Fine tuned drifter or an X-Air???

seb7701

Hey - forgot to ask, what are the real world differences between the 503 and 582?

Seeing as Wayne FISHER always goes for the 503's I am thinking that there is some power to weight advantages, with the two up performance obviously suffering, but still being sufficient. Would there be 10 kts difference in the cruise performance? Anyone?

Yep and I am thinking a cheaper replacement if it all goes pear shaped.

Just wish I could keep cruise at 60kt or above. I'm sure I heard some vary surprising performance figures from FISHER's fine tuning, but just can't remember what they were. I think some great things are possible with that little 503.

Have heard a little about Hirth, but alas, I wonder how good they could be in light of the fact that 80% of the a/c I know of have a Rotax of some form.

I guess a Jab motor would look O.K. strapped to the back of a drifter too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey - forgot to ask, what are the real world differences between the 503 and 582? Would there be 10 kts difference in the cruise performance? Anyone?

The short answer, purchase price and Power.......503, 49.6 hp.. 37 kw @ 6500 RPM........582, 65 hp.. 48 kw @ 6500 rpm.

Without all the relevant information that is required,the question about performance can`t be answered correctly.

you can't buy 503's anymore.

I don`t think that is correct! A reputable overseas dealer is still advertising the 503 for sale.

Frank.

Drifter, of course! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gifNever flown an Xair... so I guess that means I would't know the answer!! but you can't beat the Drifter, and it does have that wheel at the right end... which is important... 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Tomo, does it have one on the left end too?

apparently BMW flat twin motors are gaining popularity in Europe, mainly for trikes and due to ongoing legislation problems for two strokes

i've done a little surfing and have seen some magic installs, one of these lil babies would go well in a Drifter i reckon

BP

• 2 weeks later...
apparently BMW flat twin motors are gaining popularity in Europe, mainly for trikes and due to ongoing legislation problems for two strokesi've done a little surfing and have seen some magic installs, one of these lil babies would go well in a Drifter i reckon

BP

What's the horsepower rating for those Beemer engines?

What about a HKS? Little more $$$ but seems to be the right weight at the right horsepower... $12k I have heard but double the TBO.

2 Cylinders 4-Stroke Engine

with Horizontally Opposed Cylinders

4 Valves per Cylinder

56hp(41kw) at 5800rpm (continuous)

60hp(44kw) at 6200rpm (3min./Take off)

55kg weight (engine, gearbox, exhaust etc)

1000hr TBO

Air-Cooled Cylinders

Oil-Cooled Cylinder Heads

Guest davidh10

If anyone is worried about not being able to tour in a Drifter; We had an Xair and two Drifters on this year's Megafauna fly-away. Eight days, 1,100 nm, from Yarrawonga to Goolwa via St Arnaud, and back via Wentworth and Hay.

I haven't been in an Xair, but have had a flight in a Drifter. My choice would be Drifter, although I'd prefer a 4stroke.

Some interesting options cropping up re replacement engines. I must say that whilst a sup0er drifter with 912 would be unreal, I am getting a fascination for a Jab powered drifter...

Don't get too keen. A Jab as a pusher is not the go. They have difficulty cooling them. Also with a draggy plane it's good to have a fairly "dense" prop. (Good dia and a bit of blade width) this requires a reduction gearing generally. Nev

What's the horsepower rating for those Beemer engines?

about 80 i think, but there are options for limiting this i believe via carb restrictors etc

although if a supa Drifter can take a 912 OK, the 80 from the BMW should be OK ?

btw i did ask Wayne Fisher what he thought about the BM motor and he said that in his opinion the 912 was a better option

have a look at

http://www.huntwing.co.uk/bmw%20photos/The%20BMW%20story.htm

cheers for now

BP

Four cylinders is better than Two for vibration. The HKS being a fairly small capacity engine is OK that way, but big pistons mean it can be a thumper. Nev

yeh Nev get your point - found this, useful info concerning this thread

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/EnginePricing/HKS/costCompare.htm

btw, i think the Drifter would not have the same cooling problems with the bm motor that the Huntwing had, the motor position in the Drifter has much better airflow

and i did see a video of a trike with a bm motor doing a flyby - sounded wonderful !!!

BP