PLB Choices

rgmwa

I'll be looking to buy a GPS PLB in the not too distant future. Does anyone have any recommendations? Priorities are reliability and performance, battery life, waterproof, size, etc. Price is a secondary concern.

rgmwa

The Kannad is the better brand, and not only are their ELBs the choice in large aircraft, but their PLB is the only one that works properly in water, if you end up in a lake or the sea...all the others float on their side so for them to transmit properly you have to hold them up while treading water, however the Kannad floats vertically thus transmitting properly and with the lanyard around your neck you don't have to worry about anything as it just floats 18" away from you transmitting away...that is why they are the choice of PLB that the shop here stocks and currently has them on special at $395.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. A PLB that floats upright would be nice to have if I ever have to land in Bass Strait. I'll have enough trouble keeping myself upright without having to worry about saving the PLB as well. Don't need it for a while yet, but will be in touch nearer the time.

rgmwa

A device you may want to consider is a SPOT GPS tracking device. It utilises a signal sent via satelite. I bought one for my mother in law who is a bushwalker. Price is around two hundred dollars and for $50 per year, you can set up a web page where anyone can watch your progress as when turned on, it transmits your GPS position every 10 minutes. A google earth display is available on the web page and your location is displayed every 10 minutes in real time. Your tracks can be stored for a period of time (perhaps 1 week) for you to look at. The device also has an emergency function. Press the red button and a distress message is sent via satelite link to the national emergency centre along with your GPS position. A SAR phase is automatically instigated. Velcro it to your glareshield and if you press the red button at 500' prior to impact, the SAR centre will have a good idea of your location straight away. I'm certainly going to get one when my aircraft is ready to fly.

It's not a PLB as such but is a very handy and affordable device. My ma in law said battery life is quite good on regular alkaline batteries. I dont know about weather proofness and I dont think it is buoyant but you could check it out.

A device you may want to consider is a SPOT GPS tracking device.

Thanks Flyvulcan. I've read about them, but I'm not sure if they comply with CASA's requirements (VH reg). As I understand it, I need either an ELT in the aircraft, or carry a PLB when travelling more than 50nm from home. I'll look into it though.

rgmwa

and for $50 per year, you can set up a web page where anyone can watch your progress as when turned on, it transmits your GPS position every 10 minutes.

Must get one for my 14yo daughter augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
Thanks Flyvulcan. I've read about them, but I'm not sure if they comply with CASA's requirements (VH reg). As I understand it, I need either an ELT in the aircraft, or carry a PLB when travelling more than 50nm from home. I'll look into it though.rgmwa

I have both. PLB to meet the "requirements" and to activate once an emergency occurs, the SPOT to show where I was before the emergency began. I see both as complimentary. The Spot uses commercial sat phone transponders whereas the PLB uses a sat transponder whose sole purpose in life is beacon watching.... Im of the view that my wife knowing where I was prior to going off the air is just as useful as knowing where I was when an emergency occured IF I have the wherewithall to turn the PLB on.

Some may see PLB as sufficient, personally for just a few dollars I think both are a better outcome as the tracking is available even if there is no issue. She feels better understanding exactly where I am in real time when I do the long distance X country's across outback NSW/SA

Some suggest that smartphones with 3G coverage can do the same thing with an app, and to a certain extent across a fair chunk of Australia that is correct, however that fair chunk is not 100%, indeed nowhere close to it. Despite marketing attempts of the mobile carriers talking about 96% or 99% of population, in terms of sq km's the percentage would be significantly lower. 3G coverage improves with altitude, and it is possible that up high your chances are mutch better, but I suggest that nobody crashes at altitude, and similarly nobody goes from high to low in a real short time that doesnt give rise to a shout for help in the first place. Its down low that probs happen and its down low that coverage is impared. Satelite based technology is not impacted by altitude unless your so low that greenery is above you....

I see PLB carriage as 3rd party fire and theft insurance while adding spot lifts to full comprehensive, only the $ delta isnt anywhere near in the insurance example.

IMHO Telstra has the best 3G coverage and you can see how little of the country is actually covered here http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/state-coverage/index.htm

Andy

Must get one for my 14yo daughter augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Ian, From experience sometimes it is better not to know. then when the call comes you are well rested. :-) 2 x Girls over 18 and we all made it unscathed.

• Like 2