First thruster experience

Guest nunans

Well today i had my first flight in a thruster (happened to be a nice T500), I'm getting my Low performace and 2-stroke endoresements so i can fly my 503 powered single place tail dragger ;)

I totally loved it and would definately consider owning one in future, it was a heap of fun and a great view from the pilot seat. We done a heap of low level circuits and wheeler touch and go's then some three pointers and some fast taxi's on the mains.

I wish I was flying ultralights in Australia twenty years ago when these were in thier hay day....

What a fantastic aircraft.

Master H.

Can't say for sure that he's still in harness but Jim Cuthill, CFI of "Falcon Hawk" ( near Benalla) was doing taildragger instruction in his T300 up till a year or so ago and Benalla ain't that far away from the Dandenongs. He used to answer calls on (03) 5828 6428. Give him a hoy and see what you arrange. Cheers

Master H.Can't say for sure that he's still in harness but Jim Cuthill, CFI of "Falcon Hawk" ( near Benalla) was doing taildragger instruction in his T300 up till a year or so ago and Benalla ain't that far away from the Dandenongs. He used to answer calls on (03) 5828 6428. Give him a hoy and see what you arrange. Cheers

Is anybody doing such a thing out of Bindoon Riley? What about if my mate wanted to have an hour or so with an instructor type to get him current again? I can take him for a ride but that's it!

Pud

Is anybody doing such a thing out of Bindoon Riley? What about if my mate wanted to have an hour or so with an instructor type to get him current again? I can take him for a ride but that's it!Pud

There isn't a low inertia/hi drag, rag & tube taildragger on line at YBOO anymore. The school uses a Sky Fox but, because it's handling idiosyncrasys are distinct from the Thruster, I'd imagine that one wouldn't expect to jump into it from a T300 and knock off a BFR without an hour or so of type familiarization beforehand. My former T300 still resides at Bindoon but she's been 'ridden hard and put away wet' by her current owner and as such doesn't have any immediate potential for check flights or BFRs. A possible solution is that you organize an overnight fly-in to the farm and we bring one of the SI's along and put him to work on-site. How much time we got? Give us a call. Cheers.

There isn't a low inertia/hi drag, rag & tube taildragger on line at YBOO anymore. The school uses a Sky Fox but, because it's handling idiosyncrasys are distinct from the Thruster, I'd imagine that one wouldn't expect to jump into it from a T300 and knock off a BFR without an hour or so of type familiarization beforehand. My former T300 still resides at Bindoon but she's been 'ridden hard and put away wet' by her current owner and as such doesn't have any immediate potential for check flights or BFRs. A possible solution is that you organize an overnight fly-in to the farm and we bring one of the SI's along and put him to work on-site. How much time we got? Give us a call. Cheers.

Thanks Riley. We have plenty of time, it's just he hasn't flown for some time and wants to get some airtime with an instructor before flying his Gemini. I like the idea of coming up to the farm some time, just a bit too hot at the moment. Still, we are in the back end of Summer now so cooler weather must be just around the corner... isn't it??

I'll be in touch Riley.

Pud

• Like 1

Could I ask where you were able to get the flight training in a thruster?Thanks

H

Hi, yes I am very lucky to have the opportunity to fly a thruster with an instructor. I'm in the central tablelands NSW. The high drag low inertia bit is really evident when you pull the power on climb out in a rag/tube machine and i imagine most "real pilots" who fly heavier VH reg aircraft would be caught out by not responding quickly or positively enough to maintain good airspeed in an ultralight emergency, all the more reason why it's so important to have aircraft and instructors availabe to teach Low performance, 2-stroke etc. There are instructors every where who can give you lessons in jabs and similar which is great for RA but I don't thint that it fully prepares you for flying a real ultralight.

Master H.Can't say for sure that he's still in harness but Jim Cuthill, CFI of "Falcon Hawk" ( near Benalla) was doing taildragger instruction in his T300 up till a year or so ago and Benalla ain't that far away from the Dandenongs. He used to answer calls on (03) 5828 6428. Give him a hoy and see what you arrange. Cheers

Yep Jim Cuthill is a close friend of mine and yes he is still teaching in his thruster,he also teaches wieght shift,out of his airfield "FALCON HAWK" Boxwood He is a wealth of nolage and also deals in rag and tube aircraft.And must ad Not only one of the best CFI's out thier but one hell of Pilot,His wife Kay also a senior CfI ...Pic of Jims trusty Thruster Trainer..th11.jpg.2ae675c38c4e12dcc7678695ac28739d.jpg

• Like 1

You certainly need to be fairly quick and positive with the forward stick thing, but the need for that is easily explained and understood, and once you have the attitude required in your mind by a bit of practice you are on the way to being across that part of it. There are other things like steep gliding turns where the sink rate is quite astounding but safe if you know what you are doing, and have the required height.

Not sure what the minimum height to have an engine failure on take-off is, where you are able to nose over and then flare, without bending it. A bit of extra speed on climb out makes survival more likely, in this event.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Always liked the look of thrusters, people always say good things about them but there seem to be not that many getting around. Do they still make them?

Nope, haven't been made for a long time now - well the T500s that is. You can get a new Thruster T600 Sprint, and other variations from http://www.thruster.co.uk/spec/

My advice would be to have a good look around for a 2nd hand one. You should be able to pick up a T500 for $15,000 or so - cheaper for some earlier versions.

Pud

A good rule in Thrusters is to maintain 50kts till 200ft or so. This way you will have a little more elevator authority if the engine stops. The tail is blanketed a bit by the pod and so elevator control is assisted to a greater extent by propwash than in other types. This and the well documented problem of wing angle of incidence make them challenging to fly until as Pud says you get used to them. Then they're a delight. You can pull the engine to idle and almost stand them on their nose and still not exceed the 80kts Vne (make sure you have plenty of height and experience). Best climb speed is around 40-42kts. Always have a good paddock selected for landing if the engine should commit hari cari. Don

Nope, haven't been made for a long time now - well the T500s that is. You can get a new Thruster T600 Sprint, and other variations from http://www.thruster.co.uk/spec/My advice would be to have a good look around for a 2nd hand one. You should be able to pick up a T500 for $15,000 or so - cheaper for some earlier versions.

Pud

thanks for the info. Still its a shame someone cant start making them here!

can you still easily obtain parts since they dont make them anymore?

No!

Some parts are standard stuff, like alum tube (aircraft grade of course!), bolts and skins, cabling etc. Specific parts made from stainless steel and chrome moly are harder to get. Most of these I had specially fabricated when doing my rebuild. There are some 2nd hand parts around but you have to dig deep.

Pud

No!Some parts are standard stuff, like alum tube (aircraft grade of course!), bolts and skins, cabling etc. Specific parts made from stainless steel and chrome moly are harder to get. Most of these I had specially fabricated when doing my rebuild. There are some 2nd hand parts around but you have to dig deep.

Pud

Hi Pud"..I'm after fore and aft nylon or plastic rib ends for the thruster. Any contacts? If not I'll have to make a mould and make my own........thank's Frosty.