Mobile Style

Admin

Hi All

I have just turned on a "not yet completed" mobile style for the site. To do this I have had to turn off the "Forumrunner" application that we were using on the site for mobile devices.

Now, I really really really need your input to what you think of it and how it can be improved so I can finish it to a standard that you want.

To use it all you have to do is just go to the full site on a mobile device (i.e. go to http://www.recreationalflying.com and not use Forumrunner) and it will automatically detect that you are using a mobile device and display the mobile style.

Then have a look around and post here your thoughts...what needs to be added, removed, enhanced etc etc etc...I can bring these great features to you but it relies on you telling me your thoughts...thanks

Hi Ian, does that mean any Mobile device? e.g. Ipad?Cheers

I have left iPad to use the standard style however I can change that if there is a need...I just thought that the iPad was big enough to use the whole site in its normal way

So far so good. I've just had a look around with my Samsung (Google branded) phone and everything that I use works fine. One point is the appearance Ian. When I view on the computer, the background of the posts are white, and quotes are a darker colour. On the phone it is the opposite with normal posts in a dark background and quotes in a light background.

So far so good. I've just had a look around with my Samsung (Google branded) phone and everything that I use works fine. One point is the appearance Ian. When I view on the computer, the background of the posts are white, and quotes are a darker colour. On the phone it is the opposite with normal posts in a dark background and quotes in a light background.

Great feedback...thanks!

Seems good enough on the iPhone Ian. Will it have "push" updates??

If you are referring to it being an app and pushing an update out to you then "no" because it isn't an app but a style that is used on the site if the connection is determined to be a "defined" mobile device. Any updates that I do to the style are instantly reflected on your device.

The problem with this, and why I didn't turn it on earlier, is that the PC style can not be accessed by you at all on your device as it gets overridden by the code that automatically determines that you are using a mobile device.

Forumrunner (which is what we were using) is a 3rd party app which allows you to use the forums BUT doesn't allow you to access the other parts of the site and as it is a 3rd party app, I can't change it to allow you access to everything on the site. It is free if you just want to read but costs a small amount if you want to also post.

The Mobile Style method is a complete minimised way of using the site and I have full control on how to make the style look and feel and provide you with access to everything on the site BUT it needs an app that determines if you are accessing the site from a mobile device and if so, turns the Mobile Style on. This prevents you from using the PC style at all on your mobile device.

As you can see their are pros and cons with both methods which is why I need feedback from you to ascertain which way you want me to go. Personally, with my Samsung Galaxy 2, which has a large screen and tilt sizing, I have never had a problem with the PC style on it but understand we all have different needs which is why I always ask for your input.

It worked great for me today when I checked the site from my HTC Desire at work... was pleasantly surprised. IMO it doesn't need to be anything too fancy as I keep it simple when accessing via Phone... and it achieves this aim for me very well so far.

Works great on my new $49.50 LG Optimus Spirit. The phone even asked me if I wanted to save my login details & set it as my homepage which I did.

Guest davidh10

Seems fine so far on my HTC Sensation.

The feature I miss is jumping to the post in an Alert, rather than just the top of the page.

So I take it with the comments that the "Style" version is better then Forumrunner and apart from the background colour of the posts, just leave the Mobile Style as it is...this will mean that you will not be able to access the PC version on a mobile device...please confirm that this is what you want...thanks

Works fine for me - the PC version didn't offer anything that I needed (beyond what the style version offered) when I was just wanting a quick update on what has been happening when I was on the move.

I like it, the only small criticism is that when I press on a thread after I click what's new, the pc version will automatically show me the newest unread post, but the mobile version just defaults me to the top of the page. Its nothing significant though, and doesn't really take away from the mobile style (which is better.) I hope that made sense :)

-nathan

I had the same thing for a while, and then realised it was because I was reading without being logged in, so it continued to show all the threads in "What's New" without removing the ones from the list that I had just read.

So I take it with the comments that the "Style" version is better then Forumrunner and apart from the background colour of the posts, just leave the Mobile Style as it is...this will mean that you will not be able to access the PC version on a mobile device...please confirm that this is what you want...thanks

Confirmed.

Pud

Guest davidh10

I don't use ForumRunner.

So far the mobile rendition seems fine.

As indicated above, the feature I miss is jumping to the post linked in an Alert, rather than just the top of a page in that thread. As that worked on the HTC phones with the full site, it is likely a link value issue.

One thing that ALL users can consider by using the "Style" method is that if you are on a very very slow/bad internet connection on your PC, you can select the Mobile Style to use on your PC thus making the site lightening fast on slow connections as you are only using a "lite" version of the site.

To do this, down in the bottom left corner of the site, in the footer, you will see a a link that says "Default Style". Click that and from the popup window click "Mobile". The site style will then change to the mobile style and will remain until you change it back to the full PC Default Style.

To change it back to the PC Default Style whilst using the Mobile Style, click the word "Mobile" at the very bottom middle of any page and again from the popup window, select "Default Style".

For those wanting to even just see the Mobile Style on their PC, use the above method...hope this helps those that are on really bad Internet connections

I have just added ipod to the list of devices that will automatically use the Mobile Style...if you have any requests for mobile devices please let me know...these are what I have included so far:

android,avantgo,blackberry,blazer,compal,elaine,fennec,hiptop,iemobile,iris,kindle,maemo,midp,phone,plucker,pocket,psp,symbian,treo,vodafone,iphone,ipod,windows ce,windows phone