video (check out the setup of the "Camera guy" - 5 GoPro's and an EOS). Interesting that his helmet came off the instant he hit.

Sickening, great example for our children!

If it would just prevent at least one child from trying something like the video shows I would support a total ban on the showing of such things on a public forum such as 'You Tube'.

My two bob's worth for what it's worth.

Rick-p