RAA Aus resignations

robinsm

Something is axx-about... that is for sure.

Anyone who thinks CASA is going to be a help obviously hasn't had any recent dealings with CASA... they are just another political machine... Dysfunctional and full of self interested bureaucrats IMO... Not to say there aren't still some excellent individuals within their ranks.

Seriously... if you want to fly to work... get a GA license. It may be in our regs but this is NOT what Ra-Aus was about when it was created... Again this has been manipulated by certain Board Members over the years for their own business interests... and IMO has been a big factor in the mess we are in now.

• Like 3

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks winsor68, you get the POINT,,, I say again and louder.."RECREATIONAL" not for business purposes .thats what G.A is for..we are a mebership of hobby/sport flyers... lets keep it a hobby/and sport " I still remember the days(although a youngen)of the original 95-10 .keep it under 300ft,no licence required,,keep away from population and go have fun,youre the only one in there and only possing risk on your self

before commenting yes I understand it had to be change for saftety ,

I have found many raa members including CFI's not happy with the direction we are heading and have also witnessed a number of member not renewing membership..I see more and more ordets that seem undeserved, finding nothing and causing some CFI's to become upset and frustrated . all due to the direction in which we are heading...Just wanna fly...

• Like 2

Of course... if you really do the research... the will find that flying to work will not work consistently enough with an Ra-Aus aircraft and license to make it practical or worthwhile. You need an instrument rating and appropriate aircraft... or a lot of luck if you are going to do it to a schedule within Ra-Aus regs.

Of course it sounds like a convincing argument to present to the other half to justify the flying expenses... But don't kid yourself too.

• Like 1

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_93439Interesting reading in as much as there is no reason that a second RAAO representative group of RAA pilots could not be created. It would not be easy, but it could be done.

There are two organisations representing sub-544 kg planes in New Zealand. There is healthy competition and an even healther dose of common sense that keeps these organisations ticking along quite nicely. Both organisations know that if a person doesn't like one organisation, they will join the other. That keeps everyone on their toes and looking after the pilots first and foremost.

• Like 1

Some people have alot of facts.

...and some people are still hunting them:cheezy grin:.

Seriously though, I think Facthunter speaks an awful lot of sense and perhaps FH, would you be interested in contributing to the RA-Aus cause by running as a potential Board member? 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I would also like to see Ian re-elected. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 2

...and some people are still hunting them 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif.Seriously though, I think Facthunter speaks an awful lot of sense and perhaps FH, would you be interested in contributing to the RA-Aus cause by running as a potential Board member. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I would also like to see Ian re-elected. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

u got my vote Nev

• Like 1

Really bad time for me now. 80k (Thanks)

I thought I would ask NH. What is required in organisations like RA-Aus are people with:

1. their client base/voter base close at heart (i.e. RA-Aus members);

2. posess a large dose of pragmatic common sense;

3. have very good people skills; and,

4. be prepared to 'serve' their constituency in a fair and open manner.

I have been on this forum now for about four years and when I look at my criteria list (above) the first person I though of was yourself. It's a pity that this is a bad time for you just now.

Guest mboyd914

I have recently joined RAAUS and even more recently joined this forum after a long time working on a mates 2200 Jabiru engine at my field and i also run one in my airboat a 3300.

This does tnot sound very good for RAAUS or its members.

I have been working in corporate industry for a long time and when people resign and run away from there job it is usually for a very good reason as in they are scared of something.

When you find out what they are scared of you will no why they left.

People dont leave in droves from a company just because of a personality clash!!!

I thought I would ask NH. What is required in organisations like RA-Aus are people with:1. their client base/voter base close at heart (i.e. RA-Aus members);

I have been on this forum now for about four years and when I look at my criteria list (above) the first person I though of was yourself. It's a pity that this is a bad time for you just now.

so what about ones self 80k?would you be keen on holding a vote for the MEMBERS INTERESTS on the board? I too would have loved to see FH :please:on the board and to Ian,you would def have my vote.

keep it Recreational..Just my lil 2c,

Guest mboyd914

Didnt the board try and kick you off last time Ian? how would they respond if you reapply for the board?

If they are all as bent as you suggest earlier your nomination would probably get lost in the mail.

I have been working in corporate industry for a long time and when people resign and run away from there job it is usually for a very good reason as in they are scared of something.

When you find out what they are scared of you will no why they left.

People dont leave in droves from a company just because of a personality clash!!!

Exactly!

Exactly!

x 2 to a degree, but I would say it is more to do with the culture (the "toxic" culture I mentioned a while ago), and frustration is the most likely reason for leaving.

I used to work for QLD Health who had/have similar issues. People left because there were too many fiefdoms and too much empire building. The joke that went around was:

"Queensland Health. That's QH with a full stop like Ansett used to have. More a statement of business expectations than a colective noun", although for all the wrong reasons in QH's case.

"Ah, Queensland Health - now I understand...(explains everything)"

Too many "stakeholders" trying to influence things that have no real relevance to them, for the simple sake of justifying their positions in the business, rather than for any meaningfully useful purpose.

It would HAVE to be unusual. It would seem like the last step rather than the first one. In these circumstances, the system would just replace them and carry on, but that would not address the issue(s) which would HAVE to be significant to merit a number of resignations.

Don't jump the gun. You don't have enough information.

IF you want your activities directly run by CASA, ask anyone who is working in the industry WHY( if there is any reasonable alternative), you would do that. The public won't accept the cost and you will have no control over the expenses fobbed off onto you as the "user", and you have NO say whatsoever in determining who runs it.. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nev

• Like 2

It would HAVE to be unusual. It would seem like the last step rather than the first one. In these circumstances, the system would just replace them and carry on, but that would not address the issue(s) which would HAVE to be significant to merit a number of resignations.Don't jump the gun. You don't have enough information.

IF you want your activities directly run by CASA, ask anyone who is working in the industry WHY( if there is any reasonable alternative), you would do that. The public won't accept the cost and you will have no control over the expenses fobbed off onto you as the "user", and you have NO say whatsoever in determining who runs it.. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Nev

In nearly all cases, something that is run largely for recreation is better run as a 'cooperative' rather than an extension of a government department. After all, no one would dream of having their golf club run by the State Government, would they? There may be some internal difficulties right now, and there may be the need to get things straightened out in the medium term (but, as has been pointed out, there is simply not enough information to go on just yet). Nevertheless, in the long run, the current setup is still preferable to a CASA-administered one.

Never let this impasse/hiccup/issue/calamity be used as an excuse to hand the whole kit-and-kaboodle to the government.

• Like 6

I have heard that there is going to be a New type of rateing. Higher than a GFPT but lower that a PPL.

So if they take over RAA would everyone have to get medicals again?

In nearly all cases, something that is run largely for recreation is better run as a 'cooperative' rather than an extension of a government department. After all, no one would dream of having their golf club run by the State Government, would they? There may be some internal difficulties right now, and there may be the need to get things straightened out in the medium term (but, as has been pointed out, there is simply not enough information to go on just yet). Nevertheless, in the long run, the current setup is still preferable to a CASA-administered one.Never let this impasse/hiccup/issue/calamity be used as an excuse to hand the whole kit-and-kaboodle to the government.

Do you have any facts to back up this advice to sit back and do nothing?

I have heard that there is going to be a New type of rateing. Higher than a GFPT but lower that a PPL.So if they take over RAA would everyone have to get medicals again?

No , No and No.

The proposed new rating is the RPL (Recreational Pilots License), it has nothing to do with RAAus and everything to do with a CASA issued license providing a down grade of a PPL for those who cannot hold a Class 2 medical but can hold a drivers medical.

Sport Pilot magazine March edition in the President`s Report, Mr Steve Runciman said

quote "There are a number of other matters which will affect the organisation, including the introduction of the Recreational Pilots Licence by CASA and a legal matter currently being delt with by our insurers and solicitors".

Does anyone know what this legal matter is all about?

This may have something to do with the "resignations" which have yet to be confirmed as best as I can make out.

Cheers

I thought I would ask NH. What is required in organisations like RA-Aus are people with:1. their client base/voter base close at heart (i.e. RA-Aus members);

And we don't think that the ones who have just resigned with the possibility of there being more yet to resign did not qualify with the above criteria???? Yet they have resigned ... come on guys do you think you could make any difference if the ones we held our hopes in have resigned ... get a grip and lets step out of naive Territory please.

Under the current conditions you need more than just what is defined above, you need good corporate governance experience and the 'BALLS' to implement it. That is the current key problem when you have a board who cannot for reasons of too many Board members who don't have experience and a good grip on corporate governance and won't hold the CEO accountable for poor performance that has the potential to bring OUR organisation down big time.

For Pete's sake ... ask yourself how we could possibly have got ourselves in the current huge liability position where we are having to ground all these 'LSA' aircraft that obviously should have NEVER been given LSA status. Isn't it bloody obvious ... do you think we are grounding them for fun ... I do NOT think so. There are huge management issues at stake here. Who was in control when all this happened and why is he NOT being held accountable? That is the question that the Board needs to answer. The Board needs to get its act together and make the management accountable. Imagine the liability this mismanagement could bring on the individual board members ... why do you think they are resigning?????

The Board structure (our current constitution) and the current cooperative attitude is all part of the problem.

And for the benefit of the naive, the above could only be the logical conclusion any reasonable person could draw ... how did all this happen under the CEO's watch and why is he still there? In any normal corporate sense the CEO would be held accountable. Has anyone seen the accountability. It would appear the Board is impotent!

I make no apology for my strong words ... unchecked this management incompetence could destroy us and we should all be demanding that our reps come out publicly with this information

• Like 2

Guest ozzie

T

Sport Pilot magazine March edition in the President`s Report, Mr Steve Runciman saidquote "There are a number of other matters which will affect the organisation, including the introduction of the Recreational Pilots Licence by CASA and a legal matter currently being delt with by our insurers and solicitors".

Does anyone know what this legal matter is all about?

This may have something to do with the "resignations" which have yet to be confirmed as best as I can make out.

Cheers

that one crossed my mind as well.

Guest Andys@coffs
Do you have any facts to back up this advice to sit back and do nothing?

As others have already suggested, and as I have done, you could ring one or more of the board members who have resigned and get the story direct from them.

From my perspective alone, I determined that I can afford to sit back as things become clearer over the next few weeks.

I specifically asked is there something fundamentally wrong now (such as fraud/crime/financial irregularities etc) and the answer was no, nothing like that exists.

Nothing further from me on this subject until we have a series of posts with 1st hand reasons that can then be considered and discussed. While I know a bit of what occured I dont know it all and repeating what little I know is likely to muddy rather than clarify. In any event I only have a single side of the story and its not that I think its wrong, just that if we look at this diligently we must consider all sides.

I'm wih Nev on this, lets wait until we have the facts before speculating wildly re , among other, CASA and unfriendly takeovers etc....The ironic thing is that the "enemy" was recently our friend and did nothing other than change employer to justify a percieved change in character.........lets not do what we all howl at the media about, which is when short on facts make it up......

Andy

I am not a member yet, my completed application is sitting here on my desk with it's addressed envelope already to post, my question is , Will anyone be left to open the envelope and bank the cheque? Is there going to be anything left to be a member of?

• Like 3

I am not a member yet, my completed application is sitting here on my desk with it's addressed envelope already to post, my question is , Will anyone be left to open the envelope and bank the cheque? Is there going to be anything left to be a member of?

I am watching Q&A at the moment and your question leaves me pondering if enough pollies resigned would the country gridlock?

In the case of RA-Aus I would ssupect that the good people opening mail and banking it - well, they will probably still be there and there will be enough board members there to provide a level of service, probably of a much lower quality given the stature of those resigning.

Your decision to post the envelope depends on whether you want to fly. The Schools will still be there til the bitter end and any hours you pick up in RA will stand full value in another, except the CPL 150 hour stream, but more expensive environment,

This unsettling Board and CEO scenario is set to drag on for at least 8 months or longer, given the inability of RA-Aus to fill the casual vacancies and the holding of a board meeting in probably Feb next year. How this all touches the ordinary member will be debated forever.

If you really want to fly, take a risk, ignore the tumult in Canberra, post the letter and go out and enjoy yourself (for tomorrow will be another flying day)

050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Like 1