New Prop for Gazelle?

68volksy

Howdy,

The flying school I learn at has a Gazelle that might soon be due for a new propeller. There's a bit of concern at the moment that none seem to be available that meet the criteria for use in a flying school.

Does anyone know with certainty where a suitable propeller might be available? The guy who used to make them decided to stop about 6 months ago apparently.

Howdy,The flying school I learn at has a Gazelle that might soon be due for a new propeller. There's a bit of concern at the moment that none seem to be available that meet the criteria for use in a flying school.

Does anyone know with certainty where a suitable propeller might be available? The guy who used to make them decided to stop about 6 months ago apparently.

Hi,

Not sure how legal for training - our Gazelle has a 2 blade Bolly composite prop. Don't know where you would get an original spec wooden one these days. Probably best to contact RAA and see what is the score when the original manufacturer (Skyfox) no longer exists so is not in a position to approve anything different from the original.....

Cheers

Neil

Howdy,The flying school I learn at has a Gazelle that might soon be due for a new propeller. There's a bit of concern at the moment that none seem to be available that meet the criteria for use in a flying school.

Hi Coastal Aviation in Queensland (Rob Stowe) is suppling Sky fox parts so would be worth a phone call or Tony Kerr at Gympie Aviation Maintenance in Gympie. Cheers Mile

Thanks heaps guys. I think they've contacted Tony in Gympie (or whoever the guy is in QLD with the Gazelle approvals). He used to supply the prop until about six months ago is the story and now no-one supplies a certified prop. Been trying for years with RA-Aus to have a composite or other wooden prop approved for training but very hard to find an engineer to sign their life away on it for a reasonable sum of money.

The school could put one of the many unapproved props on it and no-one would know but that's certainly not the way they do things...

I think that's been done - there's been a lovely new 3-blade composite bolly prop sitting around for it for years apparently! I thought Tom fitted it for a while when he took it to his place a couple of Christmas's ago and loved it.

Guest pookemon

The Gazelle I fly had a 3 blade composite on it when the club purchased the aircraft - which they then replaced with the certified 2 blade timber prop. My instructor says that the Gazelle flies heaps better with the 3 blade.

Hi

New Props are available from an organization in Gympie. Steve B

• Like 1

The Gazelle I fly had a 3 blade composite on it when the club purchased the aircraft - which they then replaced with the certified 2 blade timber prop. My instructor says that the Gazelle flies heaps better with the 3 blade.

Then the two blade wooden must be the wrong size or pitch, or just a poorer design.

Alan.

We got a lot of things from Rob Stowe when redoing our plane & Rob is great with advice. We now have a 3 bladed brolley on ours & the fuel consumption is better & the plane just wants to get up there as quick as it can.

Cheers

Sue

Hi Steve,

It is the guys up in Gympie that are no longer doing the certified props. Stopped doing them about 6-9 months ago. If you know for certain this is not the case could you supply a contact number and I'll double-check it against the one the school's been dealing with?

I'm afraid the whole 2-blade versus 3-blade debate is quite redundant to us at the moment as the only certified prop is a 2 blade wooden one.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the guys in Gympie have been persuaded to build a few new props! Sounds like a couple of schools out there might have got a raised eyebrow from RA-Aus about using non-certified props... Anyway there's been 3 new ones manufactured so far and the school has snaffled one.

Recently new engine and now new prop - the mighty Gazelle will be leaping into the air!

Guest pookemon

That's good news - what school do you fly at? I'll have to call our CFI and let him know (ours is ok - but it might be prudent for the club to "stock up" just in case)...

I fly at Goulburn Aviation - contact details at www.goulburnaviation.com.au. Teraya Miller is the CFI - she cross-hires the Gazelle but will be able to get the owners details or know where the prop came from.

My understanding is they had the new composite prop to put on quite some time ago and indications were that certifying it wouldn't be a problem. The owner got a little caught-out unfortunately. Having one spare would certainly have been worthwhile.

• 4 months later...
We got a lot of things from Rob Stowe when redoing our plane & Rob is great with advice. We now have a 3 bladed brolley on ours & the fuel consumption is better & the plane just wants to get up there as quick as it can.Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue,

I just saw your reply and ask if you managed to get the aircraft certified with the Bolly prop?

There was a lot of testing done at Caloundra and the performance of the Gazelle was considerably improved with the 3 blade set up

Hi Sue,I just saw your reply and ask if you managed to get the aircraft certified with the Bolly prop?

There was a lot of testing done at Caloundra and the performance of the Gazelle was considerably improved with the 3 blade set up

We don't use ours for commercial use, it is just for our own purpose. John did quite a few phone calls to & froing with Steve Bell before we went ahead & put the 3 blade on the Gazelle. John suggests that a call to RAAust to find what you can & can't do may be the go.