Fine tuned drifter or an X-Air???

seb7701

Hi all.

Once again seeking some opinions from you learned lot regarding the two a/c I am considering for my first crack at ownership.

I am first and foremost a drifter man, but have always been fascinated with these X-Air's, particularly with the existence of a cabin and tricky little features such as a 23kt stall and lush suspension. For a nosewheeler, they look like a snazzy little STOL a/c which could be fun out in the bush.

Back to the drifters, I do lean towards them on account of the fact that they will perform better than an X-Air with even a 503, and that's before I even start looking at Fisher Mk1's etc.

I have propogated a Fisher vs Drifter thread yonks ago, but the question today is moreso what is the actual performance difference in the drifter in terms of airspeed (I am aware of the more nimble handling of Wayne's a/c) and are there some simple mods that can be made to an Austflight drifter to make them more of a Fisher machine, even if it meant a rego change to 19- category.

What can you tell me chaps (sorry....and gals)?

Yep, I hear you alright, but I'm going for budget and simplicity (with two seats) to start with for a first purchase.

Funny though, seeing as a Jab or similar 90-100kt a/c is out of the question, anything below seems pretty much the same speed, ie 60-70kts.

Along with drifters and x-airs, even 582 Lightwings (remember I mentioned budget....), Gazelles and the like, all seem to be in the 60-70kt range, yet with $10K+ added to the pricetag. Don't get me wong, I'd love a real cabin....

• Like 1

I fly both on a regular basis. Today I did about 2 hours in each. The xair I fly belongs to a buddy whom I'm teaching to fly. The drifter is mine. I also own a Diamond DA20c-1. So here's my opinion:

The xair is fantastic for learning to fly. It's one of the most forgiving airplanes I've ever flown (and I've flown LOTS). It cruises at about the same airspeed as the drifter, albeit a bit less efficiently due to drag caused by the wide fuselage (side by side seating).

XAIR PROS -

Super forgiving

Easy to fly

Very pitch stable

Rugged suspension

Tough - very unlikely you'll break it.

Can be enclosed for cold weather flying.

CONS

Not nearly as good of visibility as the drifter

Loud (in the cabin)

Uncomfortable. I get bad cramps if I sit in it for more than 45 minutes at a time

Lacks the open air feel

Whereas the Drifter (mine is a factory built SB582)

Drifter PROS

Unrivaled visibilty

Open air feel

Quite in the cockpit ( a big deal to me)

efficient cruise

Very slightly better STOL performance compared to the xair

Comfy for long flights, even for tall guys

CONS

Less forgiving when landing

Less parts availability and factory support

You'll have to bundle up when is gets below 40 degrees F

Your passenger is farther away (can be a good thing)

Chance of something going into the prop (pusher vs tractor)

Maybe I'm biased, but I say Drifter any day. Don't mind the people who think you need a fast bird. You'd be suprised how far you can take a drifter with 17 gallons of fuel. I've got a fast plane too, but 80% of my flying is in the drifter. Speed is expensive, and hard to justify.

Hey seb I know here there a few Drifters out your way for sale... I will save my opinion on a comparison... no question at all which I prefer. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I dunno about slow aircraft limiting your potential, I have an expanded fuel tank in my Xair and I have done some long flights in it (7 - 8 hrs flying time - obviously with stops for fuel, comfort etc.) I fly regularly for 2 - 3 hrs at a time comfortably. The Xair can carry a lot of luggage - camping gear - etc. I admit, drifters look cool and are a great aircraft. The only difference between the faster aircraft, and the Xair/drifter /thruster types is the time taken to get where you are going. I fly for fun so the time is not that important. I am prejudiced re the Xair but they are both great aircraft for what they are.

Justin - thanks for that, sounds like you were the perfect man to answer for me. Funny, every time I think about various aeroplanes, I always end up back at Drifters. I appreciate the fact that you own a Diamond and still spend you're time out in the open air. I love that!

I was thinking that with such a slow stall speed, the X-air may have been a great STOL a/c, but you reckon the Drifter is better? Actually glad to hear that part. Also never thought of the cabin noise. I am guessing that will such docile handling, the X-air might be bordering on a little plain, so the drifter argument is getting better eh? (X -air owners - don't be offended , I've nexver flown one...)

Tex - always glad to hear of a drifter fan - some of your pics justify why we love the things!

I'm now thinking a drifter with extended Fisher pod....

This is proper affordable aviation... I am watching this thread with interest. I flew a Drifter for the first time a few weeks ago... Best flying experience I have had... But I agree with the reasoning being applied as to purchasing a simple aircraft in this price category.

P.S. Seb... my Drifter flying a few weeks ago was in company with an Xair... We ALL had a great time regardless of which machine.

The Drifter is 19 rego... has Fisher parts and flaps... but are not used.

IMAG0118.jpg

Flaps?? Didn't know you could get them! Would love one of Wayne's extended pods which runds past both seats. Surely must pick up a few knots I would think.

Failing that -this is the machine I started in. I believe there are only two with this rear pod.

1153284287_Billsdrifter.jpg.56ec88c4adb404598bdf9f4fbb4233b5.jpg

Here are a few more photos... As you can see the front seat has the full screen and the rear seat has a small screen in front of the upper body of the pax... Worked a treat but means a little more of a wiggle to get in or out.... Seemed to fly ok... actually the nicest flying machine I have sampled so far IMHO. I don't know how it compares to other Drifters but all I can say is "Damn they must be good"... The flaps on this one are not used... perhaps not necessary on a Drifter.

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

I would buy one in a flash... and one day this is the sort of machine my finances can afford. Just got to get a few of people together in a syndicate and anyone can afford to fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the shots - can't get enough of them. I know there have been drifter photo threads recently, but if anyone has drifter mods or Fisher photos, I'd be most interested, along with performance figures as well if there are any noteworthy changes.

Why dont you look at the Xair Hanuman has a bit more room in the cockpit good cruise 75- 80 kts can run a Jab 2200 or Rotax 912. Fun aircraft to fly is good on Xcountry flights.

100_5809.JPG.1d7ccbf4469141208e9954c9c98550ad.JPG

100_5811.JPG.d6410437317ce11683acccf563edce48.JPG

100_5862.JPG.4b029d10d1bbeb3df30695b2d68540b3.JPG

100_5866.JPG.64fe1b8ac8f059eab6177d46bb916f2b.JPG

Good point - had forgotten them I must admit, but again, due to $$, I am actually aiming for a 2 stroke, odd as that may sound to some. The Hanuman might be a little scarce too.

You have my interest though

Drifter, of course! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Never flown an Xair... so I guess that means I would't know the answer!! but you can't beat the Drifter, and it does have that wheel at the right end... which is important... 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I know of one for sale in the proserpine area with a Fisher pod on it, think he's asking around 12 g....well utilized machine but he has stepped up to a new Savannah now ...........................................Maj...