Why is it so difficult to get Aircraft Insurance??

Herm

Well I thought it was a good idea to get some ground insurance for my new Jabiru that I am building. I thought I would call OAMPS as they seem to have spent large amounts of money in our Mags to get our business… Well so it seems!

I contacted their office and was ref to Dee who sent me the forms for me to fill out in the full knowing I needed only ground insurance.. Near 5 days later I got the E-Mailed forms that I processed and sent back in 5 mins… Several days later I got a quote for full flying insurance….

I then E-Mailed them again and explained that they had quoted me on flying insurance and could they please Re-Quote.. I have not had another response from their office..

OK I thought! Must have got a bad agent? So I called the Adelaide office and told them the process so far.. I advised them that this was my last call to try and pass on my business to them… The lady was really nice and promised me that Bill would call me back today after 2pm and that she was really sorry I was having problems getting a quote.. I was told this should be sorted out and they looked forward to assisting me later today…085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

They never called back!

Always hearing how tough business is and yet getting good service seems to be getting worse and worse… I guess I will take my business to somone who wants it. I also had trouble with OAMPS when I had ground insurance on my trike.. after 3 years they said they no longer had a group arrangement with the HGFA and could no longer help me,,, and that was the end of that…

I wonder what would happen if you needed to make a claim? I think I have a good idea!

Just wanted to advise others of the poor service I got from them..cell.gif.0ffa74af2505389b1021b01bc3378cd2.gif

Mardy

Mardy

For your information I use OAMPS. I have no connection with them other then as a costumer. I pay $2500 per year for a $100,000 coverage on a J230.

A friend of mine had a J230 and he was quoted $4,500 for the same insurance.

The only difference being I put a 500hr min on any pilot in my aircraft [and approved by me] and stated my pilot qualifications which were quite different to his. I can only assume that an insurance company have their own assestments of risk which I have no knowledge of.

I accept your post is about "ground insurance" and as such pilot qualification should have no bearing on the policy.

Better value for money I am always interested in but at this stage OAMPS appear to be the best I can get. I will watch with interest other posts which may show I am paying too much.

FrankM

Did get a result today from the Adelaide office. Still not sure if I should use them. Worried about what happens when I need a claim. Have been looking at the insurance forum and may try some others that have been mentioned

Hi Herm

I have just gone through the process for insurance for my Savannah I just built and I am a low time pilot. I spoke to Geoff Tonkin at PSB Group they are brokers I was directed to them by another broker he was extremely good. Left a message for him and I was contacted within 10 minutes. We discussed what I should have and the reasons he then emailed me the policy and conditions he got 2 quotes from QBE and Alliance they are 2 out of the 3 aircraft insurers and they were apparently almost exactly the same. The price I thought was quite comparable to what I had researched. My instructors aircraft was damaged and he had it repaired he is with QBE and had absolutely no dramas with the insurance company he said they were great so I went with them. Give Geoff a call on 08-82672875

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's not going to help others. I got my insurance for Free! I got ground cover only for $45,000. I told them that I was Guernsey's Son, and it opened up all sorts of doors.. They even wanted to make a donation towards finishing my Jabiru.. I did however decline as I just needed insurance and not charity....

If only that was the case 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I got Hull ground cover for the above value. It covers for the usual fire theft etc. and also covers the aircraft should it get pushed over in a storm or by others that have the money to purchase engines much greater in size than mine. It's really insurance up until the moment you press the start button, and then I am on my own.. Once the aircraft is finished I may look at adding flying insurance... I will just have to wait and see.

Mardy

I have just insured my newly completed Savannah. It is insured for 60,000. You can insure for all of the ground and flying and if you take the RAus insurance which is 10million third party property and the 250,000 for the pax then around $1850 but if you want to make the pax up to 2 million which most people take from my research its and extra 450 so around $2300 per year...that is through a broker and then QBE

I have just insured my newly completed Savannah. It is insured for 60,000. You can insure for all of the ground and flying and if you take the RAus insurance which is 10million third party property and the 250,000 for the pax then around $1850 but if you want to make the pax up to 2 million which most people take from my research its and extra 450 so around $2300 per year...that is through a broker and then QBE

That makes my $100,000 cover with the larger mentioned liability conditions about market price @ $2500 - thanks for your info.

FrankM

Remembering I am a very low time pilot 23 hrs in RAAA I am sure that comes into the price as well

Also I get a 10% discount every year for 3 years provided no claims...so 30% off that price brings it back a lot

• 2 weeks later...
Happened to me with OAMPS four years ago. rang the Sydney Office 4 times.looking for full insurance. No one returned my calls. Obviously didnt want the business and no manners to say so.

Perhaps you could try the Darwin or Broome office?

Herm, do you have a contact number for Chris?

Hi Ausmo.. it was underwritten to Chris via OAMPSS Adelaide Office. Contact is Bill Galka on 817280000

he is very helpful

regards

Mardy

Herm,Was your insurance QBE?

I might also be Guernsey's Son too...

Now that is possible.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

If your Mum is in her early seventies, visited Guernsey in her youth and attended some overnight beach parties on L'Ancresse Beach on the north of the island.....then all things are possible. Your skin would also be a 'sandy' colour.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

Yes QBE. it seems most insurance is done via them or Alliance