Where is the best state in Aust for flying Trikes?

Living on the northwest coast of Tasmania working a five day week with the odd R.D.O thrown in last year I managed to get around 18 hrs flying time in my trike.Previous years I have flown 30-40hrs but this year hasn't offered many opportunities.I am still as keen as ever although you wouldn't think it.We do cop a lot more fronts coming through than the mainland,strong seabreezes in summer that persist late into the day.Having mountainous terrain not far behind the coast gives us the katabatic winds(southerly) that we are being plagued with at the moment.I think the rats are getting more use out of my trike at the moment!I would be interested to hear from some of you fellow trikers where you are flying from and what hours you are able to fly annually?

069_boring.gif.9cee54db3616ee9ac1231638d365dc2c.gif

• Like 1

Well TT,

Over hear in East Gippsland (Sale) I used to average over 100hrs a year in my trike (for 7 years) when i was working offshore 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, being home only half the year wasn't a bad effort I though to attain over 100 a year, slowed down a bit this year due to work commitments ( normal job now).

We get some very good conditions here compared to Latrobe Valley which is only 25nm away and not surrounded by power stations and hills.

Mind you my mate Johnny 2 trikes from LTV did over 200 one year down there and he isn't an instructor.

Alf

Hi, has anyone flown south if Hobart?

That is where I will be... When I bring my kite down...

It won't be this year - maybe next year!

As I am always getting away from Sydney by going to my shed in tas, I'd be happy to meet up next time I'm there!

• Like 1

That's pretty enviable Alf,I guess it takes a lot of drive just the same to get that sort of time in the air.

I think I may have mentioned to you before that I did my training in porepunkah so I always knew you guys get some beautiful weather in Victoria and triking seems popular. Would be interested to know how some of the other states fair also?

There was a guy flying down Hobart for a while Mark and I think he was getting a few hours up but has now sold the trike,so not sure if anyone else down that way?

A conservative estimate would be 6-8 trikes across the north of the state but how many are being used I couldnt say?

Happy to meet up always.

Gary

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gary..G8T topic...been watChing the comments...trike flying hours or flightpath airtime (WateVrUfly) is not always as it may appear or YOU thinK!

Having flown in many places around tha Globe..under diverse situtions..on different Lats/Longs,..but always in trikes....

IMO..Australia offers trikers better flying conditions in the middle..although with Xception.

Northern flyers suffering short severe weather extremes..during the seasons.

..and southern pilots having significant windy days, and very cold conditions!

In tha Middle..we have eVa present south/Southeasterlys..almost evry day...no coastal influence!

...given the coast is some distance from Alice..we have NO effect from the oceans..!

Briefly from Xperince...the ocean may change temperature from Day2Nite..just 5 or 6 degrees.

The land can change from 45 degrees in the day out here..to as low as -7 degrees in the winter (day temp just 17c)!

Alice is also approx. 2400ft AMSL..effecting aircraft performance and creating ground level upper wind factor effects!

Climatic temperature, location and density altitude have a significant effect on how many flying hours we can achieve IMO.

This year I have only flown when possible due to work committments..some 45hrs.

Ralistically.. the maximuM flying hours you could achieve here is possibly in the area of 70 to 200hrs per year!

There you have it..from Cntral Australia.

Looking forward to Wat happens in the west..?

Fly with Ambition..to the Limits of your Capabilty...!

• Like 1

Air Creation,

The beauty we have in gippsland most of the year are the sea breezes, it is the best air you can fly in IMO, after a rare 40 deg day down here the sea breeze flows in every day around 4pm (I am 17nm from the coast)and the cool air off the ocean is awesome with barley a ripple in it.

I would have loved to have had my trike when i was in the mines 400kms se of port headland as the morning air there every day was cool and still right up to about 10 am.

We used to fly in in a fokker 100 around 830 am and depart from site around 930 when going home and there would be hardly a bump in the air most days while descending or climbing out.

You up there in Alice would have some great mornings and evenings and it sure is spectacular scenery even though it looks a little unforgiving.

Cheers

Alf

I do not own a trike, but I am going to go with Victoria because it is the best state for EVERYTHING!

That statement alone proves itself to be untrue!! If Vic is so good (like all the people that live in cairns from vic tell me) why are they all living in the other states telling everyone they can how good it is?

• Like 1

That statement alone proves itself to be untrue!! If Vic is so good (like all the people that live in cairns from vic tell me) why are they all living in the other states telling everyone they can how good it is?

Well I can not speak for those in cairns but I am here because of the Motel and not the state!!!!!!!

I do not own a trike, but I am going to go with Victoria because it is the best state for EVERYTHING!Although not a state, NZ would have to be an awesome place to go trike flying to!!!!

Depends on your State of mind I suppose. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

The sunshine coast of Queensland has to be absolutely the best place for triking. From the sunshine coast airspace to the tip of Fraser Island there are endless beaches and beautiful blue water. During the whale season there are opportunities for aerial watching (don't get too close though) and the weather is warmer than the southern climes which makes it a LOT better for open cockpits. There's also the Glass house mountains and the hinterland. BEAT THAT!!!

• Like 1

A lot more people from Vic that move up to Queensland come back than stay.

Alf

• Like 1

The sunshine coast of Queensland has to be absolutely the best place for triking. From the sunshine coast airspace to the tip of Fraser Island there are endless beaches and beautiful blue water. During the whale season there are opportunities for aerial watching (don't get too close though) and the weather is warmer than the southern climes which makes it a LOT better for open cockpits. There's also the Glass house mountains and the hinterland. BEAT THAT!!!

Hey Scott,

If it's that good how come you sold the trike lol, Turbulence and thermals?? lot more of that up there in the warmer weather than down here.

And i know you posted somewhere that you didnt like the trike for that 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alf

Hey Scott,If it's that good how come you sold the trike lol, Turbulence and thermals?? lot more of that up there in the warmer weather than down here.

And i know you posted somewhere that you didnt like the trike for that 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alf

Probably nothing to do with heat turbulence, its the updraught from those tail thrashing whales. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

Guest Crezzi

Q "Which is the best state in Australia for flying Trikes ?"

A Whichever one you are in at the time !

Cheers

John

Guest Howard Hughes

Wollongong is the best place in Oz for all things aviation, when I look up in the sky it would seem the trike flyers agree!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I have never seen such a vast array of flying machines go overhead as what I have since I have lived here...

Wollongong is the best place in Oz for all things aviation, when I look up in the sky it would seem the trike flyers agree!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifI have never seen such a vast array of flying machines go overhead as what I have since I have lived here...

I was there buzzing around this morning in Ned's trike.... Circuits, low passes down to 20' ...

Will be there again tomorrow as well.... It it awesome!

I was there buzzing around this morning in Ned's trike.... Circuits, low passes down to 20' ...Will be there again tomorrow as well.... It it awesome!

Well 12 trikes today at LTV in the air at one time, beautiful smooth laminar air and a wee bit cold over Mount Baw Baw ( -6 deg at alt), not a bad effort for Victoria I say.

(Mind you it is the annual 3 day WSL Queens Birthday (Southern Microlight Club) flyin being held at LTV this year lol)

Alf

I think its safe to say most of you guys are happy with the climates your flying in! 017_happy_dance.gif.8a199466e9bd67cc25ecc8b442db76ba.gif

We haven't heard from any W.A.trikers as yet?It is a place i'm a little curious about as I tried to get a t.i.f there at a microlight school in Bunbury before I had flown in a trike but missed out as it was said to be to thermal on the day.:bounce:It was Febuary though.

Victoria has a lot of variety (topography) But flying a drifter in winter on the really cold days is a no go for me now, unless the flight would be short. Once the OAT is below freezing, ( which you can have at 3,000',) you can't keep the cold out. I often think how good it would be north of Cairns, but I can't take the humidity in summer. Winter there would be fantastic. By the way the best state to fly in is sober... Nev

• Like 1

Well I'm sorry For all you Guys, Cos North West N.S.W. would have to be the most Consistently Performing Weather wise, For trikes. Were Spoil t in My opinion ! lance

Hi Lance,

Have things dried up around the Ridge yet?

Lightning Ridge airport provided the most challenging landing on our northern NSW tour last year, but that could just have been the weather on the day.

I think my home state NSW would score far better in this thread if you could fly coastal from Merimbula to Tyagarah without needing a PPL or higher.

G'Day Glen, Long time Mate. Well the Ridge hasn't Dried Up yet, We Still have five Lakes Visible in the close proximity of Town. Get up to 1500ft , look around to your North and out to the west, and there's Water all around and Beneath you. A set of Pontoons would be very handy now, I could go Fishing more often ! Your old Trike is enjoying its new Life in the Picturesc surroundings of the Coocaron and Hebel Lakes of the Big North West. The Landings at the Ridge can be Challenging at times Cos of its Position on top of the hill, That goes for both strips,so if there's any wind at all from what ever direction, you cop Rotors as it comes up and then over , The best is to drop in and touch down right up at the top, level with the Wind sock, For rwy 10 that is. Once again Mate, sorry I missed your Visit earlier this year.... But N.Z. was very Pretty, and I had the Bonus to do some Gliding while I was over there.. The old skills are not so rusty after all. Regards Lance