thusterT83 out of control,no ailron responce

flyerme

Pretty cool! I have a Robin powered 95-10 homebuilt that I haven't flown for 5 years.. you've inspired me to think about getting it airworthy again.

Have you been able to get spare parts for the Robin, mine's nearly 30 years old!!

Cheers

Richo from Strathalbyn SA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool! I have a Robin powered 95-10 homebuilt that I haven't flown for 5 years.. you've inspired me to think about getting it airworthy again.Have you been able to get spare parts for the Robin, mine's nearly 30 years old!!

Cheers

Richo from Strathalbyn SA

Hey Richo,your not far from here!! blew the cylinder gaskets in this video (you can't tell) but fuel mix seeping out the sides and slight poping....Lucky my mate dropped off a new robin (only done 17 hours from new and well stored) so I put it on yesturday,fired up very easy and runs nice,just waiting on the weather...bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif theres a fellar on here willing to part with an old robin(don't now how good it is?) he wants a couple of hunj for it but its been sitting in his shed for 10 years,,I think his in loxton? I can find his number if interested..there is still a few robins kicking about just have to hind em... what you need?whats your 95-10? welcome to come check out my lil thrusty any time ,or just for hanger chatt and cuppa's...for the matter anyone else keen,,call Tim 08 85743031 Sherlock(15 mins from tailembend...:),take it easy P.S both my robins are 30 years also ,,they don,t build em like they used too,,,hahah proberbly a good reason...lmfao

Guest ozzie

The last i heard their was someone in WA that dealt with the Fuji Robin engines. The company we used to deal with in NSW was Cromwell. maybe they can put you in contact with the new dealer. Wisco have pistons and rings for them. Some parts from the Kawasaki 440 are the same.

there are also dealers in the US.

ozzie

Reckon that might have been Crommelins... I seem to remember getting a new CDI unit from them about 12-13 years ago.

Some research I did sometime ago also led me to US snowmobiles... a Polaris or something was a Robin derivative as a source of new barrels and pistons.

Hey FlyerMe I'll have to look you up sometime for a chinwag. I am building a Sonex which is keeping me busy, and not FLYING! Hence the idea of getting tho old beast runnning again.

I reckon I might have spoken to the Loxton fella bout his Robin at Truro.. picking up a near new Robin with 17 hours, thats gold!

Cheers

Richo

Reckon that might have been Crommelins... I seem to remember getting a new CDI unit from them about 12-13 years ago.Some research I did sometime ago also led me to US snowmobiles... a Polaris or something was a Robin derivative as a source of new barrels and pistons.

Hey FlyerMe I'll have to look you up sometime for a chinwag. I am building a Sonex which is keeping me busy, and not FLYING! Hence the idea of getting tho old beast runnning again.

I reckon I might have spoken to the Loxton fella bout his Robin at Truro.. picking up a near new Robin with 17 hours, thats gold!

Cheers

Richo

hey Richo,what is the old beast? im picking up an old quick silver single seat in the next few weeks will be my next project..at this stage thinking may have to sell my trusty thrusty to pay for the new planes(supercat & quicksilver) but will be hard to part with the pride of my fleet(and the most interesting) will see if I can pick up some extra work in hope to hang on to my beloved broom stick but if not she will be very reluctanly on the market....yep ya really get attatched to these thrusters.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif ..lol

Guest ozzie
Reckon that might have been Crommelins... I seem to remember getting a new CDI unit from them about 12-13 years ago.Some research I did sometime ago also led me to US snowmobiles... a Polaris or something was a Robin derivative as a source of new barrels and pistons.

Cheers

Richo

Youse right about the name

http://www.crommelins.com.au/product/SUBARU-engines

hey Richo,what is the old beast?

Its a scratch built 95:10, which I started putting together in my carport in 1984. I was in the RAAF at Williamtown at the time. At the time one of my mates had a Cohen Condor with single surface rag wings, (for-runner of the Thruster), so I took all the dimensions from it, and built up the aluminium broomstick frame. Another mate had done a similar thing and built his own Condor, he later retrofitted wood wings, powered by a Rotax 277. So I had 2 aircraft to model from. Looking at mine many have suggested its a Thruster, has similar structure with fibreglass pod. The pod has a fabric fairing behind the pilot. The main difference is the built up wings, spruce spars, foam ribs, dacron and dope. I registered it as a Kestrel Mk1 in 1987, before the 'other' Kestrel 95:10 appeared in the late 80's. The Robin has a Rotax gearbox on it, which we fitted after I lost a belt driven prop in flight. Another time the nut hold the rope starter came undone and sent the rubber handle through the prop on takeoff.. a single nut dammit! Cost me another prop. I last flew it in 2005 at Truro Flats, now lives on its trailer at Callington, to make room for the Sonex. There are some photos here, part way down the page.. http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813

awesome love your work.........yeh my thruster's pretty old school!! still has the origanal single surface wings,which keep its take off short and airspeed slow,,and makes control very dosile,,love it..

• 2 weeks later...

PB5Sml.thumb.jpg.21c3243947773b83e98cb0da89833156.jpg Hiya Fellas, Gotta join in this thread about the lighter side of flying. I have just finished the 95.10 in the pic , it has a Kawasaki 440 with a 5 belt drive on it but not enough power to lift off. It weighs 156 kg's empty. Do you think the Kwaka has enough pull to do the job. How heavy is your thruster?

Cheers.

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

Aero28, the only plane I flew with a kawa 440 was a flightstar, weight unknown but she was pretty stock. I had doubts about the power of the 440 prior to the flight, but was quite impressed with what it actually put out. They are strong little engines for their size. By the way your plane looks to be built very well..is that a poly-v redrive on the engine or a v-belt drive ?................................Cheers Maj...

[ATTACH=full]16916[/ATTACH] Hiya Fellas, Gotta join in this thread about the lighter side of flying. I have just finished the 95.10 in the pic , it has a Kawasaki 440 with a 5 belt drive on it but not enough power to lift off. It weighs 156 kg's empty. Do you think the Kwaka has enough pull to do the job. How heavy is your thruster?Cheers.

Hey Aero28,your plane looks good ,now the kwaka440 38 hp, may be a lil under powered, although your plane looks slippery.my thruster ways empty 192kg and runs a robin 50hp also has the single surface wing creating a lot of drag but has plenty of power, off the ground in under 100meters easy,..my supercat(when it goes)runs a rotax 44739hp and has loads of power,the kwaka's a good ol engine(under rated) alot like the robin which has never let me down,but the rotax is in a hole new level if you can get em to run..lol

.what prop have you got on? more importantly what max revs you pulling?is the engine fresh?or done some time?take it easy keep me posted

Hi Maj/Flyerme, The drive has 5 small vee belts on it and two were a little loose so I have put 5 on it that look about the same tension, this is without any adjustment done on the top pulley to tighten them up. I will have to sneek up on the tensioning, I dont' want to over tighten and chew out the crank bearing. Prop is 54" diam and don't know what pitch, Don't know rev's as the tacho isn't working yet. Engine has done moderate hours but seems to run nice. I have thought about putting a toothed belt on it , 2 pulleys and belt cost 250 dollars from Pies and an bit of machining. Anyway will try again this weekend and see if things have changed. Cheers Thanks for your help.

[ATTACH=full]16916[/ATTACH] Hiya Fellas, Gotta join in this thread about the lighter side of flying. I have just finished the 95.10 in the pic , it has a Kawasaki 440 with a 5 belt drive on it but not enough power to lift off. It weighs 156 kg's empty. Do you think the Kwaka has enough pull to do the job. How heavy is your thruster?Cheers.

With regards your lack of power concerns - I suggest that you turn the dog around 180* so that when cable-tied to the engine, both the dog and aircraft tails are pointing in the same direction. In this manner the combined Kwaka HP and the 1 dogpower will undoubtedly shorten your takeoff run immensely and get you into ground effect much quicker. Now, having resolved that issue, you might next look at either a 'quick release' feature on rotation for the dog or perhaps change out the cable ties to a belly band or something similar for creature comforts whilst doing circuits? Always ready to help with life's little problems.

yep looks like it? was told by certain level 2 inspector that the strutts where they join the leading edge and trailing edge stainless brackets are ment to have play?????????? unfortunatly this is INCORRECT and the result has worn the strutt end bolt attatchments which now have a bigger gap and 1 is uneven....

Never heard of a level 2 inspector. But when I hear things like that I just want to slap someone. I have a saying, well, more like a credo when it comes to this sort of thing... "Show me the document". Never trust the 'word' of someone when it comes to matters like this. They can be the most experienced knowledgable bloke on the planet, still, ask to see a document.Where is that written?.. Is it in the service manual, an AD?.. etc.. Ive had engineers telling me gazelles can fly without the jesus pins in the spars. So I ask, ok can you froward me an email or a letter stating that this is the case....uuummmm....no... :) well dont bloody well tell me it can then.

Rant over.

Glad you got the problem sorted. Just one thing tho. Probably not the best idea to testfly in rough conditions, especially when your testing a primary control problem... Just a tip..;)

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Maj/Flyerme, The drive has 5 small vee belts on it and two were a little loose so I have put 5 on it that look about the same tension, this is without any adjustment done on the top pulley to tighten them up. I will have to sneek up on the tensioning, I dont' want to over tighten and chew out the crank bearing. Prop is 54" diam and don't know what pitch, Don't know rev's as the tacho isn't working yet. Engine has done moderate hours but seems to run nice. I have thought about putting a toothed belt on it , 2 pulleys and belt cost 250 dollars from Pies and an bit of machining. Anyway will try again this weekend and see if things have changed. Cheers Thanks for your help.

As Pa always says,join a heap of stretchies ,connect to prop and tail ,have some one wind it up and off you go,,,hmm???? 38 hp should get your lil plane up easy 156kg,my supercat wieghs240empty running the rotax39hp,im really keen on what revs your getting max?

Ha Ha , very funny Riley, the dogs hypo , I reckon she'd be worth a dog and a half at least.. I will have to get a tacho that works, I have a 2"Falcon one in it at the moment but dosen't want to work. I am taking this plane to Temora at Easter to display, come and say gday if you are there.

• Like 1

Well...... had another go on Sunday and still not getting in the air. I had a couple of airman watching the taxi tests and they said there seemed to be heaps of revs but no thrust from the prop, (54") And it does look a bit small for what it has to do. So I am thinking a bigger Diam and pitch. But.... I have been offered a Cyunna 440 with a gearbox on it and prop which has previously been in a Neiport Bi Plane and it flew well, so another option.

Guest Andys@coffs
Well...... had another go on Sunday and still not getting in the air. I had a couple of airman watching the taxi tests and they said there seemed to be heaps of revs but no thrust from the prop, (54") And it does look a bit small for what it has to do. So I am thinking a bigger Diam and pitch. But.... I have been offered a Cyunna 440 with a gearbox on it and prop which has previously been in a Neiport Bi Plane and it flew well, so another option.

It occured to me on reading that it would be resonably easy to test for belt slip wouldnt it, Permanent marker on the pulleys across all belt tops and if there is slip they will be all out of alignment after an engine run...

That said I havent tested it so dont know what you would see, but cant see why it wouldnt work....

Andy.

P.S no tacho means that "heaps of revs" is as close as you can get to describing what is happening. With a tacho and a knowledge of the gearing ratio you should be able to calculate the RPM's of the prop and then measure it to see what your actually getting at the prop with a Radio Control Aircraft prop RPM instrument, uses a light sensor to measure the interuptions of the prop. Only a few $ at most hobby stores that sell RC stuff.